1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Pope to meet Hans Kung

Discussion in '2005 Archive' started by Matt Black, Sep 27, 2005.

1. Matt Black

Matt Black Active Member
    Site Supporter

STORY HERE

I'm absolutely stunned by this meeting . I still don't think that Kung will be able teach Catholic theology again (he shouldn't in my view), but it goes to show that this is a Pope of surprises.

For those who don't know the background and who can't be bothered to trawl through the rather long link, once upon a time, there was a Catholic theologian named Hans Kung. A man of impeccable credentials, member of the staff of Vatican II, and highly regarded.

Then he wrote against papal infallibility.

Big, bad Cardinal Ratzinger disciplined Hans Kung by denying him a license as a Catholic theologian.

Now, kind, gentle Pope Benedict the XVI is talking to Hans Kung. This may or may not mean something very interesting.

Hope that's helpful.

Looks to me like a self-defining gesture on Benedict's part. It's saying "When I was Cardinal Rottweiler, I was acting for the Congregation of the Doctrine of the Faith. As universal pastor I am everybody's father and friend."