1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Pope to meet Hans Kung

Discussion in '2005 Archive' started by Matt Black, Sep 27, 2005.

1. Matt Black

Matt Black Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

STORY HERE

I'm absolutely stunned by this meeting . I still don't think that Kung will be able teach Catholic theology again (he shouldn't in my view), but it goes to show that this is a Pope of surprises.

For those who don't know the background and who can't be bothered to trawl through the rather long link, once upon a time, there was a Catholic theologian named Hans Kung. A man of impeccable credentials, member of the staff of Vatican II, and highly regarded.

Then he wrote against papal infallibility.

Big, bad Cardinal Ratzinger disciplined Hans Kung by denying him a license as a Catholic theologian.

Now, kind, gentle Pope Benedict the XVI is talking to Hans Kung. This may or may not mean something very interesting.

Hope that's helpful.

Looks to me like a self-defining gesture on Benedict's part. It's saying "When I was Cardinal Rottweiler, I was acting for the Congregation of the Doctrine of the Faith. As universal pastor I am everybody's father and friend."