1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Poll: Pastoring

Discussion in 'Polls Forum' started by LadyEagle, Jan 8, 2006.

?
  1. A "call" from God

56.9%
  2. Seminary Degree

5.9%
  3. Willingness to help people

5.9%
  4. Desire to Study God's Word

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  5. Outstanding Curriculum Vitae

2.0%
  6. Being able to motivate people

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  7. Being a Good Orator

25.5%
  8. Other not mentioned above

3.9%
  9. Don't know

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. Bro. James Reed

Bro. James Reed New Member

Alcott, I'm not saying that the qualifications are not important.

What I am saying is that if a man is not called of God to preach, then the rest doesn't matter in his case.

Every preacher should have those qualifications, but the whole thing lies upon God calling the man to do that specific work.

Do you not agree?

2. gb93433

gb93433 Active Member
    Site Supporter

The primary qualification is that a pastor or any other leader be already proven by their leadership seen in the leading of others who are looking to that person for leadership. Is that pastor making disciples personally? I would take a look at the quality of the disciples the person makes.

3. Alcott

Alcott Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Does God do the "calling," is it a church which does the "calling," or is it "desiring a good work," as the scripture states? So many people throw around terms like "called by God" as if that's something mystic that must be accepted without questioning.

If you have a tape which can be studied in a lab in which God spoke to you from a burning bush, or that of a Damascus Road experience, then show it. But to say you're "called of God" and that's all that is required to attain a responsbile eldership position... I could never go by that, but by the stated qualifications.

4. gb93433

gb93433 Active Member
    Site Supporter

I have seen dreamers who have never discipled anyone who were high on something on themselves and what they were dreaming about and then told me God called them. As I watched their life it was clear they were high on themselves.

The Bible says they are not to be a new convert. That means they must have proof of their leadership in the disciples they make.

5. Bro. James Reed

Bro. James Reed New Member

Are yall wearing blinders or what?

I said that the first thing that preacher needs is a call to preach. That is a call from God that only a man who has been called to preach knows. It is something within you that directs you to preach the gospel.

After that, then he must fit the physical qualifications described by yall. Those qualifications are what lets the church know, by seeing them in the man, that this person is a proper candidate for being recognized and set aside by the church to fill that office.

If you would read my previous post, you would know that I believe the same about those qualifications as you do.

6. gb93433

gb93433 Active Member
    Site Supporter

Every person is called to the gospel ministry. Every person is called to share their faith. Every person is called to preach the good news. Every person is commanded to make disciples. Some have great oratory skils and cannot preach worth a flip because they do not know God. All they know is church.

If a man knows God he has something to preach. Not every pastor will preach the gospel to very person. So that leavees others who do the preaching. That includes women who reach other women. Nobody hears the gospel without a preacher. If one takes a look at where most people are reached it is not through a pastor nor in a church building but through a friend.

The problem is that so many in church think it is the pastors job to preach and reach people while they sit around and watch because they claim he is "called" and they are not. Which is a lie straight from hell.

Give me one verse to show where a pastor is "called" in a biblical sense not just some man-made theology but from the word itself.

7. I Am Blessed 24

I Am Blessed 24 Active Member

But not everyone is called to be a Pastor. The call comes first, then the qualifications.

My Pastor has always said that if a man would/could be happy doing anything else with his life (other than preaching) then he does not have the call of God on his life to be a Pastor.

BTW, I also believe that women are called to be Pastor's wives... ;)