1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Featured Please explain Baptist and Independent Baptist

Discussion in 'Fundamental Baptist Forum' started by pilgrimspen, Jul 13, 2012.

1. Yeshua1

Yeshua1 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    So you would be referring to things more like when liberalism got into seminaries like Fuller and into some baptists ones in say 1970s?

2. Squire Robertsson

Squire Robertsson Administrator
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    The 70s, good night that's ten to twenty years after the period of time I am referencing. Same war different battles. The problem is\was folks got mixed up and tended to re-fight the last battle. (The classic examples are the ACW where rifles trumped Napoleonic tactics and WW1`were the lack of tactical radios forced the armies to use linear tactics.)

3. Squire Robertsson

Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Franco-Prussian War

In WW1 the French sought to win the last war, the Franco-Prussian. After all there had only been forty three years between 1871 and 1914. To us today, such a position seems farcical. However IMNSHO, the same conditions applied the 70s and to a lesser degree in the 80s to Fundamentalism.

The problem was instead of forty+ years, it was less than ten (the issue Billy Graham's ecumenical crusades) before next round of battles stared up again. The problem was many Fundamentalists used the same harsh rhetoric to denounce those they opposed as they used in the battle for the Northern Baptist Convention.

4. Squire Robertsson

Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Answers

Did my last 2 posts shed any light on the topic?

5. NDCompuGeek

NDCompuGeek New Member

Independent

As someone "born, bred, and raised" in Independent Baptist Churches of the north (Michigan), I understand the difference to be:

+ Independent = not answering to any governing group or association, although an association of churches may be formed, but the association answers to the churches, not the churches answering to the association

+ Independent = having the freedom to run the church (doctrinally) the way the Pastor / Deacons / Members see fit, answering only to the Bible, not to the policy of an agency

+ Independent = most importantly (to some), the tithes stay within the church proper and the finances of the church are not reportable to a higher authority

In a nutshell, that is what I understand the major difference(s) to be between Baptist and Independent Baptist.

Oh yeah, one more thing:

+ Independent = missions come out of the church and answer to a local church, no matter how large the mission; missionaries / evangelists are accountable to their local church (and its pastor), not to an agency

The way that I understood it growing up, other doctrine never entered into the title of "Independent" except for these issues. IIRC, there was even a local Independent Baptist church held in high esteem that was associating itself with a convention (don't remember which one), but never joined, although doctrinally - except for the independent part - they were quite compatible.

6. Squire Robertsson

Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    In the case of the Fundamental Baptist Fellowship International, it is a fellowship of like minded individuals not of churches.

7. Mexdeaf

Mexdeaf New Member

Let me make a little correction here:

Southern Baptists = not answering to any governing group or association, although an association of churches may be formed, but the association answers to the churches, not the churches answering to the association.

Southern Baptists = having the freedom to run the church (doctrinally) the way the Pastor / Deacons / Members see fit, answering only to the Bible, not to the policy of an agency.

Southern Baptists = most importantly (to some), the tithes stay within the church proper and the finances of the church are not reportable to a higher authority.

In reality, here is where most of the difference lies:

Independent = missions come out of the church and answer to a local church, no matter how large the mission; missionaries / evangelists are accountable to their local church (and its pastor), not to an agency. [However, this is NOT true in all "IFB" churches.]

Southern Baptists = missions funds are spent as the church desires. Missionaries come out of local SBC churches. Churches may support SBC missions as much or as little as they wish, and may also support independent missions/missionaries if they so desire. Missionaries / evangelists receiving financial support from the HMB/IMB are accountable to the HMB/IMB as their employer.

8. John of Japan

John of Japan Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Actually, as an independent Baptist missionary I am accountable to my sending agency as well as my sending church. The agency will inform my sending church in egregious cases (moral or doctrinal failure), but in many smaller matters my sending agency acts for my sending church to keep me accountable. For example, it would be an unnecessary burden on my local church to keep me accountable in all of the minor financial matters that a missionary must deal with, such as reporting ministry expenses to the IRS.