1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

"Poor in Spirit"

Discussion in 'General Baptist Discussions' started by Spinach, Mar 2, 2010.

1. Spinach

Spinach New Member

"Blessed are the poor in spirit..."

What does it mean to you to be "poor in spirit"? I'd love to hear your thoughts.

2. abcgrad94

abcgrad94 Active Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    I always thought the "poor in spirit" were the feeble minded folks, like the ones with Downs Syndrome or those who just aren't whole mentally. I think God has a special tenderness for them.

3. Amy.G

Amy.G New Member

To be poor in spirit means to realize that you are a sinner and in need of the righteousness of God. It means to humble yourself before God.

4. Michaelt

Michaelt Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I think Christ was speaking of those who realize that they are spiritually bankrupt and cannot for themselves amass spiritual riches without help, the help that Christ provides for those who come to him.

5. Michaelt

Michaelt Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Yes, that's it!!

6. Crucified in Christ

Crucified in Christ New Member

Those that realize their spiritual poverty...those that realize that they are a sinner and that the wages of sin is death. The only way that we can turn and walk upon the narrow road that the leads to Life, is that we first realize, through the Spirit, that we are on the wide road that leads straight to Hell. Only once we can see our true state, can we see our own need for a Savior.

7. preachinjesus

preachinjesus Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Humble, I would suggest it is humility :)

8. donnA

donnA Active Member

Thsi si what I've always hear dit meant, heard it preached by multiple preachers.

9. Scarlett O.

Scarlett O. Moderator

Faith:
    Baptist
    I noticed something the last time that I taught the Beatitudes. I had never seen it before and perhaps I am as goofy as a barrel of monkeys but here is what I noticed.

I noticed a progression of the spiritual walk there.

Blessed are the poor in spirit (Someone who understands that they are a sinner)

Blessed are they who mourn (Someone who is grieved that they are a sinner)

Blessed are the meek (Someone who understands what has to be done about it - to become like Jesus)

Blessed are they who hunger and thirst for righteousness. (Someone who goes beyond understanding into a burden to change and who changes.)

Blessed are the merciful. (Someone who has a heart for others to change.)

Blessed are the pure of heart. (Someone who now walks the walk.)

Blessed are the peacemakers (Someone who is bent on others walking the walk and does so in imitation of Christ.)

Blessed are they who suffer persecution for justice sake. (Someone who is willing to lay down all that he or she has for the sake of Christ.)

I am either presuming too much or reading too much into these blessings. Anyway, that's what knocked on my head the last time that I taught them in Sunday School.

If I'm wrong, I'm wrong. :tonofbricks:

10. sag38

sag38 Active Member

Scarlett, you get an "A." Being poor in spirit refers to being spiritually bankrupt. One has nothing whatsoever to offer God. His or her righteousness is as filthy rags. What righteousness he or she may have is of no consequence. Say I owe a billion dollars and yet can only come up with $10.00. My $10.00 doesn't even come close to paying off the debt that I owe. In fact, to even offer that $10.00 would be an insult to my creditor. All I can do is admit my bankruptcy and plead for mercy from the creditor. And, for the poor in spirit all one can do is cry out for mercy for the debt owed can never be repaid.

11. Marcia

Marcia Active Member

We once went over the Beatitudes in-depth and the teacher, who was excellent, showed these all come from the OT - each and every one relates to a passage in the OT. It was very interesting and edifying.

12. dcorbett

dcorbett Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I agree with this - having heard it expressed this way in an expository sermon by one of the best a few years back. It made all kinds of sense!!

13. SolaSaint

SolaSaint Well-Known Member

I too have heard the beatitudes preached in progression like Scarlett has mentioned. Seems Jesus was teaching us about the heart condition of a man throughout the whole Sermon on the Mount and not outward appearances.

14. Spinach

Spinach New Member

I love words. These words are really something when I meditate on them. Here are a few things I thought of when pondering the words:

As mentioned, poor and unworthy, needing a savior.

Sympathetic to the plight of the poor.

Sad/downtrodden.

Humble.

I really like Scarlett's definition, but I also like the thought of being sympathetic to the plight of the poor.

15. Marcia

Marcia Active Member

It's also been said that the Beatitudes are what will exist in God's kingdom one day. So those who are now poor in spirit, the meek, the merciful, the pure in heart, etc. will have the 2nd part of the statement, which is just as important as the first part.

3"Blessed are the poor in spirit, for theirs is the kingdom of heaven. 4"Blessed are those who mourn, for they shall be comforted.
    5"Blessed are the gentle, for they shall inherit the earth.
    6"Blessed are those who hunger and thirst for righteousness, for they shall be satisfied.
    7"Blessed are the merciful, for they shall receive mercy.
    8"Blessed are the pure in heart, for they shall see God.
    9"Blessed are the peacemakers, for they shall be called sons of God.
    10"Blessed are those who have been persecuted for the sake of righteousness, for theirs is the kingdom of heaven.

16. Dr. Bob

Dr. Bob Administrator
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    The Beatitudes are for TODAY (not some future kingdom, but the kingdom that is here today). Try to plug the "persecuted" etc into a millennium and you see how it contradicts the Word.

HERE IS A SUMMARY (just finished at Christmas preaching thru them)

In my poverty of spirit seeing my own need for mercy (Blessed are the Poor in Spirit) I will show mercy to others (Blessed are the Merciful)

In my mourning over sin (Blessed are those who Mourn) I will seek a pure heart (Blessed are the Holy)

In my meekness before God (Blessed are the Meek) I will always seek to make peace (Blessed are the Peace-makers)

In my hungering and thirsting for righteousness (Blessed are those who Hunger and Thirst) I am not unwilling to pay the price of being persecuted for that righteousness (Blessed are the Persecuted).

#1 goes with #5
    #2 with #6
    #3 with #7
    #4 with #8
    ~~
    The first "blessing" is poverty of spirit and genuine humility, seeing the tremendous collateral blessing we will have in the Kingdom.
    a. NO Assets
    1) Luke simply says in his brief account “blessed are the poor” and many think this just is physical.
    2) We might say that the ancient Greek had a word for the “working poor” and a word for the “truly poor.” Jesus used the word for the truly poor here.
    3) It indicates someone who must beg for whatever they have or get.
    4) Greek penicros (we get “penny” from this) was for those who were poor and had little.
    5) But ptwcos is from root to shrink, back away, cower or cringe like a beggar in an alley
    6) Illustration: Lazarus (Luke 16:20) the beggar

b. NO Spiritual Assets
    1) They know they are spiritually bankrupt.
    2) Without hope
    3) No salvation apart from God reaching my soul
    4) Illustration: Illumination and regeneration of the holy Spirit, as it is not PHYSICAL poverty, but of anything that is “spiritual” within me

“Not what I have, but what I have not, is the first point of contact, between my soul and God.

Poverty of spirit cannot be artificially induced by self-hatred; it takes the Holy Spirit and our response to His working in our hearts bring it about