1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

political or religious?

Discussion in 'Baptist Theology & Bible Study' started by agedman, Jun 25, 2019.

1. agedman

agedman Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I've spent a few minutes the last couple days looking down at the political area of the forums.

The question came to me while reading and even commenting a few times to some threads - non specific but general threads - how do you take the Scriptures teaching that the heart of the king is in the hand of the Lord and He will turn it whatever way He chooses, that believers are to pray for those who rule over them, yet praise or detract from certain world leaders?

For example, if the leader of country X is threatening country Z are believers obligated to pray for both, trust the Lord despite the rhetoric, brood and fret over decisions being made, discuss survivor tools with the family, arm and train, write protest letters, contact your representatives, find a new country and migrate, or drink the cool-aide and hope the comet picks you up?

I really am not poking fun at anyone or at any specific news link, but attempting to get a general idea of how the BB folks consider the level of anxiety, and how that level is raised or lowered as prayers are offered for all mankind.

If the Scripture teaches that we should pray for the leaders, is that actually done by the folks irregardless of agreement with policies and practices?

Or is it just the leaders over believers in country X, and the believers of country Z have to pray for their own?

Practically writing:

Is it Scriptural to pray for a leader to come to repent and believe Christ or to wish them dead?

If the far neighbor is a terrorist, is it Scriptural to pray for the God of all creation to save them or destroy them?

Is it Scriptural to assign eternal judgment upon the enemy, or to pray they turn from their wicked ways?

Just wondering, if I were an enemy of believers would the folks on the BB seek the God of all creation, beseeching and pleading, in most earnest prayers of intercession, for me to be saved, or would I be considered worthy of death by believer's hands?

When is the Scriptures statement, "love your enemy, do good to them that persecute you," worthy of being ignored?

Lot of questions, just waiting for some thoughts from you.

2. Earth Wind and Fire

Earth Wind and Fire Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    As I listen to this( and I know what the words are saying to me) and I look at those playing the music, I wonder... is God in Jesus here as well???

3. MartyF

MartyF Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Well first, you've got some countries which are actively hostile toward Christianity.

These include China, Iran, North Korea, and others. I'll pray for their leaders' conversions, but I won't hold my breath.

There are some like Greg Boyd, who believe Christians should never cause a death even to save another life. I don't believe this to be true and I don't think that death can always be avoided.

Yes, agedman, if you walked into a school and started shooting children and I was there with a gun, I wouldn't stop to pray for you. I would shoot you as many times as I possibly could. I wouldn't be assigning "eternal judgement" by doing so.

Now, I don't believe in invading and occupying the wrong country. But I do believe in taking care of a country which is figuratively like a school shooter or worse.

I like to put it this way. If someone slaps you on the cheek, offer him or her your other cheek to slap. Why? Because in the grand scheme of things, it's not that big of a deal. This was the type of example which was given. Low level stuff which really didn't matter. Remember people in some countries will beat you up for accidentally showing them your foot.

Jesus did not say "If someone rapes your wife, hand him your daughter as well."

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  4. agedman

agedman Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    The thread is based upon the believer’s acts toward leadership.

But by making it personal as one on one and creating levels such as “low level stuff,” I suppose you don’t regard the Scripture statements:

27“But I say to you who hear, love your enemies, do good to those who hate you, 28bless those who curse you, pray for those who mistreat you. 29“Whoever hits you on the cheek, offer him the other also; and whoever takes away your coat, do not withhold your shirt from him either. 30“Give to everyone who asks of you, and whoever takes away what is yours, do not demand it back. 31“Treat others the same way you want them to treat you. 32“If you love those who love you, what credit is that to you? For even sinners love those who love them. 33“If you do good to those who do good to you, what credit is that to you? For even sinners do the same. 34“If you lend to those from whom you expect to receive, what credit is that to you? Even sinners lend to sinners in order to receive back the same amount. 35“But love your enemies, and do good, and lend, expecting nothing in return; and your reward will be great, and you will be sons of the Most High; for He Himself is kind to ungrateful and evil men. 36“Be merciful, just as your Father is merciful.“​
    And:
    19Beloved, never avenge yourselves, but leave iti to the wrath of God, for it is written, “Vengeance is mine, I will repay, says the Lord.” 20To the contrary, “if your enemy is hungry, feed him; if he is thirsty, give him something to drink; for by so doing you will heap burning coals on his head.” 21Do not be overcome by evil, but overcome evil with good.
    Thomas (Stonewall) Jackson was noted for remarkable courage. He considered that death comes at God’s timing and that time not determined by humankind acts. His death was not by humankind.

While it is true atrocious acts occur, it is the retribution aspect this thread is concerned.