1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Pilgrims Progress

Discussion in 'Books & Publications Forum' started by tyndale1946, Dec 4, 2001.

1. tyndale1946

tyndale1946 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    How many here have read Pilgrims Progress by John Bunyan? Some older brethren in our church told me when they went to school this used to be required reading. I heard some other folks on here discussing J.R.R. Tolkien and his writings along with C.S. Lewis and his but John Bunyan was first.

I was able to read Pilgrims Progress on the web in its full entirety and would recommend it to everyone. What a story and vision and what a God blessed writer. Here is the web site so you all can read it on line:
    http://acacia.pair.com/Acacia.John.Bunyan/Sermons.Allegories/Pilgrim.s.Progress/index.html
    For those who have never read it, do so you are in for a Christian literary treat... Brother Glen [​IMG]

[ December 04, 2001: Message edited by: tyndale1946 ]

[ December 04, 2001: Message edited by: tyndale1946 ]

2. donnA

donnA Active Member

I read it several years ago, and loved it. John Bunyun must have had great spiritual insigght, he was certainly gifted by God. I would live to read it again. Thanks for the link.

3. Barnabas H.

Barnabas H. <b>Oldtimer</b>

Faith:
    Baptist
    Thanks for the link Bro. Glen! I have read the book about 50 years ago the frist time in Hungarian, then when I came to the US and was drafted in the US Army I read it again in English around the early sixties. I have it in my private library for folks who want to read it. It is a great book of encouragement for the people of faith! [​IMG]

4. dfd2

dfd2 New Member

Pilgrims Progress is a superb book of the Christian life. The insight that Bunyan had came in large part, imho, from him spending most of his life in jail for refusing to stop preaching. His life story is good to read also if you look it up on the net.

5. HankD

HankD Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
  6. Dr. Bob

Dr. Bob Administrator
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Read it, studied it as part of "great English". I was supposed to be impressed, but was not. I personally am not "into" allegory. I teach logic and rhetoric.

I am a literalist, fundamentalist - the very core of which an anti-allegorical approach to the Scripture. So the shifting of my mind to look at what this/that represent, etc etc was not of benefit for me.

Like many of the Puritan writers better.

p.s. I am not into sci-fi either. C.S. Lewis and his witches, Tolkein and his rings, or Harry Potter just don't compute. sorry

7. Psalm145 3

Psalm145 3 New Member

I actually agree with Dr. Bob for once! :eek:
    I started reading Pilgrim's Progress last month, but just couldn't get into it. Too allegorical.

I like the old Puritan books that bore most people to death with doctrine!

8. Kiffin

Kiffin New Member

Love Pilgrim's Progress! :cool: Truly a classic. It tells allegorically the plan of Salvation and you can find all 5 points of Calvinism in the allegory. But don't let that spook you my non Calvinist friends [​IMG]

9. Gina B

Gina B Active Member

Loved the book, but it's been a while and I'd love to read it again now that I'm saved and perhaps identify with different characters, so thanks for the link! ;)
    da Gina

10. J.R. Graves

J.R. Graves New Member

Dear Brethren,

Last summer I taught through Pilgrim's Progress at my church on Wednesday nights. We watched the adult version of the film (there is also a cartoon version) in 15 minute segments and then worked through a 3 or 4 page handout about what we had watched. Chapel Library in Florida had some excellent quizes on the story. It took 3 weeks to finish. My people loved it. I would recommend anyone to teach it in your churches.

11. Chick Daniels

Chick Daniels Member

I tend to agree with Dr. Bob on this one...the book seems so long, and the metaphors don't always quite fit--if I remember correctly, after Christian had his backpack of burden (representing the sin problem) drop off at the cross (conversion), the reality of his salvation was then represented by a scroll throughout the rest of the book. He had to show up at river (representing physical death) with the scroll or he doesn't have admittance to heaven. Not long after he gets the scroll, doesn't he fall asleep, the scroll falls out, and then he wakes up and goes on his way without it. Upon the realization that he lost it, he had to go back and find it again. What does this metaphor say about the security of the believer? Am I all wet? Am I remembering the story correctly?

Chick