1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Poor Mr. Fleming

Discussion in 'Political Debate & Discussion' started by Magnetic Poles, Sep 20, 2011.

1. Magnetic Poles

Magnetic Poles New Member

Your 1st point is not the issue. It is his whining about feeding his family while raking in far more than most in this country as an excuse to attack the proposal for the wealthiest to pay a fair share like the rest of us.

To your second comment, of course all federal employees are deserving of a paycheck for the work they do. Again it is his disingenuous comments as a highly-compensated public servant that are the problem. Obama is not the one making such an issue about not having enough to care for his family. If Mr. Fleming needs to make more money, resign and go get a job that pays more.

2. targus

targus New Member

Lets skip past your silly games.

Answer one question.

What is the "fair share" that the wealthy are supposed to pay?

Specifics please - not platitudes.

What percentage of income should a particular income bracket be paying - then show me how that particular percentage is "fair".

3. Magnetic Poles

Magnetic Poles New Member

The answer is quite simple. Tax the wealthiest, at minimum, at the same rate as a person making $100k, and do it on ALL income, not just wages. Demonstrate to me how that would not be fair. Under Reagan, the tax on this group was far higher and the economy was in much better shape. How is it an equitable situation for the middle class to subsidize the rich? I am not saying overtax them...just pay what the rest of us do.

Sorry you think answering you is a silly game. If you don't like the answers, don't ask the questions.

4. Crabtownboy

Crabtownboy Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Many seem to forget that Reagan raised taxes 11 times and the national debt limit 18 times. All this is easy to find on the Net. Gotta run, y'all do your own research .... going to my high school class reunion .... see y'all in a few days.

5. InTheLight

InTheLight Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    No comments from our left of center people? I see it validates something in another thread. I'll copy and paste one of the points from "Signs You Might be a Liberal":

You get infuriated when you hear about the CEO of a Fortune 500 company making tens of millions of dollars, but don't see a problem with an actor, basketball player, or trial lawyer making the same amount.

(Disclaimer: "Signs You Might be a Liberal" was compiled from emails, public domain, websites, and my own observations.)

6. targus

targus New Member

Under your scheme someone making $100,001 would be charged the same tax rate as someone making $1,000,000? Haven't you been saying that the "rich" need to pay their fair share?

Why is your cut off $100,000?

Is it fair for someone making $99,999 to pay less than someone making $100,001?

7. InTheLight

InTheLight Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I think Magnetic Poles is saying there should be a flat tax. The same percentage paid on everyone's income. Example: 15% tax on income, 15% tax on capital gains, 15% tax on estate taxes, 15% tax on interest income, etc.

But perhaps MP should answer.

8. billwald

billwald New Member

TARGUS doesn't understand the concept of "marginal tax rate?" For most people the concept is a given. Maybe he has never seen the 1040 instruction booklet. Maybe the the IRS should publish a KJV with the 1040 tax tables as an appendix. Then Targus might understand.

9. carpro

carpro Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Doesn't matter who it is. If they're financially successful, liberals want to steal their wealth.

10. targus

targus New Member

Your "maybes" are wrong on every count. :smilewinkgrin:

I was addressing his answer.

How about you?

What is the "fair share" tax formula in your opinion and why?

Please be specific - no platitudes.

11. billwald

billwald New Member

Since you asked, my tax program is:

1. An import duty on all consumer goods and partial assemblies
    of consumer goods.

2. Taxing personal capital gains the same as personal income from wages and fees.

3. A 100% death tax on all estate assets over $100 million.

4. An income tax table with the marginal tax rate based on multiples of the federal minimum wage. No joint filing. No exemptions. (Maybe a top rate of 50% marginal tax rate at 100 times minimum wage and over, now around 1.4 million?)

5. No federal income tax on incomes less than twice the minimum wage. (This would more than offset the effect of no joint filing and no exemptions. Two wage earners in one family - now the norm - could have 4 times minimum wage to live on.)

OR

An electronic transfer tax to be determined and no personal income tax plus the death tax and import tax as noted above.