1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Poll: Tongues

Discussion in '2005 Archive' started by Gershom, May 24, 2005.

?
  1. Yes

77.2%
  2. No

22.8%
  3. Not sure

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. DHK

DHK <b>Moderator</b>

I explained that above.
    1. With a proper exegesis of 1Cor.13:8-13 we find that tongues ceased with the completion of the Bible.

2. According to 1Cor.14:21,22 tongues were a sign to the unbelieving Jew. It was a prophecy to those unbelieving Jews of the first century.

3. 1Cor.13:8 says "tongues shall cease." The answer is given in the above Scripture. By the end of the first century when the Bible was completed, and when the sign was no longer needed.

The statement that you are looking for dosn't have to be so straightforward as "Tongues absolutely ceased, no questions asked, in the year 98 A.D., thus saith the Lord!" Is this what you are looking for?

The Bible doesn't say that the disciples didn't use bicycles for transportation either. Yet through a combination of history and what the Word of God does say about transportation, we know that they didn't. It is quite evident isn't it? It is that easy with the issue of tongues as well. The Bible is very clear on this issue. What goes on in the name of tongues today is fraudulent. It is not the true Biblical gift of foreign languages. If it was, it would be demonstrable in each and every case, and women would cease to speak it immediately.
    DHK

2. Gershom

Gershom Active Member

Has knowledge passed away as well?

3. DHK

DHK <b>Moderator</b>

The knowledge spoken of in 1Cor.13:8 is not common knowledge. It is revelatory knowledge, special knowledge revealed by God during that time when the Bible was incomplete. It was God's revelation to man, just as the completed New Testament is for us today.
    DHK

4. Gershom

Gershom Active Member

So knowledge has passed away? Or do you mean the manner in which the knowledge came about has passed away? Because the Bible says "knowledge" will vanish away.

5. Gershom

Gershom Active Member

What happened then in Acts 10? Where were these unbelieving Jews?

There were believing Jews (Peter and those who accompanied him) and Gentiles present.

6. DHK

DHK <b>Moderator</b>

Each time I have used the word "knowledge" I have specified "revelatory knowledge." Are ye yet without understanding?

7. billwald

billwald New Member

I said "people I personally know." I don't personally know anyone on this list. Personal experience is not stereotyping.

8. DHK

DHK <b>Moderator</b>

What happened then in Acts 10? Where were these unbelieving Jews?

There were believing Jews (Peter and those who accompanied him) and Gentiles present.
    </font>[/QUOTE]The Jews in Acts 10, though believing (as in saved) still did not believe that the message of salvation was for the Gentiles. In this respect tongues was a sign for these Jews, that the message of salvation was not only for them, but also for the Gentiles. They were unbelieving--as was Peter. He had to be convinced by means of a vision--a vision of a sheet full of unclean animals with a command to "arise and eat." From henceforth the Gentiles would not be considered unclean, and the gospel would go to them as well. Tongues was a sign to the Jew who did not believe this.
    But this was only one aspect of it. The other, of course, was for the unbelieving Jew himself. In Acts 2, Peter was addressing the very Jews that crucified the Lord Jesus Christ. Tongues was a sign to those unbelieving Jews, the unbelieving Jews of the first century.
    DHK

9. atestring

atestring New Member

Gershom,
    Don't you know that dkh is infallable.
    If he says that is the way it is then we have to accept it.
    We have to believe everything he says to the letter with ever I dotted and every t crossed.
    he knows everything. he is the worlds expert on Pentecostals, and the worlds expert on the subject of tongues.
    How do you think he got to be a moderator. He is not just a moderator but the expert moderator.
    If you don't believe me then ask dkh yourself he will tell you that he is brilliant and knows everything.
    He can kick anyone off of this board because he is infallable.
    Don't forget to sing Hail to the cheif on his behalf before you sign off.

