1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Politics and/or religion

Discussion in 'Political Debate & Discussion' started by Salty, Aug 14, 2013.

1. Salty

Salty 20,000 Posts Club
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Found this on a facebook page about politics and religon:
    Imagine if everyone was this passionate about things that actually matter. (photo shows exicited fans at a baseball game)

SALTY: lets see, its acceptable to be a sports fan, but when we become a fan for Christ - the other side uses the full word of fanatic to describe us.

OTHER POSTER: as for me, i think it's great to be a fanatic for Christ. Of course, I think that doesn't mean doing silly rah-rah things -- but rather living out one's life based on Jesus values. To start, that means caring a lot about the sick, poor, oppressed, immigrants. It means generally opposing rich, powerful, corrupt influences. It means hating hypocrisy.

Those are things being a true Jesus fanatic are about.

Certainly, that can't include supporting the Republican party which opposes most of the values Jesus held dear.

SALTY: That is a subject for another discussion
    thoughts?

2. Salty

Salty 20,000 Posts Club
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Here is another one- just the highlights:
    Jesus got angry -chased money changers - what (expleted deleted) off was greed
    Bible gives hundreds of passages to help the poor, sick and elderly
    There are zero passages where Jesus codemned
    homosexuality, birth control, abortion or progressive tax
    Today conservtives invoke Jesus name in condemning these.

(Poster #1)
    This is fabulous ! Of course , the right wing nut bags will think of ways to refute it... Then the fun begins!

Salty Even if Jesus had personally spoken out on the things - that were listed - would it have made a difference to you???

Poster # 1 But he DIDN'T Blanche , er Bob... he didn't. So it brings me to this, why does it make a difference to YOU that he didn't? Does it make you nervous that all these folks who have been putting words in your saviors mouth all these years , May be wrong... ?

Poster # 2 Yep, hard to imagine he would have been for the bank bailouts but against universal healthcare.

Poster # 3 Bob, you need to Dial a Prayer because you haven't one! If there was a Jesus H. Christ, he didn't meddle in politics like your right wing nuts do. He never talked about the issues that your types have on your republicants platform. If there was an anti...See More
    '>
    Salty I have run for political office. I do not mix politics and religion, unless it involves moral issues.

Poster # 2 What kind of moral issues would lead you to mix the religion with politics? just wondering what kind of example you could give.

Poster # 3 Bob, you do not know what is moral. Morality belongs in your house of worship where it needs to stay. All the things mentioned in this post were happening in the biblical times, and archaeological finds have proven it so. But Jesus himself didn't conde...See More

Poster # 3 I like what was said about putting words in their savior a mouth. He even warned of false Christ's and false prophets. Bob's kind fit both if those that is false. That's the great mind of Thomas Jefferson who realized this. He had to rid the f...See More

Salty James, your right morality belongs in the church, so I will no longer preach against murder, theft, ect.....

3. Salty

Salty 20,000 Posts Club
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Continue from last post:

Poster # 3 there is a difference from religious morality than from society morality.... that is why we have laws. And churches have spiritual laws, but you cannot distinguish them from each other. The ten commandments actually were a society and religious moralit...See More

Poster # 1 Ok Gents.. Please remember, this is not a religious forum... There was a post, we weighed in on it.. Now we are talking about things not related to the original point of the post... time to let it go to bed.

Salty But who decides what is society only morality?

Poster # 1 I regret to say ,I don't understand exactly what you are trying to ask. You need to clarify please. Thanks.

Salty Naturlly, when I said murder should be acceptable, I was being facetious. The quesiton remains - who decides morality?

Poster # 2 society decides, not church or state. both take direction from the people. in theory at lest.

Salty but who in society?

Poster # 2 majority / mob rules. the masses elect those whose beliefs reflect theirs and worship where they hear what supports that belief.

Salty you stated that State does not decide - so are you suggesting if someone commits a murder, than society at large can go out and lynch someone?

Poster # 2 no no. society decides what is for the majority moaral behavior. the then elect representitives to put that into practice. where we are today is with the majority if the people no longer believing their representitives share their morals but are not willing to votr.

Salty So in the end - the State does make the decision? So if the majorty of citizens declare that mercy killing is acceptabile - those who do not believe in it, could be subjet to it????