1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

'Pilgrims Progress' is for adults, not children!

Discussion in 'Books & Publications Forum' started by procyon, Nov 29, 2005.

1. procyon

procyon New Member

Well, it is far better than the books of C.S.Lewis! It is straight-forward. When I said it is close to the word of God, I did not mean to say that it is the Word of God but that it is based on a true understanding of the Word of God and the sturdy Christian life that God expects from all of us.

2. NaasPreacher (C4K)

NaasPreacher (C4K) Well-Known Member

If I could only own two books, one would be the Bible and the other would be PP.

However, I think its reachings and principles are so importannt that our children should be exposed to them even at an early age.

3. procyon

procyon New Member

Well, I am sure that our Moderator from Eire, will be very happy to know that my posting on Pilgrims Progress is for Adults has stimulated a lot of discussion.

But sad to say, C4K, you will find that most people would prefer the 'fast food' [with high cholestorol] of modern evangelical writers with the 'strong meat' [good protein] of Bunyan.

4. mioque

mioque New Member

Some of the information on the orionsgate site is certainly wrong.
    To be specific.
    "Second only to the Bible, what book has sold more copies, has been translated into more languages, has gone through more editions"
    "
    That book would be the 'Imitatio Christi' written by Thomas a Kempis and not PP.

5. NaasPreacher (C4K)

I think you must have been reading someone else's post. I have agreed with this contention from the beginning of this thread.

Just read some of my comments about the value of PP.

6. NaasPreacher (C4K)

BTW, on this forum I am not a moderator - just another poster ;) .

7. procyon

procyon New Member

It's very sad that very few are reading Pilgrim's Progress these days. But they are excited over C.S.Lewis and his heretical books, and even making films of them. Goes to show how decadent the world has become.

I guess the movie producers wouldn't know how to film Pilgrim's Progress. Thank goodness! Otherwise, they would have messed it up!

It takes a spiritual mind to understand and appreciate Pilgrim's Progress. A carnal mind will go ga-ga over Lewis!

8. procyon

procyon New Member

If you dont read Christian theology into C.S.Lewis, you might enjoy his Narnia books - which are fantasies for children!

But Pilgrim's Progress is more robust, much stronger and so true! It is for those who are 'adults' [mature] in Christ!

9. mioque

mioque New Member

Procyon
    "I guess the movie producers wouldn't know how to film Pilgrim's Progress. Thank goodness! Otherwise, they would have messed it up!"
    "
    While I'm not going to disagree with you I will point out that if you Procyon were the greatest filmer on earth and you filmed Pilgrim's Progress, there still would be people on messageboards claiming that you messed up it's message and that the book's author wasn't a real Christian anyway.

10. procyon

procyon New Member

Mioque, have you read Pilgrim's Progress recently [within the last 3 months]? Do you know about the great tragedy that took place in Vanity Fair? [​IMG]

I wish they would bring out Pilgrim's Progress in modern English. Then, at least, young people will realise that the world is more than Vanity Fair, it has a deep hatred for the Truth. No wonder our Lord said, 'The world will hate you!' John 15.19 'But be Faithful unto death' Rev 2.10 [​IMG] [​IMG]

11. Bro. James

Bro. James Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Yes, we are still in the war for Mansoul. The whole world should know--including the young.

This is my 1000th and last post on this board.

Selah,

Bro. James

12. procyon

procyon New Member

Congratulations, Brother. I've yet to reach my 100th post. [​IMG]

Is there a Pilgrim's Progress Club somewhere on the Internet? [​IMG]

13. mioque

mioque New Member

Procyon
    "Mioque, have you read Pilgrim's Progress recently [within the last 3 months]?"
    "
    No. It's been over 2 decades.

" Do you know about the great tragedy that took place in Vanity Fair? "
    "
    Faithfull get's captured and burned at the stake.

....am I right?

14. procyon

procyon New Member

So you know what happens to those who are called, chosen and Faithful!!! All who live a godly life in Christ Jesus shall suffer persecution!

Ive posted something on your Greatest Belgian. But you seem to be from Holland? :cool: [​IMG]

15. mioque

mioque New Member

" But you seem to be from Holland?"
    "
    Most certainly not! ;)
    The name Holland only covers 2 of the western provinces of the Netherlands, I live in one of the eastern ones.

16. procyon

procyon New Member

Mioque, 20 years back is too long. :rolleyes: You are still in Haran and need to get to El Bethel! :cool:

17. mioque

mioque New Member

Procyon
    Still rereading Le morte d' Arthur at the moment. After that...
    Well it beats rereading Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire. [​IMG]

18. NaasPreacher (C4K)

Although I am a big fan of PP I don't think it is the only way to return to "El Bethel."

19. procyon

procyon New Member

Haran=life of compromise
    El Bethel = consecration
    Anyone who is serious about Pilgrim's Progress must live a life of consecration to the Lord.
    In fact the Lord demands our consecration. Check out 2 Cor 5.15
    [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] :cool:

20. NaasPreacher (C4K)

Thanks for the clarification on your terms. I actually got your point the first time.

But not everyone who lives a life of consecration must needs be serious about Pilgrims Progress

No argument there. But what does God's instruction to live a consecrated life have to do with Pilgrim's Progress? I think it is a greatr aid to consecrated living, but not a necessary one.

You pointed out to Mioque that if she had not read PP in 20 years she needed to get out of Haran and to El Bethel. Your implication was clear, anyone who had not read Pilgrims Progress in 20 years is a compromiser. If that was indeed your point, then you err.