1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Featured pictures of a brain with mental illness for fred

Discussion in 'General Baptist Discussions' started by nodak, Apr 26, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Winman

Winman Active Member

You want me to prove that Obama has mental illness? Have you paid any attention to what he has been doing to our country the last 3 years?

But just to let you know, that was supposed to be a joke. Lighten up.

Not all mental illness is caused by chemical imbalance in the brain, but it can be the case. Take a hit of LSD and find out for yourself.

2. DHK

DHK <b>Moderator</b>

3. Benjamin

Benjamin Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I don’t think a "concussion" is the same kind of “traumatic assault” on the brain in regards to the original intent of the phrase, although I could be wrong…but it is an interesting story and gives me an opening to give my 2 cents on these issues.

When someone overcomes an area of mental weakness by balancing it, and/or by compensating through using another type of thought process I think it only natural that special connections are formed and are developed in the brain; if an excessive amount of these special links are developed it could certainly set a person apart as unique and this could be either good or bad. Still, I wouldn’t necessarily call it or think of it as some type of unavoidable “illness” and I strongly believe the spirit of a person has a lot to do with “why” theses thought processes begin to from.

BTW, this transformed “genius” is also likely to develop some serious postural issues of the physical type that are very much unwanted if keeps leaning over the table the way he does to draw these fractals. Relating to that many would say the cause of his pathology is “illness from bone spurs and thoracocervical degeneration”…but the “real” “cause” will come naturally through his compensating and causing musculature imbalances because of his poor posture which then brought on osteopathic deformities.

So to make a point about “mental illnesses” as well as “physical illnesses” I think there is an attitude in the world to quickly find a “scape goat” such as calling things an “illness” AS IF there were no “personal” responsibility regarding root cause! That said, would I go around calling others “sinners” for having missed the mark of perfection of their mental or physical development? HARDLY!! I rather go about do my best to use my skills of correcting muscular imbalances for the physical and often find I may have opportunity to correct some spiritual imbalances along the way through my knowledge of the Lord Jesus Christ which might help with the mental aspects.

One more point to make is that if some of these things (either physical or mental) have gone far enough there may be no way to completely correct the pathology. I think it is especially wrong to then be judgmental and point fingers at others thinking of them as sinners rather than displaying a nature of love, understanding and forgiveness in grace as in the example our Lord has given us.

#103 Benjamin, Apr 28, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 28, 2012
  4. annsni

annsni Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

I am? That's funny - I would say no one else on this thread would agree with you. :)

But you ask for a picture of a mind that is ill fully knowing that there is no way to get a picture of a mind.

Yet I ask for a picture of a heart - that is fully able to be given - but just add the qualifier that I'd like to see one that is sinful and you have not produced one for me. Why not?

5. fortytworc

fortytworc Member

If certain treatments, approaches , etc. help bring about good results it doesn't matter what label you slap on it.

6. Steadfast Fred

Steadfast Fred Active Member

Your request had nothing to do with the topic. (see the definition of troll)

The fact about the heart is, they all are deceitful and desperately wicked according to the Word of God. So no need to show a picture of a heart since the Word tells us that all are wicked.

7. fortytworc

fortytworc Member

Show me a picture of a troll. Can't do it? Fred doesn't exist. Given that....what's up with this thread? Have we lost our Minds!!?

8. Steadfast Fred

Ever see Dr Peter Breggin's video of his testimony before congress on the effects of psychotropic drugs?

The fact is, psychotropic drugs do more harm than good. They make the person who is taking them dependent on them.

I personally had a family member who was prescribed psychotropic drugs who became so dependent on them, although she took them on a daily basis she eventually became violent toward others and self-destructive. And yes, I have witnessed her actions first-hand.

Sadly, she is dead now

9. Fred's Wife

Fred's Wife Member

A No Brainer

Seeking and Finding God

There is no way that chemical reactions and electrical impulses among the brain's cells can explain a sense of right and wrong, the beauty of a sunset, or the rational and moral choices we continually make. No material of any kind, either in the brain or outside of it, has any qualities to explain our ability to understand ideas such as truth, justice, holiness, mercy, and grace. These concepts are totally nonphysical. They do not originate within the brain, nor are they a conditioned response to anything anywhere in the entire physical universe.

Indeed, the brain does not think at all. If thoughts originated in the brain, we would be prisoners of our brains, wondering what our brain would think of next, and compelled to do whatever the brain decided. On the contrary, every person is convinced that he or she makes rational choices by weighing alternatives, not because the brain gets an impulse to make the body act in a certain way. While we are prone to react impulsively to the stimuli of physical temptations that breed lust, we are not forced to do so. The moral struggles we all experience to resist temptation are proof that we are not stimulus-response mechanisms ruled by impulses but that we do make genuine choices, though our choices are not always rational or morally right.

