1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

PLANES CRASH INTO WTC in NYC

Discussion in '2000-02 Archive' started by bb_baptist, Sep 11, 2001.

1. John Wells

John Wells New Member

The lessons by Jesus, Paul, et al regarding “turning the other cheek,” are applicable on an interpersonal level. Regarding a national level, we need to look at, for example, what God commanded Joshua to do, including wipe out entire races of peoples. Israel is and always will be God's chosen. The Jews in Israel today are not garbage to God as has been suggested. They are in a current state of rejection, but God said, "I will strengthen the house of Judah and save the house of Joseph. I will restore them because I have compassion on them. They will be as though I had not rejected them, for I am the LORD their God and I will answer them. (Zec 10:6 NIV)

God said, "I will restore my people Israel." I believe that in this "church age" the United States is "God's chosen Gentile people." Also, we were attacked because of our alliance and support of Israel. To most of the Arab world, because we side with Israel, we are "the enemy." Look at the vengeance that God ordered the Israelites to exact out on "enemies of Israel" in the book of Joshua: Edom, Moab, the Canaanites, the Hittites, the Hivites, the Perizzites, the Girgashites, the Amorites, and the Jebusites.
    I thank God that we have a president who starts his morning everyday with prayer, and I pray that God will speak to his heart His will in this matter as God did Joshua, King David, and others. Unfortunately, I can’t see the hearts of Islamic terrorists being softened by a response of forgiveness. Terrorists are totally wicked people, and God instructed Joshua to annihilate the totally wicked people listed above.

"When your people go to war against their enemies, wherever you send them, and when they pray to the LORD toward the city you have chosen and the temple I have built for your Name, then hear from heaven their prayer and their plea, and uphold their cause. (1 Ki 8:44-45 NIV)

2. Joy

Joy New Member

Can anyone, with confirmed accuracy, tell me exactly how many buildings have actually collapsed? I have heard different reports.

3. Cyndib

Cyndib New Member

Joy,

I live in Massachusetts and I will tell you what I heard on the news...so take it as that.

Of course, we know that the twin towers in NY have fallen and building #7 which is close by has fallen. Now building #5 is in severe jeopardy of falling also. They put some supports up hopefully to help but they really don't think it will keep it up.

Also, like we all know the Pentagon is broken in one part and I just heard that the part they hit was the part over Arlington National cemetary and this is troubling to many.

These targets were very well planned. I don't know what you heard but I also heard that the men on the plane that went down in PA were going to try to overcome the hijackers and many think it was on the way to the capital building in Washington.

I hope this has helped a little if you have a specific question I can watch specifically to see if I can find the answer.

God Bless...

Cyndi

4. Kathy

Kathy New Member

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by John Wells:
    The lessons by Jesus, Paul, et al regarding “turning the other cheek,” are applicable on an interpersonal level. Regarding a national level, we need to look at, for example, what God commanded Joshua to do, including wipe out entire races of peoples. Israel is and always will be God's chosen. The Jews in Israel today are not garbage to God as has been suggested. They are in a current state of rejection, but God said, "I will strengthen the house of Judah and save the house of Joseph. I will restore them because I have compassion on them. They will be as though I had not rejected them, for I am the LORD their God and I will answer them. (Zec 10:6 NIV)

God said, "I will restore my people Israel." I believe that in this "church age" the United States is "God's chosen Gentile people." Also, we were attacked because of our alliance and support of Israel. To most of the Arab world, because we side with Israel, we are "the enemy." Look at the vengeance that God ordered the Israelites to exact out on "enemies of Israel" in the book of Joshua: Edom, Moab, the Canaanites, the Hittites, the Hivites, the Perizzites, the Girgashites, the Amorites, and the Jebusites.
    I thank God that we have a president who starts his morning everyday with prayer, and I pray that God will speak to his heart His will in this matter as God did Joshua, King David, and others. Unfortunately, I can’t see the hearts of Islamic terrorists being softened by a response of forgiveness. Terrorists are totally wicked people, and God instructed Joshua to annihilate the totally wicked people listed above.

"When your people go to war against their enemies, wherever you send them, and when they pray to the LORD toward the city you have chosen and the temple I have built for your Name, then hear from heaven their prayer and their plea, and uphold their cause. (1 Ki 8:44-45 NIV)
    <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

AMEN! I ditto that! Thank you Brother Wells!

Kathy
    &lt;&gt;&lt;

5. superdave

superdave New Member

My first time back since the tragedy, I am glad to see the Webmaster and Brother Halo on the board. I hope you were all able to remain safe and your family and friends in the city. Our prayers are with you all.

Psalm 59 has great application to this present situation in our country. It is encouraging, and at the same time, answer's some of the questions regarding the appropriateness of retaliation!

