1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Political Correctness to the Extreme

Discussion in '2003 Archive' started by AF Guy N Paradise, Sep 19, 2003.

1. AF Guy N Paradise

AF Guy N Paradise Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Aloha, I am half way through my Master's program and unfortunately Im taking a Diversity Mgmt class right now. Does anyone have any links or stories of when PC went to the extreme and got out of hand?

One story that pops in my mind is when Kodak had National Gay Day or something like that and an older employee was fired for stating his opinion on what he thought about it via an email that went out to everybody. This story was posted somewhere on here around a year ago or so but I can't find it. Thanks for any help anyone can provide.

2. Johnv

Johnv New Member

The Kodak incident you're referring to was a man who received a general e-mail touting “National Coming Out Day.” The memo, forwarded by a supervisor, suggested ways to make “gay, lesbian, bisexual and transgendered” workers feel more comfortable discussing their sexual orientations. One employee typed out a terse reply: “Please do not send this type of information to me anymore as I find it disgusting and offensive.” He hit the send button, dispersing his response to about 1,000 employees who had received the original memo. The employee was later fired, and he sued, citing that his free speech rights had been violated.

Interestigly, many gay-rights advocates are divided on Kodak’s handling of the matter. William Dobbs, a gay civil-libertarian who is part of an ad hoc group called Queer Watch, says that while he might not approve of the employee's sentiments, he believes the punishment he received was excessive, inappropriate, and infringing.

3. dianetavegia

dianetavegia Guest

4. AF Guy N Paradise

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Thanks Diane. I will have to wait until I get to my home computer as the Internet filter at work says it is a hate-speech site and it is forbidden to enter.

Aloha!

5. dianetavegia

dianetavegia Guest

Thursday, October 24, 2002

Kodak fires man over 'gay' stance
    23-year veteran of global film giant
    objected to pro-homosexual memo

By Joe Kovacs

© 2002 WorldNetDaily.com

A 23-year veteran of The Eastman Kodak Co. has been fired after objecting to a pro-homosexual memo this month and is now looking to take legal action against the film giant.

Rolf Szabo, who worked as a millwright at Kodak's world headquarters in Rochester, N.Y., was terminated for refusing to recant remarks officials say did not adhere to the company's "Winning & Inclusive Culture" designed to promote diversity among employees.

The events that led to the action began when Szabo was forwarded an e-mail from his supervisor regarding the Human Rights Campaign's annual "Coming Out Day." The memo reads:

Today, Oct. 11, is the Human Rights Campaign's 15th annual National Coming Out Day for people who are gay, lesbian, bisexual and transgendered. If one of your employees elects to "come out" at work, there are several things you can do to help that person feel comfortable in sharing his/her orientation in the workplace:

-- Be supportive of the individual who wishes to share this information.

-- Acknowledge his/her courage to publicly share this personal information.

-- Respect the individual's privacy. Understand how broadly he/she wishes the information to be shared.

-- Acknowledge your level of awareness of this topic, and share your personal willingness to understand.

What can supervisors do in the work environment to support their gay, lesbian, bisexual and transgendered employees who wish to be "out" to their supervisor or co-workers?

-- Be sensitive to the employee's language in defining their personal orientation.

-- Support the employee in displaying appropriate personal photos in the work setting.

-- Recognize and respect that not all (gay, lesbian, bisexual or transgendered) employees find it OK to be out at work. They should not be questioned or harassed about their sexual orientation.

-- Act quickly and responsibly if any anti-gay humor or negative comments are made in the workplace.

A footnote referencing the last two suggestions reads:

Keep in mind that such behaviors violate Kodak's Values as well as Kodak's Equal Opportunity Employment Policy, which all supervisors are responsible for maintaining in their areas. Specific examples are cited in your "Call to Action" training materials. Reported violations of this policy are to be thoroughly investigated. If verified, disciplinary action is to be taken.

The response by Szabo was brief, but it was dispatched to all recipients of the original e-mail, some 1,000 Kodak employees:

Please do not send this type of information to me anymore, as I find it disgusting and offensive.

Thank you,

Rolf Szabo

Shortly after that comment, Szabo says another memo from manager Randy Bakel was sent to all of the workers, apologizing for Szabo's remarks:

As you all know, our strategic thrust to build a Winning & Inclusive Culture drives us to behave in ways that value everyone regardless of differences. While I understand that we are all free to have our own personal beliefs, when we come to the Kodak workplace, our behaviors must align with the Kodak Values. I apologize for the e-mail sent to all of you from Rolf Szabo this morning. Rolf's comments are hurtful to our employees, friends and family members who are gay, lesbian, bisexual or transgendered. This behavior is not aligned with the Kodak Values and, therefore, is not acceptable.

Szabo tells WorldNetDaily he was asked to sign an ECP – an employee commitment plan – saying he was sorry for what he had written and outlining steps to make sure a similar incident would not recur. When he asked what the alternative to signing it was, he was informed "termination."

"I would not submit and cave in to their trying to browbeat me into a confession," said Szabo, who is looking for legal advice before telling more details of his story.

Kodak, meanwhile, confirms the veracity of the e-mail memos, as well as subsequent action it took.

"The whole thing is true," said Jim Blamphin, Kodak's manager of corporate media relations. "This chap was asked to take part in a program that fosters inclusion, and he refused." But Blamphin also said there were additional reasons for the termination, which he would not specify.

"Every possible definition of diversity is embraced by Kodak," Blamphin said. "This is a company that does not take these matters lightly. Considerable thought is behind decisions that are made and policies that are established."

Indeed, the company makes no secret of its commitment to diversity. Its website provides a large amount of material expounding upon its mindset:

"All of us at Kodak work from a set of core values," says its mission statement, "and we're proud to say that our resulting personal conduct allows for an environment that is free from inappropriate pressures and diversions. We show respect for the dignity of the individual. And in the process, we value and champion our human differences. This helps us maintain the diversity of our workforce."

Kodak also touts a list of accolades received in recent years, with a consistent theme of equal opportunity and inclusion. Some of the honors refer to the sexual orientation of employees:

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    It is a Christian site! LOL

6. AF Guy N Paradise

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I know. I am amazed at how powerful the gay movement is and how they are bullying and using scaring tactics to force people to accept their lifestyle. Even at my military workstation, the Christian website you sent me comes up on the filter as a "hate site" and won't let me proceed to the story. How sad and how scary this world is becoming.

MY PC research for my paper is just flat out scary with the gay agenda I am receiving along with other PC that in most cases are 100% against what God says.

[ September 20, 2003, 03:28 PM: Message edited by: AF Guy N Paradise ]

7. AF Guy N Paradise

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Bump.

Come on guys, I need to finish my research paper this weekend on excessive "PC". I was sure some good Christians would have some good links or stories where PC got out of hand and Christians sufferred for it.

Aloha!