1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Play ONE Instrument Well

Discussion in 'Pastoral Ministries' started by Dr. Bob, Mar 14, 2009.

1. Dr. Bob

Dr. Bob Administrator
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Nik Satelmajer wrote about his granddaughter who had just completed her first piano lesson (age 5). She excitedly told him how much she enjoyed it and that she was going to also learn flute, piccolo, clarinet, drums and xylophone. And when she mastered them, she'd study music and be a music teacher and teach kids so sing and play.

Will she ever learn that? Probably not. But he encouraged her to learn to play ONE with great skill and play it to the glory of God.

Do you remember, Pastor, your thoughts on what you were going to do as a minister BEFORE you actually started?

I planned to be the best - better than anyone I knew or had heard or even read about - in preaching, teaching, leading, pastoring, fund-raising, building, program planning, etc.

The reality? Probably not!! Don't know any pastor that excells in all areas.

Wonder if Pastors/Lay workers would share (and be vulnerable) a little of the "instrument" you play well - that is, the part of the Gospel ministry where you excel in ministry to the glory of God . . and, if you'd like, which are the hardest or weakest.

Personal studies (one-on-one)
    Small groups
    Class teaching
    Pulpit speaking
    Visitation
    Program planning
    Scholarship
    Leadership
    Fund raising
    Administration
    Visionary
    Children
    Youth
    College
    Senior Saints
    Marriage/Counseling
    Women
    Men
    Add-your-own

Anyone?

2. Dr. Bob

Dr. Bob Administrator
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    I would say I "enjoy" and seek to excel at two "instruments" - I enjoy pulpit ministry of an expositor (any size, any gender, any age) and coupled with that is the in-depth scholarship.

Weakest areas of ministry? Visitation (I'm just not a sit around and chat-over-coffee type) and counseling (reason I went back to school after 7 years of pastoring was for training in counseling that had been skimmed over in college and grad school. Wasn't just to get an earned doctorate, but to use that added training for ministry).

3. mike

mike New Member

Strongest instruments: Pulpit speaking and leadership. I was mentored for several years during my education and early years of ministry with some very good pastors.

Weakest instrument by far is visitation. Since I am bivocational, I only do it when someone is sick or in crisis etc...which suits me fine.

My predecessor was strong in the one on one and visitation areas but weak in the areas I am strong in. Funny how God does that, isn't it?

Mike

4. chuck2336

chuck2336 Member

I am strongest in preaching, and weakest in teaching.

By teaching I am talking about in sunday school classes etc. I think this is because of my approach to study lends itself to pulpit speaking where as in teaching I have to make myself remember to ask questions and to engage the class more than I would from the pulpit. Folks tell me they enjoy it when I teach, it is just how I feel about it.

5. Bobby

Bobby New Member

weak 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 Strong

Personal studies (one-on-one) 5
    Small groups 8
    Class teaching 6
    Pulpit speaking 8
    Visitation 4
    Program planning 2
    Scholarship 4
    Leadership 8
    Fund raising 3
    Administration 6
    Visionary 4
    Children 7
    Youth (like teens?) 4
    College 5
    Senior Saints 5
    Marriage/Counseling 3
    Women 0
    Men 7

6. 4His_glory

4His_glory New Member

I feel strongest in expository preaching and weakest in children's ministry.