1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

POLL - Would You Change Your Eating Habits if . . .

Discussion in 'Polls Forum' started by Magnetic Poles, Jul 4, 2008.

?
  1. NO - I don't care, and would not give up my favorite food

3 vote(s)
    12.5%
  2. YES - My body is the temple of the Lord, and I will do whatever it takes to protect it

16 vote(s)
    66.7%
  3. OTHER - Expound in post

5 vote(s)
    20.8%
  1. Magnetic Poles

Magnetic Poles New Member

If you knew that in 15 years you would require major heart surgery unless you changed your diet, would you give up your favorite foods for life?

2. donnA

donnA Active Member

If you knew this 15 yrs ahead of time, and changed your eating habits, then the yes on the poll still wouldn't necessarily be your answer. If you were serious about your body being the temple and protecting it, then you wouldn't be eating in such a way as to need that heart surgery in 15 yrs to begin with. Seem to change now knowing this, then you would be doing it to try and keep from having heart surgery, not because your body is God's temple.

3. Tom Bryant

Tom Bryant Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    I have had to change because of various issues such as possibliity of diabetes and higher than should be blood pressure.

My doctor is, however a realist, and told me to schedule a meal off the diet 2 or 3 times a month, but not to eat as much. He knows that sometimes I need some hot wings and fried chicken.

4. Joe

Joe New Member

Most people can't give up their favorite foods, even though they desire to.

We know ahead of time there will be consequences to pay for unhealthy eating.

It's an addiction like everything else (alcohol, sex, smoking, gambling, etc...)

5. Jon-Marc

Jon-Marc New Member

I've already sacrificed a lot of what I like to eat because of high blood pressure and diabetes. It wasn't by choice. If I had my way, I would practically live on junk food. I'm a junk food junkie. The most difficult thing I've ever had to do was give up foods with salt, sugar, and fat in them. That doesn't leave much that I can eat. I can't avoid those three entirely, but I do what I can.

#5 Jon-Marc, Jul 4, 2008
    Last edited by a moderator: Jul 4, 2008
  6. rbell

rbell Active Member

Let's always be careful, though, in automatically linking someone's heart difficulties with a poor lifestyle. Is that usually the culprit? Yep...but not always. Some folks drew the "bad genes" card. Jim Fixx comes to mind...the individual who started the "running revolution" in the 1970's. He died at 52 of a massive coronary. He was fit as a fiddle...but his family history was pretty rough.

Having said all that...yep, it's usually lifestyle choice.

I did give up some favorite foods years ago...and lost 70 pounds in the process. I knew that for me to keep it off, I had to permanenly stay away from them...or I'd be right back where I started.

But, of course, your mileage may vary.

#6 rbell, Jul 4, 2008
    Last edited: Jul 4, 2008
  7. GrapeApe

GrapeApe New Member

Why should you wait until you're threatened by heart surgery, or any other medical condition, to change your diet?

Does it really take THAT much for people to wake up to common sense and realize most of the things we're shoving down our gullet is toxic?

We should want to change our habits for the mere sake of being greater in health.

8. Deacon

Deacon Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    And who of you, by diet and exercise, can add a single hour to the time God has appointed for you?
    Matthew 5:25 Plump version

If God know the very number of heart beats I will have in my life, why use them up with exercise? :laugh:

Rob

9. Salty

Salty 20,000 Posts Club
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    So can I tell a cop its against my religion to wear a seatbelt, beacuse of Matt 5:25?:saint:

10. Palatka51

Palatka51 New Member

Maggy should have asked in his poll would you be willing to moderate your intake of your favorite foods and exercise 30 min a day to ward off heart decease. That is why I chose other.

11. Jon-Marc

Jon-Marc New Member

Yes, it does take bad health to wake up some of us. When we're young we don't think about what our poor eating habits are doing to our body. The average young person doesn't stop and think, "This food could cause me health problems in a few years. I'd better not eat it."

Also, a lot of my health problems are inherited; my parents lived on pills for everything. You name it, one or both of them had it. However, I've always suspected that my mother's main problem was hypochondria. No matter what it was she got a pill from the doctor for it. She had so many pills from from so many doctors that she was a walking medicine cabinet.

12. bobbyd

bobbyd New Member

We started First Place at our church last year and i've changed most of my eating habits without having to give up my favorites. I've just had to learn portion control and eating more of the good stuff. 30 pounds down so far and another 25 to go.

13. Brian30755

Brian30755 New Member

Back in February, I started having chest pains (I'm 43). I went to a cardiologist, who ran all the tests on me, and who thought he was going to have to put in a stent. Unfortunately, after doing the heart cath, they realized that a stent wouldn't do any good. Too many severe blockages.

So, I had open heart surgery (5 by-passes).

It hurt. A lot. In fact, my chest still hurts. The doctor said it would probably never feel "right" again. So, you'd better believe if I could go back 15 years ago and change my eating habits, I would!

14. donnA

donnA Active Member

It's best to take the warning from other like Brian, and start eating right now. I wonder how many other countries have problems like these? I think we are probably the worst eating country in the world.

15. mark brandwein

mark brandwein New Member

Last summer I was diagnoised with water on the heart. I have had two strokes since then and one heart attack. My Doctor told me that if I wanted to remain on this planet I needed to remain on a lifelong diet. I weighed in at 600 pds on July 15th 2007. I now weigh 400 pds at this present moment. I most definetly gave up a lot of my favorite foods including all caffeine products. The Doctors are saying that because I am losing the weight, my heart is doing much better. So my answer is Yes!!!:godisgood:

16. donnA

donnA Active Member

wow, you lost 200 lbs. in a yr. thats some diet. Man you need to come post in the diet thread in the women's forum and tell us about your journey. women's forum is not just for women, lots of men post there.

17. LeBuick

LeBuick New Member

Praise the Lord Brother for giving you the strength to endure. I don't believe loosing weight adds length to life but it adds quality to life.

I need to loose a good 100 pounds and it is really hard for me to stay away from the things I know I shouldn't have. I pray the Lord gives me your fortitude before I have a stroke or a life quality concern but with my current will power it doesn't seem to be happening.

18. GaryN

GaryN New Member

Sure you can!

But call me cuz I wanna be there when you do!:laugh:

19. donnA

donnA Active Member

SCB, you let me know if that works, lol.

20. donnA

donnA Active Member

I know a lot of people aged 65 to 95, none are very heavy. As a matter of fact, I've never seen an obese senior. Loosing weight does allow a longer life, because it gives better health, lowers blood pressure, lessens risk of stroke and heart attack, lowers cholesterol, lowers risk of diabettes, or diabettes complaications. And most of allows to heart to function properly and not have to over work constantly so it lives longer, and lessens the chance of heart disease.
    Loosing significant amounts of weight certainly does lengthen the life of the body.