1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Political Participation

Discussion in '2004 Archive' started by gb93433, Apr 22, 2004.

1. JeffM

JeffM New Member

Blind obedience to ones government is not Biblical.

What about Shadrach, Meshach, and Abed-nego? They refused to bow down and worship Nebuchadnezzar's golden image.

Daniel himself disobeyed King Darius and the law against making petitions to any other God or man besides Darius and was thrown into the lions den.

As someone said above, half of the New Testament was written from prison.

Our very own country, which I consider a gift from God, was founded by rebels. There comes a time when rebellion becomes obedience to God. You can't serve two masters.

As a Christian, I believe blatant rebellion should be used only as a last resort.

The founders petitioned King George for several years to abolish slavery. The Continental Congress tried several times to abolish slavery in the colonies, but King George would veto their legislation. There comes a time when you have to put your foot down. God isn't always going to miraculously make things better. He uses us to do his work. Unfortunately rebellion is a way to make change.

Another instance would be Rosa Parks. For years, she sat obediently in her designated part of the bus, which was enforced by actual laws. But one day she decided she had had just about enough. So she refused to sit in the back of the bus and refused to give her seat up to a white person. She broke several laws, but this one simple act of rebellion led to the civil rights movement and the abolishment of some terrible laws. Was she wrong for her rebellion?

Lets go back even further. What about the people who broke slavery laws smuggling slaves to the north?

History is littered with rebels who defied unGodly laws and governments.

I am convinced that the reason America has become morally corrupt is because Christians have taken a backseat. If you read the writing of the founders, they warn that Christians must maintain a constant vigilance in order for our government to survive.

Satan has been working overtime putting his people into power and I feel he mis-uses Roman 13 so he would have no competition. Imagine if Christians remained an active part of the political system as the founders insisted, we wouldn't be in this immoral quagmire.