1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Politics at Thanksgiving

Discussion in 'Political Debate & Discussion' started by Salty, Oct 11, 2021.

1. Salty

Salty 20,000 Posts Club
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    This advice column is from 10 Oct 21.
    Would you heed the advice that Amy gave - if you were "Tired"?
    Why or why not.

Dear Amy:
    We are usually invited by nieces and nephews to join them for Thanksgiving dinner.

My problem concerns my brother, “Jack,” who inevitably brings up topics that we do not agree with (he believes that COVID is just a mild flu, vaccines are not useful, the last election was stolen, the current president is stupid, climate change is a hoax, etc.).

Most of the family supported the former president in the last election; we are probably the only ones in the family who voted Democratic.

At one of the last family get-togethers, Jack and another family member were having a discussion in front of my husband, saying that most Democrats don’t go to church and don’t have morals.

My husband didn’t say anything, but he was offended.

At one of the last family get-togethers, Jack and another family member were having a discussion in front of my husband, saying that most Democrats don’t go to church and don’t have morals.

My husband didn’t say anything, but he was offended.

Should I just tell Jack that I am tired of him bringing up inflammatory topics, and I am staying home?

I know he will not refrain from bringing up these topics, and he is very dogmatic in his views.

– Tired

Dear Tired: In addition to the political divide, you have described an incident where your husband was offended (for good reason), but didn’t respond.

Why not?

You seem extremely passive in the face of this onslaught, perhaps because it is overwhelming in the moment, but it seems to me that these family members aren’t starting arguments – because
    All the same – it is galling to be lectured to, especially since your guy is in the White House.

You don’t need to invent an excuse in order to decline this year. Just tell them you’ve decided to take a break from politics.

Amy

2. canadyjd

canadyjd Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Sounds like good advice. Stay home, avoid the headache.

peace to you

3. Reynolds

Reynolds Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I think Jack is too fine a person to be associating with the leftist that wrote Amy.

4. Salty

Salty 20,000 Posts Club
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    I suppose you are right - Jesus would never do that

5. Reynolds

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    You don't know what Jesus would do. Did He ever handle a situation in Scripture the way you thought He would?

6. Salty

Salty 20,000 Posts Club
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    He did talk to a women on her fifth husband and living with another....

7. Reynolds

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    He did. He also beat some people with a whip. He called some dogs, snakes, sons of their father Satan.

• Agree Agree x 1
  8. Reformed

Reformed Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I have an older cousin who disowned me from the family for no other reason that I did not accept her Progressive-Communist view of the world. I was always kind and gracious to her, but in her parting shot on my FB page she said how ashamed she was that we are related by blood. So, she publicly disavowed any family connection to me before unfriending and blocking me. The only one made miserable by her antics is her. I shrugged my shoulders and moved on. If this happened at Thanksgiving she probably would have thrown the turkey at me!

9. JonC

JonC Moderator

Faith:
    Baptist
    We get into political arguments every Thanksgiving. Ham or turkey. It is so divisive. And no room for compromise (I tried this one year, told my wife maybe she should make both).:(

• Winner Winner x 1
  10. canadyjd

canadyjd Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    It doesn’t matter how nice you are. The very fact you disagree and are willing to say it out loud is so debilitating to some they simply cannot cope.

peace to you

• Agree Agree x 1
  11. Bible Thumpin n Gun Totin

Bible Thumpin n Gun Totin Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Being full of gun toting JFK Dems, Libertarians and Conservatives, the biggest debate in my family is where the liberty line is (I.e Libertarian vs JFK Dem vs Conservative, and where to buy the cheapest ammo. Then all the military vets start ragging on the current pansy military and about how they couldn't fight their way out of a wet paper bag.

We don't have any knock-down, drag out discussions because we all agree on reality. You know, 2 genders, the sun is yellow, your money is your money, etc.

I couldn't imagine having an insane kook at the table where they can't even agree those aspects of reality. We'd probably just ignore them or make fun of them if we did.

12. Reynolds

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    We have one Democrat in our extended family. Every time he shows up to anything, we run him off.