1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Physical or Spiritual Healing??

Discussion in '2000-02 Archive' started by SouthernBaptistBoy, Nov 16, 2002.

1. SouthernBaptistBoy

SouthernBaptistBoy New Member

Hi All ! [​IMG]

OK I have a question that I always seem to lean one way at times and other times the other way. Its James 5:13-16.

As I read this whole chapter James is talking about the spiritual condition if he then jumps into the physical in these verse and then jumps back to the spiritual in verse 16?

Do you think he is talking about spiritual , physical or both types of healing.

Thanks so much. [​IMG]

2. Dr. Bob

Dr. Bob Administrator
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    I think it is both (physical/spiritual) and that is because there is often a link between the two.

Remember the passage we read at communion? "For this cause many are weak and sick among you and some have died". For what cause? Spiritual sin led to physical illness.

Confession of sin and prayer of faith CAN heal emotionally, spiritually, physically, et al. [​IMG]

3. Ben W

Ben W Active Member
    Site Supporter

Id agree. Healing from God, should be done in the same way, be it for a Physical, Spiritual or emotional need. The two definatley go hand in hand.

4. SouthernBaptistBoy

SouthernBaptistBoy New Member

Hey Brothers [​IMG] ,

I agree also, that a lot of times illness may be due to sin, but is there healing from this illness each time there is restoration with the Lord? verse 15
    If this passage is including physical healing then it seems to me to guarantee ones physical healing verse 15. Well we know by reading scripture (Sola Scriptura) that anytime we come to God for spiritual healing we have it upon our confession and repentance this is guaranteed. But, no where in scripture are we ever guaranteed physical healing except when we wake up in glory.
    In verse 14 the greek for sick is Astheneo also translated weak comp. to acts 20:35 and so on. The Greek word for sick in verse 15 is Kamno the only other place that this word is used this way is in Heb. 12:3 "be wearied". Now to be it makes for sense for these verse to be talking about spiritual healing as the writter carries it further in verse 16, and went from there to talk about the power of praying using Elijah as an example.

so go ahead, blast holes in this interpretation, I don't mean that sarcastically, I want to know if you think I am lacking here. ;)

Your Brother in the Lord.