1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

PLAGIARISM in the KJV

Discussion in '2005 Archive' started by neopallium, Feb 4, 2005.

1. neopallium

neopallium New Member

Brothers,

Today, PLAGIARISM is certainly the pinnacle of academic dishonesty. The use of another's ideas and writings in order to gain acclaim is certainly a serious matter.

Addressing the matter of the King James Version (KJV) it is important to understand the historical context of the idea.

Copyright laws and most certainly the concept of Plagiarism seem to follow closely the advent of the printing press.

This link,
    http://arl.cni.org/info/frn/copy/timeline.html
    gives a quick account of the history of copyright laws.

It is interesting to note that the first edition of the Authorized Version of the KJV bible (1611) was printed over 50 years before the Licensing Act of 1662.

Is it any coincidence that proverbs 23:23 states,
    "Buy the truth and sell it not."

I'm certain that it was and is God's intent that his word remains free from constraint regarding distribution and reproduction.

In my opinion, to accuse the KJV translators of plagiarism seems a bit temporal.

The concept of plagiarism seems to be a rather new concept.

2. Logos1560

Logos1560 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    THE CONCISE CAMBRIDGE HISTORY OF ENGLISH LITERATURE noted that "from 1586 licence to publish was granted by the Archbishop of Canterbury and the Bishop of London" (p. 141).
    THE DICTIONARY OF NATIONAL BIOGRAPHY pointed out that Archbishop John Whitgift (1530?-1604)caused
    to be passed in the High Commission Court in 1586
    the following decree: "No manuscript was to be set up in type until it had been perused and licensed by the archbishop or the bishop of London. The press of any printer who disobeyed the ordinance was to be at once destroyed; he was prohibited from following his trade thenceforth, and was to suffer six months' imprisonment" (Vol. XXI, p. 133).

Theodore Letis wrote: "This Bible [the KJV]
    had the 'Cum Privilegio' ('with privilege' printed on it which meant that the Crown of England, as the official head of the state church, held the copyright to this Bible, giving permission only to those printers which the Crown had chosen" (REVIVAL OF THE ECCLESIASTICAL TEXT, p. 29).

3. Logos1560

Logos1560 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    KJV-only author Robert Sergent wrote: "Tyndale's translation greatly influenced the Authorized Version which retains some 80% of Tyndale's English text" (ENGLISH BIBLE: MANUSCRIPT EVIDENCE, p. 193).

A KJV-only author has accused present-day translations of plariarism. A consistent application of her reasoning would be a problem for her own KJV-only view.

Gail Riplinger wrote: "In Matt. 10:18 the King James Bible replaced the two word phrase 'head rulers' with the single word 'governors. Every new version has plagiarized this and many other succinct KJV word" (IN AWE OF THY WORD, p. 279).

While Tyndale's, Great, and Bishops' have "head rulers," it was the Geneva Bible that
    used "governors" at Matthew 10:18 before the KJV
    did. According to a consistent application of Riplinger's own reasoning, the KJV took or plagiared this word from the Geneva.

Concerning Eph. 6:4, Gail Riplinger wrote: "The NKJV's only match was stolen from the KJV" (IN AWE, p. 381).

4. Providential

Providential Guest

Irrelevant side-issue. Adieu

5. Dr. Bob

Dr. Bob Administrator
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Prov won't lower to discuss this? Why? It is evident that translations borrow wording from previous.

Remember the AV1611 preface that explains this concept? Hence 80%+ of the AV is word-for-word with previous Bibles.

Wonder if Tyndale or Coverdale were paid royalties for all that was "borrowed" (euphemism for "stolen")

6. Dr. Bob

Dr. Bob Administrator
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    COVERDALE BIBLE, AD 1535
    The Lorde is my shepherde, I can wante nothinge.
    He fedeth me in a grene pastures and ledeth me to a fresh water.
    He quickeneth my soule. & bringeth me forth in the waye of reightuousnes for his names sake.
    Though I shuld walke now in the valley of the shadowe of death, yet I feare no euell,
    For thou art with me;
    Thy rod & thy shepehoke comforte me . . .

GENEVA BIBLE, AD 1560
    The Lord is my shepherd, I shal not want.
    He maketh me to rest in grene pasture & leadeth me in the paths of righteousness for his Names sake.
    Yea, thogh I shulde walke through the valley of the shadow of death, I will fear no euil:
    For thou art with me:
    Thy rod and they staffe, they comfort me . . .

BISHOP’S BIBLE, AD 1568
    God is my sheephearde, therfore I can lacke nothyng.
    He wyll cause me to repose my selfe in pasture full of grass and He wyll leade me unto calme waters.
    He wyll conuert my soule;
    He will bring my foorth into pathes of righteousnesse for his name sake.
    Yea though I walke through the valley of the shadowe of death, I wyll feare no euyll;
    For thou art with me,
    Thy rodde and thy staff be the thynges that do comfort me . . .

AUTHORIZED VERSION, AD 1611
    The Lord is my Shepheard, I shall not want.
    He maketh me to lie downe in greene pastures:
    He leadeth mee beside the still waters.
    He restoreth my soule: he leadeth me in the paths of righteousness for his names sake.
    Yea though I walke through the valley of the shadowe of death, I will feare no euill:
    For thou art with me,
    Thy rod and thy staffe, they comfort me . . .

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
    Notice how much of the Geneva was plagiarized in the AV? Guess they really meant that they were just making previous translations better.

Change a few words and call it "authorized" . .