1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Poll

Discussion in '2005 Archive' started by Biblicist, Feb 19, 2005.

1. Biblicist

Biblicist New Member

I take it that everyone here would call themselves fundamental baptists since this is the Fundamental Baptist Forum so I hope this is the right place for a poll.

I'm just interested in knowing how each person defines the following:

What do you mean by "Baptist"?

What do you mean by "Fundamental"?

Also, would you call yourself:

5-Point Calvinist
    Other Calvinist
    Arminian
    Neither

Also, are you a:
    pastor
    layperson

Just curious

2. Refreshed

Refreshed Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I don't have much time, but I'll be one of the first to jump in!

Baptist: Baptistic in Doctrine, not denomination. Synonymous with Biblical. Historically speaking, I believe the Baptist doctrine is the one of the New Testament Church.

Fundamental: Adhering to Biblical doctrine, literal interpretation of scripture, willing to seperate from apostasy.

It's a shot, anyway.

Neither.

Training to be a Pastor through my local church.

Jason :D

3. omalley

omalley New Member

This sounds like fun, I'll give it a shot.

Baptist: baptistic in church government, doctrine, and denominational affiliation.

Fundamental: Adhering to the 'fundamentals' of the faith, although I believe the term fundamental carries much baggage with it nowadays (sometimes kjvo, sometimes viciously separatistic, sometimes too exclusivist in eschatology)

Soteriology: 5 point calvinist. (can't wait to get beat up over that one)

Church function: layman

Look forward to hearing from others...

4. 4His_glory

4His_glory New Member

Baptist: Baptistic in doctrine and church polity

Fundamental: Standing for the essetianls of orthodoxy as defined by the early "fundamentalists"

Other Calvinist- at least by some peoples defenition.

Missionary

5. IfbReformer

IfbReformer New Member

Baptist - Baptistic in Church structure and practice -

Structure-(Pastor and Deacons only offices, congregational voting structure - (Pastor is Shephard,overseer and guide but not dictator and legislator) churches should be independent, no outside governing or influencing authority

Practice - believers baptism by immersion can be performed by any other believing Christian.

Fundamental - Preach and defend the fundamentals of the faith such as the deity of Christ, inerrancy of the scriptures, the Bible as true history, reality of miracles, ect... will not allow anyone in pulpit who does not preach and defend fundamentals. Careful to distinguish between opinions on debatable issues(movies,music and dress, Bible versions...) and fundamentals of the faith.

Soverign Grace

layperson

IFBReformer

6. Dr. Bob

Dr. Bob Administrator
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    What do you mean by "Baptist"?
    Holding the baptist distinctives

What do you mean by "Fundamental"?
    Holding the historic fundamentals of the faith

5-Point Calvinist?
    5-point Biblicist. If I wasn't, I'd be ashamed

pastor/layperson?
    Pastor since 1970. March 6th is my 32nd anniversary of my ordination

7. go2church

go2church Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Baptist = faith and practice

Fundamental = I don't generally use the term in a positive sense, extra-biblical type stuff. Though clearly there are foundational truths that must be held in order to be accurately defined as a Christian.

Mostly Arminian

Pastor

8. Christlifter

Christlifter New Member

:p

I just started attending Ind. Fund Bapt. churches about 5 years ago, after I got saved (regenerated) after being a demonized, full-blown "gifts" prophetic charasmatic, so there has been a lot of things for me to work out, and I'll try to be as clear as possible.

(Independent Fundamental) Baptist- So far have been the most Biblically acurate group I know other than Brethern (about the same thing), Free Methodists, Fundamental Presbyterians, some Bible and non-denoms (depending on the leadership), a Southern Baptist here and there (Charles Stanley, I like him) and whoever else I missed that isn't whacked out, compromised or apostasised, Bible versions excluded.

-How come Jack Chick won't write tracks against the Pentecostal/Charasmatic/Power Evangelism Hersies?-

Anyway,

Fundamental- When rightly divvied, The Bible stands in the lense that these groups believe, esp. Baptist being the closest to the original New Testament faith and practice. This word is too broad to define for me, but I will formulate

Fundamental= Bible is God's Word (purity varies from translation)and is Innerant-Infallible-Inspired, The Trinity, The Lord Jesus Christ is God/Creator/Redeemer/"I Am", YAHWEH and all that pertains to Him (Virgin Birth + Gospel = Death, burial resurrection) for all,(esp. ME) benefits obtained by personal faith in Him brought on by Repentance, granted from Him to be and do all that God (through Paul) outlined in Romans and the Epistles he wrote (The Holy Spirit Literally living in your body -heart, concience, mind-, just like demons can do if your not saved) creating Christ in you the hope of Glory....And if your saved AND you know it then (in weak or strong changes, in the 6 various areas listed in I John) your life WILL SURELY show it.

I hope thats enough, Oh and your not sinless, but you sin less, and you can't lose your salavtion becaused you didn't save you if you are saved. :thumbs: Amen!

I agree and disagree with Calvin and Arminius about equally, so I am a neither.

I need to be nobody to be somebody in Him.
    I am one of the "washed" masses, not yet chosen for "full-time" service _I don't like the word "layperson" It sounds dumb.

I love you all!

Because He first loved me,

Bro. Brandon

9. Baptistpreacher

Baptistpreacher New Member

Baptist comes from following the example of Jesus when he was Baptized by John the Baptist and other N.T. examples of going down into the water ( Matt. 3:3-17 & Acts 8:34-40)

Fundamental Mean's we belive in the fundamental's of the faith salvation by grace, virgine birth,the deity of Jesus and the fundamental doctrin's of the Bible

10. Ben W

Ben W Active Member
    Site Supporter

I would be SDB & Affirm the Baptist Distinctives, I would also be more happier to wear the label arminian, because I believe that salvation is for all, not people that are specially chosen for it.

What is Fundamental? One who believes that the Bible is Gods word and to be accepted as truth and applied in our lives. and specifically stating that Jesus Christ is the only way for Salvation.