1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Poor vs. oppressed

Discussion in 'General Baptist Discussions' started by SaggyWoman, Sep 15, 2008.

1. SaggyWoman

SaggyWoman Active Member

When I was coming home from church today, I heard a preacher (I don't know who it was) who was quoting another preacher (Tony Evans), who stated that we should help the poor, but there are two kinds of poor. One poor that we should help are the oppressed poor. There is another poor, the "lazy", who are poor because they won't work.

Also in the quote, it was said that we are first to help our families and make sure they are taken care of. After that, we are to help those in our congregation, to make sure they are taken care of. After that, we are to help the oppressed poor.

Your thoughts?

2. LeBuick

LeBuick New Member

I would have to hear his argument but I don't recall the Bible separating classes of poor. How do you know when one is just lazy?

I believe differently, I believe in helping others first trusting God to supply my needs. I give in His name and for His name sake. I try to use these verses as my guide...

Lk 6:38 Give, and it shall be given unto you; good measure, pressed down, and shaken together, and running over, shall men give into your bosom. For with the same measure that ye mete withal it shall be measured to you again.

1Co 13:3 And though I bestow all my goods to feed the poor, and though I give my body to be burned, and have not charity, it profiteth me nothing.

Mt 25:44 Then shall they also answer him, saying, Lord, when saw we thee an hungred, or athirst, or a stranger, or naked, or sick, or in prison, and did not minister unto thee?
    45 Then shall he answer them, saying, Verily I say unto you, Inasmuch as ye did it not to one of the least of these, ye did it not to me.

#2 LeBuick, Sep 15, 2008
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 15, 2008
  3. Allan

Allan Active Member

There is no distinction in economic class of poor, but the there is a distinction in the social standing of the poor.

I agree with this and is the biblical model we are to follow.

Our physical family is priority (by extention our biological one as well - such as widows we are to care for so a no to burden the church) because the one that does not care for their needs is to be considered like an infidel - non-believer.
    Then the church as seen in Acts 2 and many other places where they ministered to each others needs first as priority over the world. They will know we are His because of our love for the brethren. We are to give all we are (this includes what we have) for the sake of the brethren/church (1 John 3:16)

And then to needs of the world. For what love is there that does not first take care of and provide for those of it's family first. To do so proves there is no real love when one cares for others and neglects his own.

We are not do one and leave the others undone however, but there is a priority in which we give according to needs.

I'm refering to a situation where immediate action is necessary or in an incident were you are there to do good at that moment and it is within their power. But that if we are to do good it must first be to our family (which includes those of the church) and then to world. Thus we need to be as close to our church family to know their needs as we do the worlds.

#3 Allan, Sep 15, 2008
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 15, 2008
  4. Crabtownboy

Crabtownboy Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    This is a very Confucian idea ... everything in its order. First you take care of your family, second your clan, third your village. Ideally it would be taken to the next level it would be the stranger and the poor. In practice my experience in China led me to believe that the vast majority live this way?

My family first
    My clan second
    My village third
    The stranger is fair game.

Just a comment brought to mind by your statement which for the most part I agree with.

5. Allan

Allan Active Member

It goes far beyond area of and 'much' further back historically than confucianism.