1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

POD

Discussion in '2003 Archive' started by Preacher Nathan Knight, Apr 3, 2003.

1. Preacher Nathan Knight

How much more evidence do people need to realize that POD is not Christian? They are no different than the people they keep in their company. I have already named Howard Stern and Marilyn Manson. They also "hang out" with Ozzy Osbourne!

All I have left to say on this matter is what Amos 3:3 says. : Can two walk together, except they be agreed?"

2. Dualhunter

Dualhunter New Member

Careful with that logic. Jesus liked to "hang out" with prostitues and other sinners.

3. Travelsong

Travelsong Guest

Here you go preacher, while you were busy here pointing your finger and working up a self righteous frenzy I went out and did a little research.

Huh, I sure wish my life was as much of a testimony as these guys, don't you my little message board warrior?

4. Su Wei

Su Wei Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I question very much "hanging out with the world in order to win the world" idea.

True, Jesus ate with sinners, and Paul said by all means win some. We cannot be so heavenly and be of no earthly use.
    However, let us be completely honest in the dealing of GOd's Word! Did Jesus act and behave like a sinner in order to win the sinner? This method of evangelism of doing exactly what sinners do in order to win them (like what POD is doing) i hold highly suspect.

The Bible is very clear on the Christian's relationship with the world. We are enemies with the world because the world cannot accept the gospel unless they repent of their sin. The gospel is an offense to the World. If our message sits too comfortablily with the world, something's wrong! That is going against what the scripture told us to expect (which is tribulation).

Christians are to be different:

John 14:17 Even the Spirit of truth; whom the world cannot receive, because it seeth him not, neither knoweth him: but ye know him; for he dwelleth with you, and shall be in you.

1 Peter 2:9 But ye are a chosen generation, a royal priesthood, an holy nation, a peculiar people; that ye should shew forth the praises of him who hath called you out of darkness into his marvellous light:

the world hates the christians' message:
    John 15:18-20 If the world hate you, ye know that it hated me before it hated you. If ye were of the world, the world would love his own: but because ye are not of the world, but I have chosen you out of the world, therefore the world hateth you. Remember the word that I said unto you, The servant is not greater than his lord. If they have persecuted me, they will also persecute you; if they have kept my saying, they will keep yours also.

John 16:33 These things I have spoken unto you, that in me ye might have peace. In the world ye shall have tribulation: but be of good cheer; I have overcome the world.

Reason the World hates Christ and Christians is that His Light and Holiness exposes their sins:

John 3:19-21 And this is the condemnation, that light is come into the world, and men loved darkness rather than light, because their deeds were evil. For every one that doeth evil hateth the light, neither cometh to the light, lest his deeds should be reproved. But he that doeth truth cometh to the light, that his deeds may be made manifest, that they are wrought in God.

John 7:7 The world cannot hate you; but me it hateth, because I testify of it, that the works thereof are evil.

John 15:22 If I had not come and spoken unto them, they had not had sin: but now they have no cloke for their sin.

John 15:24 If I had not done among them the works which none other man did, they had not had sin: but now have they both seen and hated both me and my Father.

Jesus is not of the World:
    John 8:23-24 And he said unto them, Ye are from beneath; I am from above: ye are of this world; I am not of this world. I said therefore unto you, that ye shall die in your sins: for if ye believe not that I am he, ye shall die in your sins.

John 17:14 I have given them thy word; and the world hath hated them, because they are not of the world, even as I am not of the world.

John 17:16 They are not of the world, even as I am not of the world.

Jesus' Testimony to the World: sin exposing truth
    John 18:37 Pilate therefore said unto him, Art thou a king then? Jesus answered, Thou sayest that I am a king. To this end was I born, and for this cause came I into the world, that I should bear witness unto the truth. Every one that is of the truth heareth my voice.

-------------------

It is a narrow and uncompromising way. Accept His truth and repent or else, it is eternal punishment.

How offensive is our message? Are we too comfortable with unsaved people? Are unsaved people uncomfortable with us and our holiness?

Apparently,POD are drawing many unsaved people to know God. I ask the people out there to compare this apparent "success" with what the scripture says.

[​IMG] Suwei

5. Dualhunter

Dualhunter New Member

The thing is, all I see is people accuse POD of doing that but never giving examples.

6. Su Wei

Su Wei Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    The thing is, all I see is people accuse POD of doing that but never giving examples. </font>[/QUOTE]do you get the gist of the rest of my post? :confused: If you did, you really don't need "examples" like they said this, they did that. Check out the whole philosophy of the actions.

7. Aaron

Aaron Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Travel, according to the Scriptures, what is God's chosen method for evangelism?

8. JonathanDT

JonathanDT New Member

So your saying that POD acts and behaves like these sinners? Would you please provide specific examples. They use drugs, they have sex outside of marriage, ect. What sin exactly are you charging them with when you claim they live like the world?