Psalm 59
    "Deliver me from my enemies, O God; protect me from those who rise up against me.
    Deliver me from evildoers and save me from bloodthirsty men.
    See how they lie in wait for me! Fierce men conspire against me for no offense or sin of mine, O LORD.
    I have done no wrong, yet they are ready to attack me. Arise to help me; look on my plight!
    O LORD God Almighty, the God of Israel, rouse yourself to punish all the nations; show no mercy to wicked traitors. Selah
    They return at evening, snarling like dogs, and prowl about the city.
    See what they spew from their mouths-- they spew out swords from their lips, and they say, "Who can hear us?"
    But you, O LORD, laugh at them; you scoff at all those nations.
    O my Strength, I watch for you; you, O God, are my fortress,
    my loving God. God will go before me and will let me gloat over those who slander me.
    But do not kill them, O Lord our shield,[2] or my people will forget. In your might make them wander about, and bring them down.
    For the sins of their mouths, for the words of their lips, let them be caught in their pride. For the curses and lies they utter,
    consume them in wrath, consume them till they are no more. Then it will be known to the ends of the earth that God rules over Jacob. Selah
    They return at evening, snarling like dogs, and prowl about the city.
    They wander about for food and howl if not satisfied.
    But I will sing of your strength, in the morning I will sing of your love; for you are my fortress, my refuge in times of trouble.
    O my Strength, I sing praise to you; you, O God, are my fortress, my loving God. "

God will use this tragedy in ways we cannot even imagine, and I am praying and trusting that his divine purpose will be at least in a small way visible to those touched by the horror of these events.

6. Barnabas H.

Barnabas H. <b>Oldtimer</b>

Faith:
    Baptist
    They just dug out 5 firefighters from the WTC rubble. They were cooped up in their SUV. After two days being in their crammed quarters one was in good enough condition to walk away after gulping down some good NYC water, but the other 4 had to be helped. [​IMG]

The above story was recanted at the 5-o'clock news. The picture what reporters earlier believed was happening turned out to be misinterpretation of events. There were 5 rescue workers who slipped into a hole and as they were being pulled out it was believed that they were originally burried when the building went down. I don't know where did the SUV get into the story. :confused:

[ September 13, 2001: Message edited by: B. J. Halo ]

7. Nicole

Nicole New Member

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by superdave:
    My first time back since the tragedy, I am glad to see the Webmaster and Brother Halo on the board. I hope you were all able to remain safe and your family and friends in the city. Our prayers are with you all.
    God will use this tragedy in ways we cannot even imagine, and I am praying and trusting that his divine purpose will be at least in a small way visible to those touched by the horror of these events.
    <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

AMEN! We all know that His way is perfect. so even things such as this that our earthly minds could never begin to understand...we can all rest in the knowledge that no matter what, His will will be done! And just like many on this board have said, we need to continue to keep our president in the top of our prayers. Pray that God makes it clear to him what he is to do and when he is to do it. As for those who think he's being remiss in not "pushing the button" I respect his position on this! I don't think God would direct him to act hastily, without knowledge. He has a huge responsibility on him during this time, I can't even begin to imagine! Yes, as president, they know what they are getting into but that doesn't make the decisions any easier. My prayers also go out to our military and their familys. I'll pray for your peace and comfort. My husband was a pilot in the navy during desert storm and I remember how I felt back then...take advantage of God's comfort during these times.

8. bb_baptist

bb_baptist New Member

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Joy2:
    Can anyone, with confirmed accuracy, tell me exactly how many buildings have actually collapsed? I have heard different reports.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Buildings Collapsed or Partially Collapsed
    1. 1 World Trade Center
    2. 2 World Trade Center
    3. Marriott Hotel
    4. 4 World Trade Center
    5. 5 World Trade Center
    6. 6 World Trade Center
    7. 7 World Trade Center
    8. North Bridge

9. bb_baptist

bb_baptist New Member

Buildings with Major Damage
    9. 1 Liberty Plaza
    10. East River Savings Bank
    11. N.J. Kalikow and Co. Bldg.
    and Millennium Hotel
    12. Federal Bldg.
    13. N.Y. Telephone Bldg.
    14. Three World Financial Center
    15. Two World Financial Center
    16. South Bridge
    17. 1 World Financial Center
    18. St. Nicholas Greek Orthodox
    Church
    19. 90 West Street
    20. Bankers Trust

10. bb_baptist

bb_baptist New Member

Tim LaHaye's comments:

"This ruthless act does not have any specific significance in Bible prophecy other than to point out that in the days before Christ returns the Bible warns of perilous times (2 Tim. 3:1). Hopefully this will cause millions of individuals to receive Christ and make their peace with God while there is still time."

11. bb_baptist

bb_baptist New Member

Rev. Jerry Falwell's comments:

"Obviously, war has been launched against the United States. While we don't know who is responsible, we can be assured that our government is working to find out who is responsible. Right now, our government and our president need our prayers."

"My prayer is that the people of this nation will turn their eyes and hearts to the Lord and seek His wisdom and protection. May all Americans pray for our president and government leaders that God would guide and direct them as they lead our nation during these dark hours."

"If my people, which are called by my name, shall humble themselves, and pray, and seek my face, and turn from their wicked ways; then will I hear from heaven, and will forgive their sin, and will heal their land."

12. bb_baptist

bb_baptist New Member

John Hagee's comments:

"We pray for our president, that God would give him the wisdom of Solomon in this time of crisis – that he would give him the strength to search relentlessly for those who have bathed our streets in blood and when they are found to give a vigorous military response the world will never forget."

