1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Featured Poll: Are you a Calvanist?

Discussion in 'General Baptist Discussions' started by aviator1, Jun 17, 2013.

?

Are you a Calvanist?

Poll closed Jul 17, 2013.
  1. Yes

11 vote(s)
    28.2%
  2. No

28 vote(s)
    71.8%
  1. JohnDeereFan

JohnDeereFan Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Now there's some irony for you!

2. Baptist4life

Baptist4life Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Christian born again..........when I die I'll be in Heaven! Glad I'm not a Calvinist! I'd just be..........................DEAD. :laugh:

3. Crabtownboy

Crabtownboy Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Not a Calvinist.

Why?

Because the Calvinist on this BB have convinced me they are wrong!

4. Havensdad

Havensdad New Member

It would have been a much better, and more accurate poll, if you would have asked, "Do you believe in both unconditional election and specific atonement. Many people who ARE actually Calvinist in their beliefs, will deny being a Calvinist because of the term. Especially in the SBC, where more Arminian leaning pastors and preachers, have been spreading disinformation and demonizing their counterparts for a half a century or more.

5. JohnDeereFan

JohnDeereFan Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    By that logic, based on the Finneyists here, I shouldn't be rational or polite.

6. Monster

Monster New Member

That got a big ol' belly laugh from me. Thanks! It's been a rough few days and you just helped to break down part of the pent up tension dam. :smilewinkgrin:

I voted no, because God is bigger, period. If a pole asked me if I was an Arma-whatever-dispy-ism-ism-istian, I'd vote no to that one too and say again, that God is bigger.

:godisgood:

7. Havensdad

Havensdad New Member

This is a false argument. This denies the reality that God has revealed Himself rightly in his own revelation to us; to affirm what the Bible teaches, is not to say that God is "small" ;instead it merely affirms that He was truthful in His description and purposes. The Bible does not claim to be a complete revelation of God, but it IS accurate...and that does NOT mean "God is small."

8. Zaac

Zaac Well-Known Member

Follower of Jesus. ANd I never want to be known for adhering to the teachings of men but of CHRIST!!!:thumbsup:

9. Monster

Monster New Member

There's no such thing in my vernacular as a "false argument". You may believe that I'm wrong, incorrect or way out in left field, whatever pleases you. I'm alright with that, but I deny that I argue falsely, absolutely so. There's no deceit or misrepresentation or disingenuous in my statements.

I believe without equivocation that God is revealed in the Bible as completely as He desires us to know Him. I do not believe however that the dogmas so rabidly vomited forth by far too many of his children have it just right, not yet, and not until Christ returns, better put, God is bigger. We see through a glass darkly.

And your last statement actually affirms my belief, that God is bigger, thanks! Maybe that means we're just sharpening each other and not at odds? That's what I hope at least. If this even starts to devolve into "who's got the biggest bark contest, I give, you win and I'll slink away, cowed".

As anecdotal proof, have you ever read a scripture for the umpteenth time and found the Holy Spirit revealing something entirely fresh or even "new" to you? I certainly have, and I've been in this process for more than forty years, God is bigger and thank God for that.

I hope that clarifies my position a little.

10. Yeshua1

Yeshua1 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Yes, but NOT one in the same sense that say a reformed baptist would say that they are one!

DO hold firmly to the DoG, and see Sotierology as the PRIMARY dividing line between sayingone is a cal or not...

Would see myself as say Dr MacArthur, another "leaky Dispy Calvinist!

Think many would say that one MUST hold to at least all 5 points of the DoG, and perhaops even fully with Covenant theology to boot to be considered as one!

My definition not as strict as that!"

11. aviator1

aviator1 New Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Thanks for your comments and advice.

I'm new to this board, and I just wanted to see what kind of answers I would get, and follow the evolutuion of the comments and answers.

It was not meant to be scientific. Just a simple yes or no, and if you don't fit into either category.....don't vote.

I suppose I should have included an "Other" category.

12. pinoybaptist

pinoybaptist Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    :thumbsup::thumbsup:

13. Yeshua1

Yeshua1 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    To me , that really defines the issue of one being a cal or not!

You hold to a definite atonement, based upon ONLY sovereign Will of God for ones election to salvation, and eternal security, that to me means you are a calvinist!