1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Poll: Future Great Tribulation?

Discussion in '2003 Archive' started by Grasshopper, May 2, 2003.

?
  1. Yes, it is still future

100.0%
  2. No, it happened in AD 70

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. Dan Todd

Dan Todd Active Member

Brother Grasshopper:

One of your poll choices was:
    Based on that - one of the two answers in your poll and the long list of verses that you asked me to consider (98 I believe it was) - I am assuming that you think the tribulation was in A.D. 70 [or am I assuming too much - perhaps in all your agruments you were playing the "devil's advocate")?

It finally dawned on me (the light went on) - you had about 11 references in your list from the Book of Revelation.

Revelation was written in:
    1. ca. A.D. 94-96 {MacArthur Study Bible}
    2. A.D. 96 {My trusty "The Scofield Reference Bible" - the original one complete with the KJV}

Conclusion: It seems to me that if the tribulation took place in A.D. 70 - the dear Apostle John would have so stated the obvious when he penned the Book of Revelation some 24 to 26 years later.

2. KenH

KenH Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Kenneth L.Gentry, Jr. has written a book entitled Before Jerusalem Fell that makes the case for a pre-70 A.D. date for the writing of the book of Revelation. It is a very detailed book - 409 pages long. I have a copy of it but have not read it but I have heard that it is quite good.

3. Dr. Bob

Dr. Bob Administrator
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Preterist have been forced into accepting an "early" date for Revelation . . or their wild theories fall like a deck of cards. Once a premise is accepted, it has ramifications on all other parts of our theology!

Gleason Archer and RK Harrison write great NT Introductions that defend the traditional late date for Revelation and thereby debunk the partial preterists per se.

I will start a separate thread on the "dating" of Revelation and add more to it later!

4. donnA

donnA Active Member

If the tribulation was in 70ad, what about the seven years of tribulation? How about the 1000 year reign of Christ? And where does that out us now, 2000 years later? The judgement has already taken place, and we're here, how does that make sence? That means if it's all over with, beginning to end of the human history in the bible, the end has already arrived, why are we here, and what are we believeing in? Why are we wasteing our time? We obviously can't be christians(biblically, if it's all over with we missed our chance at heaven by 2000 years).
    Get off it, I'll take the bible, someone else is more then welcome to take man's version that is obviously seperate from biblical truth.

5. KenH

KenH Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    According to the amillennialist viewpoint, the 1000 years mentioned only in chapter 20 of Revelation is symbolic(as the book of Revelation states that it is a book of symbols) of the time frame from the cross to Jesus' second coming.

Personally, I am currently undecided between amillennialism, historical premillennialism, and postmillennialism, so I state the above not to defend it but for information purposes. [​IMG]

6. Grasshopper

Grasshopper Active Member
    Site Supporter

Preterist have been forced into accepting an "early" date for Revelation . . or their wild theories fall like a deck of cards. Once a premise is accepted, it has ramifications on all other parts of our theology!

Dispensationalist have to believe in a gap theory in Daniel 9 or their wild theories fall like a deck of cards. Once a premise is accepted, it has ramifications on all other parts of our theology.

7. KenH

KenH Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Great point, Grasshopper! [​IMG]

8. donnA

donnA Active Member

In that case, Jesus has still come and gone and here we are.

9. KenH

KenH Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    That is a question about Full Preterism. I probably have as many problems, at this point anyway, with Full Preterism as I do with dispensational premillennialism. They are at the opposite extreme ends of the eschatological continuum.

10. Grasshopper

Grasshopper Active Member
    Site Supporter

In that case, Jesus has still come and gone and here we are.

Or maybe His coming is different than what you've been taught. Check all the "Comings of the Lord" in the O.T. and see how many were physical, and how many were judgements. Interesting study.

11. KenH

KenH Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    You know, Grasshopper, we all grow up with our own little comfort zones in all areas of life, including Bible doctrines. Then something comes along to rock us out of our comfort zone and we realize that not everyone believes just like we do. We then do one of two things - we either offhandedly dismiss the different teaching since it doesn't agree with what we already believe, or we sincerely examine it because our main interest is to seek God's truth regardless of what it means to our long-held, cherished beliefs.

I pray that we will all choose the latter course. [​IMG]

12. C.S. Murphy

C.S. Murphy New Member

According to the amillennialist viewpoint, the 1000 years mentioned only in chapter 20 of Revelation is symbolic(as the book of Revelation states that it is a book of symbols) of the time frame from the cross to Jesus' second coming

Ken if the above is your view then I feel you have taken the former instead of your preferred latter course. As to this important doctrine only being mentioned in chapter 20 I wonder how many times does something have to be mentioned in scripture for it to be accepted by you?
    Murph

13. KenH

KenH Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    As I think I have stated before, I am not settled currently on an eschatology. The only one that I have weighed in the balance so far and found wanting is dispensational premillennialism. I am still weighing the others. [​IMG]