1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Plan Of Salvation

Discussion in '2005 Archive' started by Preacher Boy88, Apr 7, 2005.

1. Preacher Boy88

Preacher Boy88 New Member

I recently read a few comments about the plan of salvation taught at First Baptist Church of Hammond. What's wrong with it? Tell me!

2. I Am Blessed 24

I Am Blessed 24 Active Member

Nothing. They use the "Roman's Road" plan of salvation. The same one I use (most of the time).

3. Preacher Boy88

Thank You! I couldn't

4. Preacher Boy88

Thank You! I couldn't agree with you more! You hit it right on the money!

5. North Carolina Tentmaker

There is nothing wrong with the plan of salvation. The problem is in the way it is taught. I have seen:
    There is nothing wrong with the plan of salvation, the word of God, the Romans road, or leading people to Christ. There is nothing wrong with going out into the highways of life and inviting sinners to come to God. But if you have not seen any of the problems I listed above then you visited a different FBC of Hammond than I did. That is not to say everyone there is guilty of all counts, and of course these problems are not limited to First Baptist but can be found in churches everywhere. They seem especially rampant in Independent Baptist Churches (of which I am once again a member)

6. Dr. Bob

Dr. Bob Administrator
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Agree Tentmaker - the application of it leads to the 1-2-3-pray-after-me ditty that is no more "salvation" than it is learning a new McDonald's rhyme.

I had real issues with Hyles position on repentance. I firmly believe that repentance is missing from most of the "easy believism" of Hyles or Graham or Warren's Gospel.

Hyles taught that a person repents when he turns from unbelieving to believing. Period. No sorrow for sin, no guilt, no "deserving" hell, no seeing the abject poverty of man's condition. Just an automatic "repent" because they say "I believe".

Hogwash. In one of His final teachings (Luke 24) Jesus reminded His disciples that they must teach repentance. And if that is missing from the "Gospel", the "Gospel" is suspect.

Gotta get a person "lost" (Law) before you can get him "saved" (Gospel).

Just my thoughts.

7. Scott J

Scott J Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I related some personal experiences with Hyles influenced churches in another thread. They exemplified in real life most of the things said by Dr Bob and Tentmaker.

On one occasion, 3 teenage boys were "soul winning" in Walmart. The object of their zeal was a man who was very obviously drunk. They were focused on getting him to pray the sinner's prayer- not on genuine repentance and faith in Jesus for salvation.

8. massdak

massdak Active Member
    Site Supporter

i was reluctant to chime in on this thread but i need to agree with some of the posters on this that salvation is not an event like responding to an altar call or following any man made up guide lines , but rather saving faith in Christ, it is God who opens a persons eyes of understanding to the gospel. only God can lead a man to true repentance.

9. Preacher Boy88

Salvation is one of the easiest things to do. Salvation whether it be at Hyles or my home church Rosedale Baptist, is easy to believe.