1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

POLL: Which will help the economy more?

Discussion in 'Money Talk$' started by TomVols, Jan 26, 2008.

?
  1. The stimulus package with tax rebate

2 vote(s)
    14.3%
  2. The Fed's latest .75 rate cut

2 vote(s)
    14.3%
  3. Neither

7 vote(s)
    50.0%
  4. Both will help equally

3 vote(s)
    21.4%
  1. TomVols

TomVols New Member

Which do you believe will help stimulate the economy?

2. billreber

billreber New Member

I voted that both will help equally. The sad thing is that I think NEITHER will do any good!

Bill:tear:

3. KenH

KenH Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Neither. However, I am not going to turn down the $1,200. :)

4. ktn4eg

ktn4eg New Member

Won't it be nice to get back from the government some of our money that they forcibly took from us in the first place!! :thumbs:

Like Ken, I also voted neither, but actually I believe Bill had it right!

5. TomVols

TomVols New Member

I think the rate cut might help slightly more. Banks might loan a bit more. I don't think HELOC rates coming down will help. HELOC rates were low anyway. I don't know if people will take out more mortgages (if they fall as well since these aren't tied to the Prime rate typically). A reduction in credit card rates would help nominally since consumers tend to use so much plastic. People who save are still going to save. People who spend are still going to spend.

The tax rebate isn't a bad thing. It depends on what else is part of the stimulus package. (I just hate the notion that the govt thinks it has the power to stimulate the economy. Its role in stimulating the economy should be to get the heck out of the way). Thus, I think the best thing for the economy is marginal tax reduction and an elimination of the AMT, not necessarily in that order.

6. Andy T.

Andy T. Active Member

I think the rate cuts will help more in the short term, but the tax rebates will help more in the long term. The more money in the private sector and away from the government, the better. However, some people may not use their rebate to buy stuff, but rather to save or payoff debts. But that savings or debt payoff will reap benefits later.