1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Politics in Corporate Worship: What Would You Do?

Discussion in 'General Baptist Discussions' started by jaigner, Aug 15, 2010.

1. RAdam

RAdam New Member

A personal conviction does not give one authority to do something in a worship service directed at God.

2. thegospelgeek

thegospelgeek New Member

I don't have a dog in this fight, but as the father of two soldiers I can not say how much these things help those deployed. Both of my boys have recieved cards and packages from churches or Christians while in Iraq. My oldest just became a Christian and I can not help but think that those small tokens and the prayers of those who sent them played a role in his commitment (contrary to what many believe). My youngest is going on his second 13 month tour in September and I hope and pray that he gets more of this kind of support. It means so much to them.

3. jaigner

jaigner Active Member

Yes. Beyond that, worship is something that happens outside of the church building. Corporate worship is symbolic of the rest of one's life. I don't see that happening a lot, either.

4. Earth Wind and Fire

Earth Wind and Fire Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Wow....what a statement. Sad commentary indeed but thanks for telling the truth.

Faith comes by hearing....:thumbs:

5. Alcott

Alcott Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Then going by much of the reasoning on this thread, since funerals are not focused on God, but on someone besides God, they do not belong 'in church.' Correct? Furthermore, if we have a lifeless body there to look at, to admire, perhaps adore, to praise what 'it' once did... funerals, as usually done, are exercises in idolatry. But it appears most would still have funerals in church, but many would not have the P of A.

And since no scripture tells us to have funerals, in church or anywhere, are we sinning if we do anything besides dig the hole and throw it in, or burn it and get rid of the ashes?

6. sag38

sag38 Active Member

I have never conducted a funeral service where I did not lead the congregation to worship. Whether some did or not is beside the point. Today I went to the funeral of man who displayed a life of serving Christ in everything he did. Many were impacted by his witness and ministry. We celebrated his life in which we laughed and cried. More importantly we sang great hymns of the faith, heard a sermon from Psalm 1, was comforted from John 14, and the gospel was presented uplifting Jesus as being the way, the truth, and the life. You can say what you want but at this funeral service there was indeed worship and in my heart there is still joy in knowing that I was in God's presence at this worship/funeral service.

As I think about it, I wonder if anyone would tell Isaiah that he wasn't at a worship service when he attended King Uzziah's funeral?

7. TomVols

TomVols New Member

Passage? Just curious.

8. NiteShift

NiteShift New Member

Well then you must think that God is offended by any type of announcement regarding activities after church or outside of church. Before television and the internet, church was where people not only learned about the Lord and sang praises, it was also where they found out who had died, who had been born, who needed help, who was having a get-together. I seriously doubt that God was offended by all that. Do we have a kind father in heaven or some stern tight-lipped taskmaster? As for the Pledge, ok then don't say it. Do you also think that our Lord is angry when we ask His blessing on our country? Is singing God bless America a sin? I'm sure some here would think so. God has blessed us greatly here. I think that thanking him for those blessings and asking his continued blessings on our country are pleasing to him.

"And Jesus answering said, Were there not ten cleansed? but where are the nine?"

9. Pastor Larry

Pastor Larry <b>Moderator</b>
    Site Supporter

As a part of worship, yes I think it is inappropriate. That's why we have all our announcements at the beginning and at the end, so that we don't interrupt worship in song and message with announcements. We have announcements, then we begin worship. We sing, pray, sing and take the offering, preach, pray, and sing. We do these things because God has commanded each one of them. We have the ordinances periodically as well, again, because God has commanded them. We do not do anything in worship that God has not commanded us to do.

However, these announcements generally do serve a body function in that they announce fellowship events, Bible study events, etc, all of which are legitimate biblically prescribed functions. The pledge of allegiance does not fit into any of those categories. BTW, the Pledge of Allegiance leads people to lie in church because we are not "one nation under God" with "liberty and justice for all." Many in our country are not under God, and they do not have liberty and justice. So we are in effect asking people to tell lies as a part of worship to God.

Yes we do. He demands perfection, and everyone who doesn't have it goes to hell for eternity. It is far more austere than you can imagine. In fact, because of his perfect demands, he killed his own son. And he did that because of his perfection and our sinfulness. So he is a Father who is a stern tight-lipped taskmaster. He tells us what to do, and then he did it for us. And now he calls us to walk worthy of it.

No, that it a biblical command (1 Tim 2:1-2). Saying the Pledge of Allegiance is not.

Not really, but it is inappropriate for gospel worship since it doesn't have anything to do with the gospel, and divides people on the national lines that Jesus died to erase.

