1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Pirates of the Caribbean

Discussion in 'General Baptist Discussions' started by evangelist6589, Oct 31, 2011.

1. evangelist6589

evangelist6589 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    If you have seen the latest film there is a missionary named Philip whom plays in the film. Out of curiosity I am wondering if anyone knows what type of schooling he came from. Was it the Puritans, Anabaptists or what? Thanks..

2. plain_n_simple

plain_n_simple Active Member

University of Disney?

3. North Carolina Tentmaker

I really liked the character of Philip. Jerry Bruckheimer said in an interview that the entire character, including his being a missionary was based on an idea from Johnny Depp. There is no reference in the movie I know of to his denomination, training, or school, but we can make some inferences.

My favorite line from Philip comes when Blackbeard is stopped from killing him (again) by his daughter. She wishes to save Blackbeard’s soul and says something like “every soul can be saved.” Blackbeard asks Philip if this is true and Philip says something like, “Yes, but you may be a long shot.” It is a good line if you haven’t seen the movie. Anyway based on that comment Philip was certainly not a Calvinist.

Merciful, courageous, and totally good Philip makes a good character. He is terrified by the things he does not know that seem to contradict his Bible, he tries to change those around him, mostly to his failure, but in the end takes responsibility for his own actions and extends mercy to the creature (mermaid) who seems to challenge his faith. There is a lot we can learn from Philip.

4. preachinjesus

preachinjesus Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

From my recollection of the movie (which was a meh! movie...weakest of the four) was that there was no specific info given on him outside of him being a missionary.

This shouldn't be surprising.

Hollywood is no fair place for distinguishing theological traditions in Christianity. Given his appearance, some of the language, and one or two symbols he wore I guessed (or assumed) he was a theologically amorphous Protestant missionary. No more, no less.

I'm thankful he was protrayed well in the movie.

5. evangelist6589

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist

So he would not be a puritan, because they were mostly Calvinist. However that depends on the type of Calvinist. Some may be calvinistic, but are not a 5 pt Calvinist. And then we get to Reformed, and there are differences between fully Reformed, and 5 pt calvinist. For example John MacArthur is a 5 pt Calvinist, but does not subscribe to Reformed eschatology, and some other areas. I spoke to a student of a Reformed seminary once whom told me about the differences between reformed and 5 pt Calvinist. James White is a classic example of a Reformed pastor.

Philip also said "hell bound ship" and that says right there that he was not seeker friendly in his evangelism, as such a statement would get anyone axed in a man centered church as being too dogmatic and unfriendly. Philip in a way reminds me of myself, as I also have done a but of evangelism, and have used similar statements. I have at times referred to someones church as a"hell bound church." I have mimicked Fundamentalist evangelists who have taught me such language.

6. evangelist6589

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Actually I think this movie ranked as the second best of the series, and almost as good as the first one.

Not everything in Hollywood is fake contrary to what many believe. There were some X-files episodes that featured a third wave/word of faith/miracle man type ministry. I have had experience in such churches and what was displayed in the episode was actually quite realistic.