1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Please check out this site

Discussion in 'Computers & Technology Forum' started by Rev. Sam, Aug 5, 2002.

1. Rev. Sam

Rev. Sam New Member

I have just developed a web site to help churches who don't have money to invest in a big website to get something small started. Please check it out and let me know what you think.

http://lighthouse_web.tripod.com

2. InHim2002

InHim2002 New Member

My opinion (well you did ask!):

1) You really should move to a host where there are not pop up's - they are really annoying

2) You should have your examples open in a new window (ie <a href="www.whatever.com" target="_blank"> ) So that people don't have to use the back button in their browser to get back to your site.

3) Your services page should be more descriptive - what exactly are you offering? dynamic pages? flash? graphics? design? etc

4) You have way too many fields in the contact form - an e-mail, phone number and brief site description should really be enough.

Hope that helps ;)

[ August 05, 2002, 12:10 PM: Message edited by: InHim2002 ]

3. Rev. Sam

Rev. Sam New Member

And where might that be. I don't have alot of money and I am doing most of this work for free. Everyone has a price and they want a chunk of the business. I have people on my back because I am taking away their business.

4. LindaB

LindaB New Member

Hi Rev
    as a professional web & graphic designer, I can say..I dont feel you are taking work away from me in the least, If you are doing it for the Lord, He will lead those to you who want work done.
    I offer free 5 meg sites, no pop ups, and they work just fine for small churches.

I agree 1000000 percent. leave tripod. I wouldnt recommend your work especially since I just had a whos hotter fox or jocks with women in bikins pop up in my face [​IMG]
    you said you offer it free, but Im seeing charges, so Im not sure what the actual is.
    I just closed your site totally because of the pops ups.
    If you want to serve the Lord, get the basics done...clean up the advertising. If you dont, your work will not be blessed. there are plenty of free hosts that have pops ups, banners, but are clean, get away from tripod, stay away from yahoo/geocities. do a search for free christian webhosts, try arkwebs.com and get yourself away from there!

Id give you an eval of the site but I didnt want to hang out there too long.
    Linda
    ChristianGraphicDesign.com

5. Rev. Sam

Rev. Sam New Member

Thanks for the advice. I have made a few of the changes but I still haven't heard back on where I can go with out popups that is able to use Front Page.

6. jcrowe

jcrowe New Member

You should check out phpwebhosting.com . They let you use FrontPage, and they give you tons of more advanced features for when you outgrow ;D FrontPage. You could get on account and give your customers subdomains of that account. For example you could have the domain name domain.com and let your church use http://yourchurch.domain.com/. If you offered them this for free you could offer then their own domain name for extra $$ & just get them their own account. With this system you get a professional image for a low cost.

Another possibility is if you have dsl or some other type of highspeed internet you could host the websites yourself. If you need help with this I could help you, or for a small fee I would do this for you through my own connection.

Jason

7. Rev. Sam

Rev. Sam New Member

Any help is greatly appreciated. Some of the advice has been heeded but I am not a professional. I am still going to school trying to learn the ends and out and I love to get lessons from people here.

8. pinoybaptist

pinoybaptist Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I think Ark Webs support Front Page. You might want to check out home with god, which hosts one of our church's webpage and my own personal page.
    Their free website has banners, but for $36.00/year you can get one with no banners and with your own domain name.
    I can understand your need to charge nominal fees.

9. pinoybaptist

pinoybaptist Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I work with a cable company as tech support for the Internet side.
    Just make sure you sign up for a Pro account or whatever they call the account that allows for networking and stuff.
    Most residential accounts will not allow you to use your connection for server purposes, and 99% of all ISP's, whether dial-up, ISDN, Cable, or DSL regularly probe port 80 and arbitrarily shuts down services of residential accounts that host other web sites.
    But that being said, high speed non-phone modem internet accounts are tops. You're always online.