To the terrorists, Hagee had stern words: "You have destroyed the twin towers in New York City, but you have not destroyed the American Spirit. Attack one of us and you'll have to fight all of us. We will not live on our knees to terrorism."

13. bb_baptist

bb_baptist New Member

Gen. Jack Singlaub, the former U.S. supreme commander of all U.S. forces in Korea, told NewsMax that additional, more significant attacks against the U.S. could take place in the next several weeks.
    He warned that an escalation of terror – which might follow such an elaborate scheme as we have already seen unfold – might include the use of chemical or biological weapons of mass destruction.

General Singlaub said that he shared the views of NewsMax national security consultant, Col. Stanislav Lunev, who has also issued a similar warning.

"This is my view,” he said, "There is a possibility of a biological or chemical attack.”

The view that additional attacks are likely is shared by the U.S. government.

Fox News reported last evening that "lawmakers were told in classified briefings that additional attacks are 'possible if not probable' and they should not assume a false sense of security. This message has been conveyed with a very deliberate and serious level of magnitude."

14. bb_baptist

bb_baptist New Member

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by webmaster:
    Buildings with Major Damage

1 Liberty Plaza
    <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

NEW YORK (AP) - The top floors of an evacuated, 53-story skys****er were buckling Thursday afternoon, hindering efforts to rescue people missing from the World Trade Center attack.

One Liberty Plaza, which was built in 1973, is a block from complex where the twin towers had stood until they were demolished in Tuesday's suicide hijackings.

The top 10 floors of One Liberty Plaza began buckling Thursday afternoon, forcing the evacuation of some rescue workers.

15. bb_baptist

bb_baptist New Member

The hijacked plane that crashed into the Pentagon two days ago had circled the U.S. Capitol first and flown down the Washington Mall and over the White House, a U.S. congressman said on Thursday, quoting police.

16. Barnabas H.

Barnabas H. <b>Oldtimer</b>

Faith:
    Baptist
    Contrast to the jubilant Palestinians, who were celebrating when the WTC were demolished:

Palestinian children carry Palestinian flags, a portrait of Palestinian leader Yasser Arafat, and a sign which reads 'We Observe a Minute of Silence in the Memory of Innocent Victims,' during a rally in the West Bank town of Ramallah to offer condolences for victims of U.S. terrorist attacks, Thursday, Sept. 13, 2001. In the West Bank and Gaza, Palestinians observed a moment of silence for the dead and wounded in the United States (from Yahoo.com).

[ September 13, 2001: Message edited by: B. J. Halo ]

17. donnA

donnA Active Member

Someone said I didn't have any Bible verses. Well here they are.

Matthew 5:44
    But I say to you love your enemies, bless those who curse you do good to those who hate you and pray for those who spitefully use you and persecute you

Matt.6:12
    And forgive us our debts,As we forgive our debtors.

Matt.6:14&15
    “For if you forgive men their trespasses, your heavenly Father will also forgive you. But if you do not forgive men their trespasses, neither will your Father forgive your trespasses.

Matt18:21&22
    Then Peter came to Him and said, “Lord, how often shall my brother sin against me, and I forgive him? Up to seven times?”
    2Jesus said to him, “I do not say to you, up to seven times, but up to seventy times seven.

Mk.11:25&26
    “And whenever you stand praying, if you have anything against anyone, forgive him, that your Father in heaven may also forgive you your trespasses. 26£But if you do not forgive, neither will your Father in heaven forgive your trespasses.”

Ro.12:17-21
    Repay no one evil for evil. Have regard for good things in the sight of all men. If it is possible, as much as depends on you, live peaceably with all men. Beloved, do not avenge yourselves, but rather give place to wrath; for it is written, “Vengeance is Mine, I will repay,”£ says the Lord. Therefore
    “If your enemy is hungry, feed him;
    If he is thirsty, give him a drink;
    For in so doing you will heap coals of fire on his head.”
    Do not be overcome by evil, but overcome evil with good.

18. John Wells

John Wells New Member

All of these verses deal with interpersonal relationships. See my previous post dealing with nations' conduct.

19. donnA

donnA Active Member

John Wells,
    So you think that being filled with hatred, and the desire for vengence(for the sake of vengence, not legal reprcussions) is biblical/christlike?

I do agree they do owe us legally, and should stand trial. We exacuted McVeigh, we should also exacute who ever did this. And if a country harbors those guily, then the guilt becomes theirs also. But what I am talking about is whats in the christian heart. Biblically what we are to do and think and feel, personally, not nationally. They are two different things.
    Unforgivness does not harm the unforgiven, but the one who refuses to forgive. Of course they do not desreve to be forgiven, IMO(by us as a country), but whats in my heart has nothing to do with what thay deserve.I should only ask myself if my relationship with God desreves to have the wedge of unforgivness seperating me from Him. That and serve satan is all unforgivness can do.

20. bb_baptist

bb_baptist New Member

Capitol Hill evacuated in apparent bomb scare.