1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Poll: Roman Catholic

Discussion in '2003 Archive' started by Dr. Bob, Jul 20, 2003.

?
  1. Yes

74.5%
  2. Maybe

21.8%
  3. No

3.6%
  4. Unsure/No Opinion

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. Berean Searcher

Berean Searcher New Member

Brian, the reasons I left are many. It started when I visited an Assemblies of God church, continued when I was part of a "Little Rock" bible study group, and continued through a messy divorce, among other things...One of these days I'm going to write it all up!

B. S.

2. Artimaeus

Artimaeus Active Member

Tell me, I pray thee, when did Abraham pray to his dead sister? [​IMG] (I didn't misuse the word pray and I WAS talking about beseeching the dead.)

Then it is not a misconception to say that Roman Catholics pray to the dead.

But what I stated was not a misconception. Absolve does not mean to announce it means to remit. Christ gave that authority to the Apostles not to RC Priests uniquely.

Roman Catholic Position

Catechisms

It isn't literal, it is out of context and wrong.

So do I, just not to GAIN salvation.

It might have been me. [​IMG] Christ + ANYTHING to obtain salvation is a false gospel. Christ + whatever else the Bible says to reach Christian maturity.

Agreed. Many conflicts with Roman Catholicism, however, are NOT based on misconceptions but on what is actually taught by the RCC. Which was the point of MY original comments.

3. BrianT

BrianT New Member

The concept of praying to saints in heaven comes from places in Rev 5 and 8, where the "prayers of the saints" are "passed on" from others (i.e. not going directly to God). Also, the Psalms occasionally says things like "Praise the Lord, all you hosts of heaven". As Christians, most of us believe those who have died in Christ are in fact alive (in spirit) in heaven with Christ - Hebrews says we are "compassed about with so great a cloud of witnesses" and Luke says the angels rejoice when a sinner repents. So if we believe saints are alive and in heaven, and scripture tells us those in heaven can be aware of what we're doing, it's not really a stretch to see "praying" to saints in heaven much different than "praying" to saints still living on earth. I ask earthly saints to pray for me quite regularly, as I'm sure you do as well. If heavenly saints are aware of earthly events, is it really that different?

Then it is not a misconception to say that Roman Catholics pray to the dead.
    </font>[/QUOTE]No, but for many Baptists, the misconception is that prayer is worship.

It isn't literal, it is out of context and wrong.
    </font>[/QUOTE]We'll, it's definitely not out of context. Whether or not it is wrong is debateable, but the Catholics still hold the more literal view (as do the Orthodox, the early church fathers, all of Christianity prior to the reformation, and half of Protestants after the Reformation.)

It might have been me. [​IMG] Christ + ANYTHING to obtain salvation is a false gospel. Christ + whatever else the Bible says to reach Christian maturity.
    </font>[/QUOTE]Sorry, but you did not say anything about "Christian maturity". The context of your original quote was about how "one can get to heaven".

Fair enough. I am seeing more conflicts based on misconception than I am on actual doctrine though. Maybe that's just me. [​IMG]

4. NarrowWay

NarrowWay New Member

I suppose everyone has their own beliefs but I can't believe you would put Methodists and Presbyterians in the same position as Catholics with regard to salvation.