1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Pope Benedict meets German Muslim leaders

Discussion in 'Other Christian Denominations' started by Ben W, Aug 20, 2005.

1. Charles Meadows

Charles Meadows New Member

And you know he is a christian how?

I was raised in the RCC - I well aware of the shortcomings of that denomination - or else I'd still be there.

But catholics affirm the Jesus was God, was born of a virgin, died for sins, and will return. In my reading of the Bible it seems that that's what one needs to be saved. I'll not defend the wrong doctrines of the RCC on Mary and the papacy - but that does not mean a catholic cannot be saved - that is unless you don't believe that faith can save.

2. webdog

webdog Active Member
    Site Supporter

Charles, I don't know if you post was intended for me, but I do agree faith is what saves and I never insinuated otherwise. ANY catholic can be saved, but my problem was with the fact the pope was obviously a christian just because he is the leader of the world's largest church.

3. webdog

webdog Active Member
    Site Supporter

As an "outsider" then of the RCC I would have assumed instead of christian they would be "Mary-ian", a follower of Mary more so than Christ.

4. mioque

mioque New Member

Webdog
    That is a nice conceit towards your personal opinion about the RCC, but both the world and the Bible aren't going to back you up on this.

5. D28guy

D28guy New Member

mioque...

Can you share where in the scriptures we are told that "If one believes in the Apostles Creed they are saved"?

The scriptures say things like...

"He who has the Son has the life. He who does not have the Son does not have the life"

"And we know that the Son of God has come and given us an understanding, that we may know Him who is true, and we are in Him who is true, in His Son Jesus Christ. This is the true God and eternal life."

"For it is by grace that you are saved, through faith. And that not of yourself, it is the gift of God. Not of works, lest anyone should boast."

"It is no longer I that live, but Christ that lives in me. And the life that I now live in the flesh I live by faith in the Son of God."

"I will deliver you from the Jewish people, to whom I now send you, to open their eyes, in order to turn them from darkness to light, from the power of Satan to God, that they might recieve the forgiviness of sins and an inheritance among those who are sanctified by faith in me."

"That wich is born of the flesh is flesh. That which is born of the Spirit is Spirit. Do not marvel that I say to you 'You must be born again'."

Its been years since I last read that "apostles creed" thing, but I remember theres nothing "wrong" with it per se.

The problem is that I have heard people say many times that they once thought they were saved because they stood up and recited that thing every week in church, and believed that those facts were true. But by their own testimony they were never saved back then because they didnt know Jesus Christ personaly, and had never been born of the Spirit, and were trusting in their *goodness* rather than trust Christ alone for their salvation.

God bless,

Mike

6. mioque

mioque New Member

Mike
    You don't need to be Saved to be called a christian.

7. D28guy

D28guy New Member

mioque,

webdog said...

Actually, what webdog said was not in the least bit unreasonable.

I was born and raised Roman Catholic and I personally remember many many people who almost never spoke the name of, or seemed to have no concern for, the scriptures or the person of Jesus Christ.

Yet these people were obsessed with the sinner Mary.

Catholics have Shrines all over the world where millions of Catholic Maryolaters go in their obsessive worship of her. There is a large Catholic organisation called "Slaves of the Immaculate Heart of Mary". In the idolatrous Hail Mary prayer repitition their are 150 prayers sent up to the sinner Mary, while there is just a small handful to God.

In the Catholic World this counterfiet Mary is refered to as the "Queen of the Universe", and she can grant visitations, give apperitions, perform miracles, grant peace, comfort the afflicted, gain Catholics favor with God, etc etc etc.

The Catholic Church routinely has...world wide...ceremonies where a golden crowned little statue of Mary is "high and lifted up" as this supernatural being "Mary, Queen of the Universe" is paraded through the streets while thousands of Maryolaters are in rapturous exctacy while the carved image is paraded for all to see.

It is incredibly sad. It makes the scene with the golden calf that Moses came down to find look like nothing in comparison.

Sadly,

Mike

8. mioque

mioque New Member

Mike
    The expression "Mary-ian" isn't featured in the Bible and practically nobody is going to recognize it as a synonim for Roman Catholic.

9. webdog

webdog Active Member
    Site Supporter

mioque, hence the reason I said FROM THE OUTSIDE I would have assumed they were followers of Mary.

I am married to an x-catholic. The emphasis of the religion seems to be Mary the "mother of god", not the "Son of God".

10. mioque

mioque New Member

Webdog
    The fact stands that the rest of the world doesn't agree with you. Making your invented term rather pointless.
    They've gone for Catholic as the descriptive term if they want to single out Roman Catholics from other Christians.
    The fact that you are both wrong, is a seperate issue.

11. mioque

mioque New Member

Yesterday in Cologne 1 million folks showed up to participate in an openair churchservice led by the pope, 200.000 more than were expected beforehand.
    If Jack Hyles were still alife, he would look green with envy.