1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Please bless me

Discussion in 'Baptist Theology & Bible Study' started by Salty, Apr 30, 2011.

1. Salty

Salty 20,000 Posts Club
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Have you ever had someone come up and asked you to bless them - such as a Roman Catholic Priest might do?

How would you react to such a question?

Luke instructs us to bless them that curse us (6:28), so we are to bless the wrong doers, how much more should we bless those who do good?

2. Tom Butler

Tom Butler New Member

I think we first of all have to define what it means to bless someone. Is it simply to wish them well? Is it to tell them you will ask God to to something nice for them?

I grew up in the south, where a common expression was "Well, bless yore heart." What exactly were we saying? Sometimes it was a way of saying thanks for something nice that someone had done for you. Sometimes it was a way of expressing sympathy for someone who is grieving or hurting.

I don't think that's what we're talking about. What I need to know is, if I give you a blessing, what have I done for you? Or what do you think I've done for you? In one case, I've given my approval to something you want to do. When I proposed to my present wife, I went to her father to ask him for his blessing. I was asking for his okay.

Is saying "bless you" shorthand for "The Lord bless you"?

And Salty, bless your little pea-pickin' heart for starting this thread.

3. Salty

Salty 20,000 Posts Club
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
  4. Tom Butler

Tom Butler New Member

Thanks, Salty. That ought to get us off to a good start for a discussion.