1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Poll: Lord's Supper Observance

Discussion in '2000-02 Archive' started by Dr. Bob, Feb 13, 2002.

1. rsr

rsr <b> 7,000 posts club</b>

Faith:
    Baptist
    Some time back I read a Wall Street Journal story about churches' increasing turning to white juice or wine because the red fluid stains the tablecloths and there are fewer and fewer people who know how to remove the stains.

2. Jamal5000

Jamal5000 New Member

Quarterly: 4th Sunday January, 4th Sunday April, 4th Sunday July, 4th Sunday October.

Our reason for doing it so infrequently puzzles me, for our by-laws do not mention my church's policy for the Lord's Supper at all.

3. javalady

javalady New Member

We use matzah (unleavened bread, as the Jews did in Passover) and concord grape juice; attempting to have the Lord's Supper once a month.
    We do not have evening service: we have morning worship followed by a fellowship meal. The Lord's Supper is towards the end of the service.
    Instruction from the Word is given about taking part in the Lord's table, and there is time given for reflection before it is offered (as well as direction the week before).
    For any we are not sure of their understanding of taking of the Lord's Supper, we ask them to read the portion from the RBC booklet, "Baptism & the Lord's Supper" by DeHaan and talk to them about it later.

4. Bartimaeus

Bartimaeus New Member

*We believe the Lord's Table is done in memorial of His death till the Lord returns.

*It gives us opportunity for personal examination and also outward examination (to bring divisions together).

*We use grape juice and unleavened bread that my wife or daughter makes at home.

*We practice closed fellowship.

*We will practice the ordinace at least once a quarter. We will also have it if one of our people in fellowship decide there is a need.

[ February 18, 2002: Message edited by: Bartimaeus ]

5. Siegfried

Siegfried Member

I've heard of some churches in the US that now use Coke and potato chips. How important do you all think the actual elements are? Are they demanded, or is the memorial the major emphasis?

What if you were pastoring in a geographic region where grape juice products weren't available or were extremely expensive--say, northern Alaska?

Personally, I think Coke and chips trivializes the Lord's supper, but I still think the memorial is the most important facet of the ordinance.

6. Vicki

Vicki New Member

Our Church does it Sunday during morning service but before the alter call. Done twice a year but need to find out what determines that schedule.

Love in Christ,
    -- Vicki

7. TomVols

TomVols New Member

4-6 times per year, at varied times.

8. tyndale1946

tyndale1946 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I'm also a Primitive Baptist and we celebrate the Lords death until he comes again in the following manner... Unleavened bread and wine... We also wash the saints feet... Brothers with brothers and sisters with sisters... It is closed communion and we celebrate it twice a year in the summer and fall... Brother Glen [​IMG]

9. Rev. Sam

Rev. Sam New Member

Our Church has it first Sunday of monthly "AM". Not sure why. I feel communion is important but we need to not do it without remembering why we are doing it.

10. Pete Richert

Pete Richert New Member

Once a month, first Sunday. I went to a church in college though they did in every week, in a service that was before the sunday school service and regular service time. The service was specifically for the Lord's supper. I prefer it every week.

11. Frank

Frank New Member

Pol the Observance of the Lord's Supper:
    The Lord's supper was instituted inremebrance of the death of Christ and what he has done for us. (I Cor.11:24).This practice was to be done often in accordance with Christ's command. (ICor.11:26)
    The church practiced this steadfastly.(Acts 2:42). The word steadfastly means to continue a pattern without cessation. Therefore, It should be practiced as often and as steadfast as there is a first day of the week. This was so important that Paul waited on his journey to Miletus partake of the Lord's supper. ( Acts 20:1-7). By example, an implication, the Lord's Supper is taken every first day of the week.
    Sincerely,
    Frank

12. Because He Lives

Site Supporter

We have communion whenever my husband, the pastor, feels a need in our church. In the past it has been taken on a very irregular basis. We have been here about seven months and have partaken in communion twice so far. We will be having communion again on Easter Sunday. My husband would like to see our church partake in communion at least four times a year.