10. music4Him

music4Him New Member

In all fairness to DHK I do understand where he is comming from. I was after all raised in a Baptist home and in my dads latter years he became a Baptist Evangelist. But also in my family was my brother.... the Pentacostal preacher! :D
    There were arguments between my dad and brother that would make the Baptist board look mild......and you know what.... they were on tongues and being slain in the Spirit. I remember one occasion, when one of the "loud" disscussions were going on. While I was on my way to the fridge I just happened to pipe up "whats the problem if you serve the same God?" You know what....the argument stopped! Two grown men.... father and son, realized there was some common ground they could stand on. All because a 90 lb girl. Talk about your weak things confounding the mighty. [​IMG] A while later my dad, mom, and I visited my brother's church. Now although my dad had somewhat to say about a hour of preaching he still found something nice to say. After we moved and when my brother came down on the weekends he would visit dads church. I guess thats why I don't fit into one particular denominational mold?

11. Gershom

Gershom Active Member

Good for you. But that doesn't make it right. It says "knowledge," not "revelatory knowledge."

I know a little. Not everything, but I know some stuff. Nothing to get "puffed up" about.

12. Gershom

Gershom Active Member

Sounds good. I guess on the surface I could accept that explanation, but I am going to do a little more digging. I'm not simply going to take your interpretation as being correct or anyone else's on the matter.

13. Gershom

Gershom Active Member

Acts 19? What happened there? Paul (who certainly didn't need a sign) and twelve believers. The twelve spoke in tongues.

14. dean198

dean198 Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Gershom,
    it probably does refer to revelation knowledge (though it might not I suppose). See
    1 Cor. 1:4-6:

"I thank my God always on your behalf, for the grace of God which is given you by Jesus Christ;
    That in every thing ye are enriched by him, in all utterance, and in all knowledge"

HOWEVER, that doesn't help the case for cessationism, for two verses later Paul is clear that these gifts are to continue until the second coming. 1 Cor. 1:6-8:

"Even as the testimony of Christ was confirmed in you: So that ye come behind in no gift; waiting for the coming of our Lord Jesus Christ: Who shall also confirm you unto the end, that ye may be blameless in the day of our Lord Jesus Christ."

with this in mind we can better understand chapter 13.

15. dean198

dean198 Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    And what about Jesus? He said 'go into all the world and preach the gospel to every creature" and then he said "these signs shall follow them that believe ... they shall speak in new tongues" - yes, to all nations. Paul was using a quotation from the OT that tongues would be a sign to unbelieving Israel, and then drawing out from that that tongues are for unbelievers - that is, unbelievers in general, not just Jews.

16. Gershom

Gershom Active Member

Nevertheless, it doesn't say when tongues will cease. If there is a case for a time table to be made, it seems to me that it can only be made for prophecy and knowledge (1 Cor 13:9-10). [​IMG]

17. Gershom

Gershom Active Member

Who is the sign for in 1 Cor 14:28, seeing that the believer is instructed to speak to himself and to God when there is no interpreter?

18. billwald

billwald New Member

"Okay, what if I said: "The people I know who are Baptists may make a lot of money and drive nice cars"

As anecdotal story I have no problem with that statement. Whatstheirnames in "The Bell Curve" noted that Baptists were under represented and Episcopalians were over represented in corporate board rooms.

"Do you not realize that many, many people say THE SAME THING about YOU simply because you are a Christian???"

Couldn't care less. I've been insulted and misquoted by experts. &lt;G&gt;

19. DHK

DHK <b>Moderator</b>

20. DHK

DHK <b>Moderator</b>

And what about Jesus? He said 'go into all the world and preach the gospel to every creature" and then he said "these signs shall follow them that believe ... they shall speak in new tongues" - yes, to all nations. Paul was using a quotation from the OT that tongues would be a sign to unbelieving Israel, and then drawing out from that that tongues are for unbelievers - that is, unbelievers in general, not just Jews. </font>[/QUOTE]Those signs did follow the Apostles and were fulfilled in the first century. We have the foolishness of some snake-handling churches who take these verses literally and apply them to today, and every year some die of snake bites. If they were so literal for today then why don't any of you drink some HCL, and prove me wrong?
    These things did happen in the Book of Acts. Paul was bitten by a snake and survived it.

The Great Commission is reiterated in every gospel and in the Book of Acts. Certainly it is for today. We are commissioned preach the gospel to every creature in the world. But the signs are not for us. They were for the first century Christians, as were the spiritual gifts.
    DHK