I completely agree. In the Bible, these things are commanded as a part of worship -- to praise God for his mercy to us and to pray for continued mercy.

That is exactly my point: We do these things because God has commanded us to. He has told us that this pleases him. He has not said that about pledging allegiance to a political entity.

10. sag38

sag38 Active Member

Quote:
    As I think about it, I wonder if anyone would tell Isaiah that he wasn't at a worship service when he attended King Uzziah's funeral?
    Passage? Just curious.

In Isaiah 6, Isaiah is attending the funeral of King Uzziah when he looks up and sees the pre-incarnate Christ.

11. sag38

sag38 Active Member

SAG's Bible argument crashes and burns....

Actually, I stand corrected. Some assume that Isaiah was at Uzziah's funeral. Somewhere along the line that's what was what I read or was taught. However, the scripture doesn't say this directly. Isaiah simply states that in the year of Uzziah's death he saw the Lord..... It's an assumption to say he was Uzziah's funeral when he saw the Lord.

12. Ruiz

Ruiz New Member

I ask and I want to ask again: Who here would, when meeting God, ask to say the pledge of Allegiance?

You come before the throne of God in all His awe and glory. In the midst of the splendor, you stand to give a pledge of allegiance to the flag.

I would find it rather inappropriate as I do of those who wish to pledge in the midst of a church service. Our service is as close to God's awe and glory we will experience this side of glory.

Personally, I believe those who wish to say the pledge in our church does not fully understand the Awe and Glory God shows forth in His Church.

13. NiteShift

NiteShift New Member

You are hair-splitting PL. It is not as if a pledge of allegiance would be recited right in the middle of a sermon. It would be separate, just as all of your examples are. Though to be honest I have never seen the pledge recited in any church service.

Thank you for presenting the gospel to me. I am familiar with it and have been baptized in His name.

Singing God Bless America is a prayer set to music. It is a request. Not inappropriate at all. But I will say that the Quakers agree with you, as well as Rev Wright.

14. TomVols

TomVols New Member

Apples and bowling pins. Churches do make a recitation of a pledge or singing of the national anthem (we haven't touched on that yet) as a component of worship. Larry's reference to announcements ABOUT ministry, etc., are an obvious distinction that's hard to miss unless one is intentionally overlooking it.
    That's another apple altogether :tongue3:
    This appears to be ad hominem since you bring up Jeremiah Wright, who is coming from a far different place than Pastor Larry or I am. We come from a prescriptive stance that the Bible dictates the content of our worship. Wright believes our response to God is dictated by our cultural trappings or our cultural setting/situation. Come to think of it, he sounds just like.......

15. NiteShift

NiteShift New Member

So then what is the problem? Several have said that it has no place in the church and that is what the OP contended. So do you approve or disapprove of this component of worship?

True, Rev. Wright is coming from a different place, in his case the land of hatred for white America. But he has arrived at the same destination. I only pointed that out.

Sounds just like me? And you think that I am arguing only on the basis of cultural trappings. Thanks for making me aware ...

Jesus wondered why the 9 cleansed lepers never came back to thank him for the gift that they had received. It would take an ungrateful wretch not to thank him for his blessings upon us and to ask that they continue, and we might even do this in church. I hope that doesn't run afoul of your prescriptive stance.

16. Pastor Larry

Pastor Larry <b>Moderator</b>
    Site Supporter

It's a pretty important hair. The worship service is more than just a sermon. It's the whole thing from music to prayer to preaching to offering.

I wasn't doubting that. I was simply asking the question. But I wonder how many people wouldn't have recognized that as the gospel.

I doubt that either the Quakers or Wright agree with me.

17. NiteShift

NiteShift New Member

They would agree with the statement that singing God Bless America in church is inappropriate. Likely not much else though. No disrepect to you pastor.

18. RAdam

RAdam New Member

Well, so what? So what if some group agrees with them? Why is that germaine to the discussion? Are the reasons for opposition the same? You didn't say. It seems to be a comment aimed at casting a certain light on your opposition.

Does saying the pledge of allegiance during a worship service honor God?

19. Dale-c

Dale-c Active Member

I just read this entire thread.

I must say that Pastor Larry is spot on.
    I will not say much more that to say I agree with PL and that we also need to get over this silly notion that the US is somehow God's chosen people.
    We are no more a special nation than Japan, England, Canada or China.

20. J.D.

J.D. Active Member
    Site Supporter

I'll second that. And the next time the song leader tells us to open our hymn books to "Battle Hymn of the Republic", I may just get up and walk out!