1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

polygamy or divorce?

Discussion in '2003 Archive' started by Gary Simms, Dec 21, 2002.

1. Gary Simms

Gary Simms Guest

2. Ben W

Ben W Active Member
    Site Supporter

Sorry Mate, I didnt vote, I am not sure what you are driving at.

Yes Deacons are allowed only one wife, as is any Christian, 1Cor 7:2 "Nevertheless, because of sexual immoralitylet each man have his own wife and each woman her own husband". So the Biblical model is a one wife model.

The Israeli Government are paying for Jews in all nations to return to Israel. In very few instances some Jews, due to culture related reasons have more than one wife. They are still accepted, but Jews are not permitted more than one wife in Israel. Prior to conversion is an exception to the rule.

The same in the Christian church. No christian can go out and marry multiple wives. A person who has multiple wives and gets saved has a responsability to his family and must care for each of them.

3. Keith M

Keith M New Member

Gary, I also didn't vote. The question is not that simple - not that "black and white." Many feel that, in regard to what the Bible, especially the NT, has to say about divorce, that a person is considered married as long as the spouse is still alive. In this view, a person who is divorced and remarried would still be a bigamist despite having a divorce decree.

4. Pastor Larry

Pastor Larry <b>Moderator</b>
    Site Supporter

How about neither?? I believe it is talking about the character of the man in question ... a one woman type of man. One characterized by fiathfulness and integrity rather than looseness and flirtation.

As for Keith's comments regarding marriage continuing after divorce, Deut 24 indicates that such was not the case since a remarriage could not be contracted to the original spouse. A divorce ends a marriage, whether rightly or wrongly.

5. jonathanbensaul

jonathanbensaul New Member

Jesus clearly stated in Luke that remarriage while the divorced spouse is alive is, in fact, adultery.

Using this standard, one must reject such practicing adulterers as Ronald Reagan and Betty Ford. :eek:

6. Pastor Larry

Pastor Larry <b>Moderator</b>
    Site Supporter

Really?? That would be news to the vast majority of people who read the NT. In Matthew, he clearly gives an exception for those whose spouse commits adultery and in 1 Cor he clearly gives an exception for those who have been deserted.

7. Dr. Bob

Dr. Bob Administrator
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Not so, my friend. Jesus gave an exception. Carry it through to all clauses in the sentence and you will see what is meant.

But I tell you that anyone who divorces his wife [except for divorcing her for her marital unfaithfulness]

causes her to become an adulteress [except for divorcing her for her marital unfaithfulness]

and anyone who marries the divorced woman commits adultery [except for divorcing her for her marital unfaithfulness]

That "exception clause" applies to every part of the verse, not just one clause. That just good English grammar!

BTW, I did vote and it is truly a black-and-white issue. Either you believe it is dealing with one woman at a time or one woman period. Pretty cut-and-dried to me!

8. jonathanbensaul

jonathanbensaul New Member

And if the divorce is for grounds other than unfaithfulness, what then??

Did Charles Stanley cheat on his wife? or her on him? Doubtful.
    I KNOW Dottie and Buck Rambo divorced for reasons other than adultery. (I know him and Reba and Donnie personally)

You stated "[except for divorcing her for her marital unfaithfulness]"
    Ummm what version is that?

True, some synoptics give an excuse, but Luke does not. Do we use the synoptic we like and ignore what we don't?

[ January 08, 2003, 06:03 PM: Message edited by: jonathanbensaul ]

9. Paul of Eugene

Paul of Eugene New Member

I think we can easily step into confusion here in addition to disagreement here. Can't help the disagreement, but we should become less confused. Most of the time we do not deal with someone who is deciding to divorce or not, and that would be the time to discuss with them the scriptural grounds for divorce. More likely, we are faced with someone who has divorced. And perhaps has remarried. We might look back and decide that was a sin the way they did it, but we cannot unmarry them! The question is, then, does that particular sin disqualify a candidate for pastor or deacon? In my mind, ANY unrepentant sin could be disqualifying, but what is "unrepentant" in this context? Certainly not another divorce! Another wrong does not make things right.

If a person currently has an appropriate attitude towards family and marriage, and currently has only one wife, I don't view this scripture as referring to past marriages. To interpret it that way is adding to scripture what is not there.

10. Pastor_Bob

Pastor_Bob Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    I am moving this thread to the Theology Forum as it has nothing to do with the translation issue and everything to do with the interpretation issue.