1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Politics and Non-Profits

Discussion in 'Political Debate & Discussion' started by StefanM, Jul 19, 2006.

1. StefanM

StefanM Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    We were discussing the IRS crackdown on political speech in churches, but that thread's about to be shut.

I have a topic for discussion. Instead of making the church conform to the non-political speech requirements or having the church exempt from this requirement (and not other non-profits)....

What about allowing all non-profits to be as political as they want?

This obviously would allow political parties to be non-profit, tax-exempt organizations, if they so choose.

What say you?

2. KenH

KenH Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    I have no problem with it. I don't think that one's tax status should determine one's free speech rights. We allow people who live on the taxpayers' money to speak freely about politics.

3. billwald

billwald New Member

>This obviously would allow political parties to be non-profit, tax-exempt organizations, if they so choose.

They are non-profits.

4. JamieinNH

JamieinNH New Member

I, like Ken wouldn't see a problem with it, but I have an added view.

If the Church really wanted to be able to say whatever they wanted to without the need to worry about their "status with the government" Why not give up the non-profit status and then they would be able to speak freely.

I have never had an organization that was non-profit, so I am speaking very limited here, as I have no first hand knowledge.

To me, I would say give up the non-profit status in order to speak freely and work towards changing the current laws to allow the church, even under a non-profit status to be able to speak freely, than reply for the non-profit status.

Sounds like a round about, but in my opinion, I would think this would be a solution that would work.

Sounds reasonable? Stupid?

Jamie

5. StefanM

StefanM Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I thought they weren't tax-exempt, though.

#5 StefanM, Jul 19, 2006
    Last edited by a moderator: Jul 19, 2006
  6. El_Guero

El_Guero New Member

What you have to do (this is from memory) is set up a non-profit education type foundation to educate on your particular POV (point of view). The river boat guys that stood up against Kerry were that type of non-profit. The many non-profits that the democrats used during the last election to target their opposition were non-profits. These kinds of non-profits also have some loopholes about giving amounts (or at least they did - there was talk about shutting the loopholes).