1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Featured Poofy hair is a distraction?

Discussion in 'News & Current Events' started by sag38, Nov 26, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. sag38

sag38 Active Member

2. thisnumbersdisconnected

I don't know if she styles it to get it that way or not, but it looks like a mess to me. Still, if she wants to go to school like that, so what?

3. Salty

Salty 20,000 Posts Club
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    For what ever reason, the school has a standard. Attending a private school is a privledge.

I support the school.

4. sag38

sag38 Active Member

Yes, they are a private school but that doesn't excuse the fact that they most likely are being Christian jerks.

5. annsni

annsni Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Her hair is natural and isn't a distraction. Maybe in a white person's world it is but not in black. Seriously - that's their hair if it grows long and is not braided or treated in some other way. I think they are making a mountain out of hair.

6. Gina B

Gina B Active Member

That's so weird. Kids start teasing another kid over her hair, and suddenly they want the teased kid to change how she was created and do something to make it look different than it is?

Are you sure this isn't a made up story by people trying to make Christians out to be terrible, clueless people? This really happened?

Were they some weird branch? In some weird little town in the middle of nowhere?

7. Sapper Woody

Sapper Woody Well-Known Member

I agree that they are taking it too far. But as a counter argument, what if a white student let their hair grow "natural"? There would be a problem there, too. Imagine a white girl with unkempt long hair. They'd surely say something to her. So I am all for something being said, but I believe they handled it wrongly.

8. Salty

Salty 20,000 Posts Club
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Who determines what a "Christian Jerk" is? I'm sure I could come to your church and find something that you would speak against - of which I would consider your church as a "Christian Jerk".

9. saturneptune

saturneptune New Member

No, the outrageous tuition supports the school.

10. saturneptune

saturneptune New Member

How to paint a picture of a Christian jerk? How about the church crowd at restaurants at noon on Sunday?

11. saturneptune

saturneptune New Member

The way to solve this problem is for parents to withdraw their kids and the tuition they pay. The school would change its attitude real quick. It is all about the money.

12. thisnumbersdisconnected

I'm sorry, but whether it's cultural or not -- and I don't believe it is, because very few run around with their hair looking as wild and out of control as this girl does -- it's a distraction, and she should do something with it, at least style it. How does anyone sitting behind her see around her hair? To me, that's distraction enough for her to be reprimanded. She can have all the free expression she wants, outside the classroom. Inside the school, tame the hair!

13. annsni

annsni Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

It's actually not wild and out of control in the black community. I don't know how many black friends you have but many of mine will also wear their hair large like this.

14. annsni

annsni Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

What if it were a young white girl with hair below her bottom? That's letting it grow "natural" and I'm sure it wouldn't be a problem at all for the school.

15. Amy.G

Amy.G New Member

Why do people care how her hair looks????

Get a life people!

16. thisnumbersdisconnected

I have a lot of black friends. My college roommate lives in Daytona Beach, and I sent him a link to the picture. His exact words: "She needs to get that mess under control."

17. InTheLight

InTheLight Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    What a difference a day makes in one's opinion...

Anyway, she ought to be allowed to attend school with the hair the way it is. The school manual fails to define why her hair is a "distraction". As per the rulebook it's not a mohawk, rat tail, shaved into shapes or sculpted.

18. annsni

annsni Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

This is the girl's hair:

[​IMG]

I don't see any "mess" there. She even has a flower in it!

19. thisnumbersdisconnected

Look at the video, particularly 56 seconds into the piece when she is playing the violin. I'm sorry, Ann, but my old roommate and I agree, that's a mess! She's got a flower in for that segment of video, too, and he still thought something could be done about it for school. He has three daughters, by the way, all grown now.

20. annsni

annsni Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

You mean this picture?

[​IMG]

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.