Dave Hunt SEEKING & FINDING GOD p. 9

A No Brainer

The "mind" is nonphysical....therefore it cannot get a "physical" disease. Thoughts do not originate in the brain...if thoughts originated in the brain, as some would have us to believe, then we would all be "prisoners" of our brains.

10. Gina B

Gina B Active Member

Here are your photos, Fred:

DEPRESSION: http://beawarecampaign.files.wordpress.com/2011/07/brain.jpg

SCHIZOPHRENIA: http://www.biologyreference.com/Po-Re/Psychiatric-Disorders-Biology-of.html

BIPOLAR: http://www.psicofarmacos.info/?contenido=varios&farma=clobenzorex

For bipolar, scroll down to the three photo strips above where it says "...y las estructuras relacionadas forman parte de un circuito cerebral que regula la emoción donde los niños con trastorno bipolar mostraron una mayor activación que los controles en la calificación de temor ante rostros neutrales."

If you have a grasp of root words (or happen to speak this) it should be relatively easy to read what they're saying, but even if not, the pictures are pretty clear.

11. Steadfast Fred

Funny, not one of those photos is a picture of a mind.

12. annsni

annsni Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Gina - The depressed brain is amazing!!! It's incredible just how our brain affects our thinking and feelings. Wow!

13. padredurand

padredurand Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Which is a word you have failed to define. What, in your understanding, is a mind. Be very specific. You can even use big words. I have a dictionary.

14. Steadfast Fred

I have a dictionary too.

Webster's 1828 Dictionary [K-Z]
    mind
    MIND, n. L. reminiscor; L. mens; Gr. memory, mention, to remember, mind, ardor of mind, vehemence; anger. Mind signifies properly intention, a reaching or inclining forward to an object, from the primary sense of extending, stretching or inclining, or advancing eagerly, pushing or setting forward, whence the Greek sense of the word, in analogy with the Teutonic mod, moed, muth, mind, courage, spirit, mettle. So L. animus, animosus.

1. Intention; purpose; design.

The sacrifice of the wicked is abomination; how much more, when he bringeth it with a wicked mind. Prov.21.

2. Inclination; will; desire; a sense much used, but expressing less than settled purpose; as in the common phrases, "I wish to know your mind;" "let me know your mind;" "he had a mind to go;" "he has a partner to his mind."

3. Opinion; as, to express one's mind. We are of one mind.

4. Memory; remembrance; as, to put one in mind; to call to mind; the fact is out of my mind; time out of mind. From the operations of the intellect in man,this word came to signify.

5. The intellectual or intelligent power in man; the understanding; the power that conceives, judges or reasons.

I fear I am not in my perfect mind.

So we speak of a sound mind, a disordered mind, a weak mind, a strong mind, with reference to the active powers of the understanding; and in a passive sense, it denotes capacity, as when we say, the mind cannot comprehend a subject.

6. The heart or seat of affection.

Which were a grief of mind to Isaac and Rebekah. Gen.26.

7. The will and affection; as readiness of mind. Acts.17.

8. The implanted principle of grace. Rom.7.

MIND, v.t. To attend to; to fix the thoughts on; to regard with attention.

Cease to request me; let us mind our way.

Mind not high things. Rom.12.

1. To attend to or regard with submission; to obey. His father told him to desist, but he would not mind him.

2. To put in mind; to remind.

3. To intend; to mean.

MIND, v.i. To be inclined or disposed to incline.

When one of them mindeth to go into rebellion.

Notice that not one of those definitions describes the mind as a physical object, nor do they say the mind gets sick.

15. padredurand

padredurand Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I know how Webster defines the word. I want to know how SF defines it....if you don't mind.

16. abcgrad94

abcgrad94 Active Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Ever see a pic of your soul, spirit or intellect?

17. Steadfast Fred

I never have, but there are a couple people in the Bible who saw souls in heaven.

And let's not forget the rich man who saw Abraham and Lazarus in sheole.

18. abcgrad94

abcgrad94 Active Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    True. The Bible talks about those who are poor in spirit. Since we can't take a pic of the spirit, does that mean it isn't there or that since we can't see it, it doesn't get ill or "poor?" Of course not. Same with the intellect. Same with the feeble-minded. I've never seen a pic of a "thirsty soul" but King David certainly had one.

19. Winman

Winman Active Member

If you want to see scripture that says the mind can be sick, there is.

Pro 13:12 Hope deferred maketh the heart sick: but when the desire cometh, it is a tree of life.

The word heart is leb, which means the inner man, mind, will, heart, or understanding.

The word sick is chalah, which means weak, ill, or diseased.

20. fortytworc

fortytworc Member

the spirit can be joyful. it can be vexed, quenched, sorrowful, it can cry out in pain and loneliness. Never saw a 100% verifiable picture of spirit, but apparently spirit can experience
    many, if not all things the body and mind can. Emotions and the psychological weight that can accompany them can bring about extreme physical reactions. as witnessed by Jesus.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.