1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

'Pilgrims Progress' is for adults, not children!

Discussion in 'Books & Publications Forum' started by procyon, Nov 29, 2005.

1. NaasPreacher (C4K)

NaasPreacher (C4K) Well-Known Member

So you think Bunyan only wrote the book for those who were on high spiritual plane and it is of no benefit to instruct those who are seeking to grow spiritually? Of course it is an allegory, he makes that clear in his apology. We all know that it is far from some spiritulised fairy tail.

Sorry friend, this book as been of tremendous spiritual help to my family (including children) and me and none of us would qualify as spiritual giants. We are mere pilgrims plodding along to the Celestial City. We. like Christian, at times veer off the path and find returning to the path much more difficult than leaving it. Vanity Fair is a constant temptation, and PP helps me to remember the dangers there. I have been flat on my back, with Apollyon ready to strike a fatal blow, when I have remembered Christian reaching for his sword and Apollyon taking flight.

I do NOT trivialise this, probably the greatest human authored book, by saying that children can benefit from it. I think our brother Bunyan would be shocked that some would consider this book to be intended for only the spiritually mature, a status our brother never claimed for himself.

He are just two lines from his apology for the book.

Apprarently he intended the book for the helpless and listless, hardly words to describe spiritual giants.

Bunyan had a heart for children, even writing a book specifically for them, I can hardly accept that he would exclude children from this amazing text and the lessons it contains for ALL who will heed its words. Let Buntan share his purpose with us.

The slothful and blind are hardly spiritual men, yet Bunyan gave this book to them (and me).

2. PastorSBC1303

PastorSBC1303 Active Member

Wow I can't believe y'all are still going on this topic.

BTW, I am in complete agreement with C4K.