1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Piper and Warren: Together for What?

Discussion in 'General Baptist Discussions' started by swaimj, Apr 8, 2010.

1. asterisktom

asterisktom Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    No, its called getting back to other things. I made my point. You didn't get it. Life goes on.

3 or 4 of the links I gave had the point that I am supposedly shying away from. I am not going to keep repeating myself.

And if you want to be insulting now, well, that is up to you.

Take care.

2. asterisktom

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    But this thread has shown me one thing very clearly: People are seriously confused on Rick Warren. I have decided to write an in-depth article on him on my Xanga site. I really thought that more Christians would have had greater discernment, especially Baptists with their strong background of respect for the Bible.

3. asterisktom

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
  4. SolaSaint

SolaSaint Well-Known Member

I'm with you Tom. I feel also that Warren rubs elbows with some very questionable fellows. Scripture (in many places) clearly warns Christians to be wary of false teachers and wolves in sheep's clothing. Warren is dangerously walking a thin line and crosses over into "can't we all just get along" and compromises the gospel message IMO.

5. Benjamin

Benjamin Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    No, it's called a "smokescreen" when one avoids the issue meant to get to the truth of a matter in a claim by reverting to other subjects.

You sure did! You made a false accusation which was I specifically noted and I called you on.

"I" didn't get it?!? To begin with, I simply asked for evidence of your "specific accusation" (which I even spelled out fo you) in which you claimed called for condemnation. You refused. You then offered nothing but fallacy to the argument (BTW, I am using the term "argument" as meaning a philosophical term that uses logic to get to the truth in a claim.) I spelled out exactly what you said in your claim, in context, sir, it is you who is not getting "it". (i.e. rational reasoning to support the truth of a claim)

I don't want to be insulting; I want recognition of the importance of getting to the truth of a claim in which you made here upon another. If it is insulting to you to be faced with this dilemma of being exposed in stating an untruth, that insult is self imposed as you are participating on a debate board and my purpose is not to insult but to reveal the truth in a matter concerning a "specific" statement/claim (not many statements which simply function as a smokesceen) through logical reasonings. (Philosophical Debate)

#25 Benjamin, Apr 12, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 12, 2010
  6. webdog

webdog Active Member
    Site Supporter

You have proven that some are indeed confused on Rick Warren.

#26 webdog, Apr 12, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 12, 2010
  7. webdog

webdog Active Member
    Site Supporter

You know...it would actually help to provided his statement in context.

Why wouldn't RW be speaking to Muslims? Do you only speak to believers? Would you work with a pro-life muslim to overturn Roe v. Wade?

8. preachinjesus

preachinjesus Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

I think this thread does well to demonstrate the reality of Christianity today:

It is easier to throw bricks than build bridges...and some are far more satisfied by the throwing.

Again, I am elated that Pastor Piper has invited Pastor Warren to this conference. (I won't be there but I don't go to conferences) It will provide a much needed bridge between fellow Kingdom workers. Thanks to both these men for using their bricks to build another bridge. :)

9. asterisktom

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I am referring to speaking in a conference of Muslims, not just speaking privately to one. I write this as a clarification for others, not to W.

10. asterisktom

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    It is easier to build arguments out of stale cliches than to make your point with Scripture.

11. webdog

webdog Active Member
    Site Supporter

I fail to see the difference, nor how it is relevant.

12. ReformedBaptist

ReformedBaptist Well-Known Member

Hey brother, keep up the good work. And I appreciate your prayers. We have yet to find a biblical church in our area.

13. asterisktom

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Thanks very much, RefB. We will pray for you in your church situation. For the longest time we were in the same situation. In fact, now we do have fairly good pastor (Masters grad, but older). He is not a 5 pointer like me, but he does preach expositionally - almost unheard of here in Del Rio.

14. THEOLDMAN

THEOLDMAN New Member

Who knows, next year he might invite MacArthur or Al Mohler . . . Let's hope not...Piper and Warren are VERY DIFFERENT than those two gentlemen....and I ain't crazy about Piper or Warren...But I choose to love them anyway. MacA and Mohler....I'm trying...Lord help me !!!!!

15. Dr. Bob

Dr. Bob Administrator
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Just got my reservation - Oct 1-3. Will buy coffee for any BB'ers who attend for this great time of blessing.

Going to room with two SBC pastors! Pray for me . . .

R. Albert Mohler, Jr., R. C. Sproul, Thabiti Anyabwile, Francis Chan, Rick Warren, and John Piper. What a fabulous lineup!! Great diversity within the Church and great to look outside the tiny ifb box (IFB are only 6% of Baptists in the USA and you'd think they were the vast majority from the vanity of the few!)