No, I'm afraid I don't. Please explain it to me, I'm just not getting it.

Aaron, I know the answer you're looking for(Preaching), but does the Bible really explicitly say that? Remember Philip and the Etheopian? Philip certainly didn't preach.

9. Su Wei

Su Wei Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    :eek:

Acts 8:30-34 And Philip ran thither to him, and heard him read the prophet Esaias, and said, Understandest thou what thou readest? And he said, How can I, except some man should guide me? And he desired Philip that he would come up and sit with him. The place of the scripture which he read was this, He was led as a sheep to the slaughter; and like a lamb dumb before his shearer, so opened he not his mouth: In his humiliation his judgment was taken away: and who shall declare his generation? for his life is taken from the earth. And the eunuch answered Philip, and said, I pray thee, of whom speaketh the prophet this? of himself, or of some other man?

Acts 8:35 Then Philip opened his mouth, and began at the same scripture, and preached unto him Jesus.

10. JonathanDT

JonathanDT New Member

Thanks Su, but you avoided my questions.

Different versions. Mine says:
    35 Then Philip began with that very passage of Scripture and told him the good news about Jesus.

My point is, POD doesn't have to get up on stage and start lecturing (This is the way we normally use the word preach) about God. In fact, according to his interview and that KJV passage, Sonny DOES preach the word.
    Wow, now what do you guys have to say???

11. Aaron

Aaron Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    The word preach does not include the ideas of exhibitionism; e.g. drama, music, competitions, etc. A Strong's concordance is all one needs to see that.

If you say one can preach through other means, then you go beyond the teaching of Scripture.

12. Travelsong

Travelsong Guest

Aaron, another perfect example of how you pay no attention to what the opposition has to say. Look at the answer to the second question from that interview I posted. When the drummer is asked how he shares his faith does he say through music?

I don't know P.O.D., I have no intimate knowledge of their doctrinal beliefs. I have no idea how they live their lives. From a quick glance at their lyrics I can tell they express mostly ambiguous Christian sentiments, but anything further than that I am not qualified to judge them on. I wonder how it is that those of you who know even less than I do about them feel so qualified to judge them as worldly and yet give no examples of how they are worldly. Are you perplexed that you can't convert anyone to your side? You really shouldn't be.

As far as the use of music as a ministry in reaching the lost I have to agree totally that it must be accompanied by preaching the Gospel. I think the greatest example of an artist who used his music and the message of the Gospel to reach and convert thousands would have to be Keith Green. Keith was scorned by you dime a dozen holier than though finger pointers throughout his ministry and yet God still used him. I wonder just how you think Keith was worldly.

Wake up already.

13. Preacher Nathan Knight

Everyone here who supports POD has failed to respond directly to the scripture. Amos 3:3 "Can two walk together, except they be agreed." That one verse should put this argument to rest, therefore I will say no more on this subject unless the Lord direcs me to do so.

14. Travelsong

Travelsong Guest

Funny how you insist on using that verse without even attempting to show how P.O.D. walks with Marylin Manson, Ozzy Osbourne, etc. etc.

You go ahead and keep that nose in the air buddy, I'm sure that's what the Lord is directing you to do.

15. Preacher Nathan Knight

My nose is definately not stuck in the air, and these personal attacks are of no good to anyone.

As far as walking with those I have mentioned previously, POD was on the OzzFest tour, they perform with Marilyn Manson, Korn, Kid Rock(they thanked him on one of their albums), and have said that Jimi Hendrix was the motivation behind at least 3 of their songs.They also performed Purple Haze in one of their concerts. Purple Haze is song about a bad LSD trip that Jimi Hendrix had. What purpose would that song ever serve in the Christian life or testimony? The evidence is stacked high and is irrefutable.

16. Travelsong

Travelsong Guest

Then quit personally attacking people you don't know.

As they have said their goal is to reach the world. In order to do so, they must be in the world. Are you aware in any way of how they behave and live their lives? Huh? Huh?

What's wrong with having Jimi Hendrix as one of your musical influences? He had a great style.

And?

None as far as I can tell.

Then why aren't you giving any?

17. Smaug067

Smaug067 New Member

Way I see it, even taking the same stage as their 'counterparts' is walking with them. And why has noone brought up the point that they blaspheme my Lord and Saviour by portraying him with dreadlocks? Makes me wanna spue!

Smaug :mad:

18. Preacher Nathan Knight

19. Mike McK

Mike McK New Member

Why is that more blasphemous than portraying Him as a fair skinned, rosey cheeked Aryan?

You guys don't seem to have a problem with that.

Let me get this straight: If He looks like Peter Frampton, that's OK, but if He looks like Bob Marley, that's bad?

Aside from the racist undertones, that's patently hypocritical on your part.

20. Mike McK

Mike McK New Member

Because that implies that POD is involved in some illicit behavior with the other artists they play with and you haven't demonstrated that.

Thank God.