1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Featured pictures of a brain with mental illness for fred

Discussion in 'General Baptist Discussions' started by nodak, Apr 26, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Gina B

Gina B Active Member

Fred, quit acting trolly, you know perfectly well what it is and how things are.

When some idiot goes out and smokes crack, it changes the way their brain works and they act "out of their mind." There are things that affect the brain in both positive and negative ways.

The brain itself is also affected by nerve development and integration with nerves, vessels, etc, may be affected by how a person is raised or their environment. Not everything can be seen in the brain. We're complex creations and science doesn't yet know everything and what is known sometimes cannot be seen until after death. For example, take Alzheimer's. Nobody USED to be able to see it in the brain and as of 10 years ago (haven't kept up) it still couldn't be "seen" until a diagnosed person died and the brain itself could be studied.

Sounds like you're probably not the type to want to honestly go study these things out but on the small chance that you are, go read about infants in orphanages who are neglected or neglected by parents and see how that changes them FOR LIFE, including atypical behaviors. (think of a 9 months old not crying when another kid accidentally clunks the baby in the head with a hard toy) Think about Alzheimer's, think about yourself and how you act when sick, happy, on meds, etc.. A good portion of this is your mind (okay, in your case, think brain interacting with mind) firing off reactions to what's going on around you or what chemicals you've put in your body. You REALLY think nothing affects your mind without your complete control?

Nevermind, you do, but maybe someone who doesn't know this stuff will be logical enough to ponder it and quit making all mental illness into sin.

2. abcgrad94

abcgrad94 Active Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    This thread is a great example of why we should not seek advice from arm-chair wannabe doctors and instead go to our informed, qualified physicians. Had I listened to the stupidity demonstrated in this thread, I would have died of suicide years ago.

Don't ever, ever, EVER tell someone they are sinning and should stop taking their meds. This can cause suicide and their blood will be on YOUR HANDS.

Ya know what? I think that while some folks do have mental illness, there are others who probably CAUSE it!!!:BangHead:

3. Gina B

Gina B Active Member

I'm pretty sure you and others won't agree with me on this, but as "liberal" as I'm painted, this is part of why I'm hesitant to agree that women should be in positions where vital, split decisions are made such as being in a fighting zone in the military, police on the street, etc..

Cuz I know I'm not the only who gets pretty dang irrational at certain time and then you wanna start adding in hot flashes and hormonal changes that come with them?

I know many wouldn't admit it, but we don't always make the best decisions during those times. Put a weapon in my hands or give me the capability of saying yes to attacking a jerky government in some other country that's been harassing ours when I'm feeling that way? Not a good idea.

Speaking of which, doesn't the Bible mention not holding a woman responsible for acting like an idiot during a pregnancy? Doesn't it also talk about mental illness, as in saying that we are to show pity to those who have it? (weaker minded might be the term I'm thinking is used for mental illness)

4. Arbo

Arbo Active Member
    Site Supporter

Based on certain posts, this thread also reinforces the slogan that a mind is a terrible thing to waste.

#84 Arbo, Apr 28, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 28, 2012
  5. Arbo

Arbo Active Member
    Site Supporter

Well, that wouldn't be an interesting thread! :laugh:

6. Scarlett O.

Scarlett O. Moderator

Faith:
    Baptist
    It's not that I disagree with you, just not agreeing for these reasons. I just can't paint women blanketly that way. Some women never experience PMS - some never even have a cycle. Others breeze through with no complications. On the other hand, some men are incapable of making split decisions and vital decision for no other reason that they are just incapable.

I don't believe that capability to behave under pressure is gender-based.

Oh, my. I got to see that verse for myself.

7. Steadfast Fred

Steadfast Fred Active Member

lack of compassion? Really? Wow!

Sorry, but you are wrong. If I had no compassion for those who were deceived into believing that they have a sick mind, I wouldn't even tell them the truth... that the mind is immaterial and it is impossible for it to contract a sickness or disease.

8. Steadfast Fred

I have yet to see any pictures of a mind that is ill.

9. Steadfast Fred

As to the accusation of me being a troll, it is unfounded.

I did not start this thread, it was started by nodak.

Wikipedia gives the following definition for 'troll'...

In Internet slang, a troll is someone who posts inflammatory,[2] extraneous, or off-topic messages in an online community, such as an online discussion forum, chat room, or blog, with the primary intent of provoking readers into an emotional response[3] or of otherwise disrupting normal on-topic discussion.[4]

It could be said that those who are asking for pictures of things that have nothing to do with the topic of this thread are the trolls according to the definition of troll.

And the thread was addressed to me, so it is clear it is not I who is coming in to the thread being disruptive.

#89 Steadfast Fred, Apr 28, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 28, 2012
  10. annsni

annsni Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

And yet you have failed to show me a sinful heart.

11. Steadfast Fred

A sinful heart is not the topic of this thread, annsni. According to the definition of troll, you are trolling.

12. markwaltermd

markwaltermd New Member

Has anyone considered that Fred thrives on this??? Perhaps killing this thread is the most Christian-minded response.

13. Steadfast Fred

How about it, markwaltermd?

All you have to do to prove me wrong is present a picture of a mind. Or more solid evidence, a Scripture verse that states a mind can get ill.

Surely you can find one.

14. DHK

DHK <b>Moderator</b>

15. Steadfast Fred

Interesting video.

I don't believe that is "mental illness" though.

Matter of fact, the video didn't say anything about 'mental illness.'

16. Fred's Wife

Fred's Wife Member

The Amazing Brain

There is probably nothing else in the physical universe that is more complex than the human brain. The web of neurons defies description. The whole mental process consists of neurons transmitting specific chemicals between each other across synapses or gaps. As a result, each cell can communicate with every other cell at lightning speed. In one cubic millimeter of the brain, there are one billion connections among cells. This amounts to about 400 billion synaptic junctions in a gram of brain tissue. The brain’s total number of connections rivals the stars of the universe in number, yet the connections follow an orderly plan.

Alan L. Gillen, Body by Design, Masterbooks, 2002, p.88

The Amazing Brain

This "orderly plan" in the human brain is being tampered with by drugs, such as Paxil, Prozac, Effexor, Valium, Ritalin, Zoloft, etc. Materialistic science has denied the nonphysical spirit and soul of man and turned him into a stimulus-response mechanism...and this was the basis for Sigmund Freud's theories and is still behind the treatment of mental disorders with drugs. The doctors who prescribe these psychiatric drugs (most of which are highly addictive) do not know how these drugs work or the full range of their effects.

17. DHK

DHK <b>Moderator</b>

"Disorder" might be the right word. It was the result of a concussion. It is not "normal."

18. Steadfast Fred

It was indeed a result of an accident.

19. Winman

Winman Active Member

Sorry, I am late to this thread.

You want a picture of a brain with mental illness? That's it? No problem, got one right here.

[​IMG]

You should have asked me sooner.

20. Steadfast Fred

Now prove that mental illness instead of just claiming that Obama suffers from one.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.