1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Portland's Mayor Backs Lawbreakers

Discussion in 'Political Debate & Discussion' started by carpro, Jun 13, 2007.

1. carpro

carpro Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    http://www.koin.com/Global/story.asp?S=6649875

PORTLAND - Immigrations and Customs Enforcement officials arrested 165 people Tuesday after raiding three locations looking for undocumented workers.

SNIP

He released this statement: "I am angered by this morning's arrest by federal officers of approximately 150 Portland residents who were working at a local produce company. I certainly understand why federal officials executed criminal warrants against three individuals who stole and sold Social Security numbers. But to go after local workers who are here to support their families while filling the demands of local businesses for their labor is bad policy."

2. exscentric

exscentric Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    You're surprised? This is the state where we have doctor assisted suicide - what would you expect form the liberals of the northwest? :laugh:

His office has been inundated with cranky phone calls from what the news says.

They arrested many, but the news reports that anyone that told them they were a single parent were let go so there wouldn't be hardship on the child.

3. Rufus_1611

Rufus_1611 New Member

He would've been better off saying that the law was bad, to say the policy of enforcing the law is bad, is madness. If he desires lawlessness, then perhaps he is unqualified for his role.

4. exscentric

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    This is also the mayor that rode in an illegal bike demonstration so that he could identify with the "people" and these same bike riders just yesterday rode through downtown without the benefit of clothes, if you get my drift, to protest against whatever liberal bike riders protest about.

5. carpro

carpro Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
  6. hillclimber1

hillclimber1 Active Member
    Site Supporter

This nonsense from a state steeped in the entrepreneurial spirit of pioneerism and survival. This state I've called home all my life, which is controlled by the liberals living in about 6 counties. It's a beautiful state, made ugly.

7. Dragoon68

Dragoon68 Active Member

This prompts me to repeat my position that any government official that advocates breaking the law should be ordered to comply and, if not, then promptly imprisoned for contempt. All levels of government should work together to enforce the immigration laws.

What the mayor doesn't say is that those people here to "support their families while filling the demands of local businesses" are costing us additional taxes and taking up jobs that might be worth more if the market wasn't effected by the "cheaper" labor of illegal alien status. The business may be doing well but somewhere someone else it making up the difference. The work ethic of the illegal aliens is not in question - who can fault a person for wanting to provide for their families - but our duty is to our citizens and that duty includes making sure that new residents and potential citizens follow the laws we set up to admit them. If they don't then they're not likely to have much regard for the rest of the law. What then keeps a person from refusing to pay taxes in order to "support their families" or some other thing of merit?

I say we need to round up every single illegal alien and send them back home even if it takes decades to accomplish. A quota of one million per year will get us there by the time our grandchildren are adults. That could be our gift to them instead of the alternative curse. Let the repatriated illegal aliens apply for an entry visa in line with everyone else - including many of my own family - who came here legally. Then they would be must welcome to join with the rest of us.

8. Baptist in Richmond

Baptist in Richmond Active Member

Nobody even knows how many people that involves, Dragoon68. That would be impossible...

Regards,
    BiR

9. Dragoon68

Dragoon68 Active Member

No, it's not at all impossible! It would be difficult but most things worth doing are difficult. We need to set a quota and get after it. If we want to accomplish it we can. "Can't" is a term used by those who want to give up. I don't want to give up. I want to really fix this problem and that includes correcting the past mistake not just clearing the slate and starting over.

10. Baptist in Richmond

Okay then: how do you propose we do this?
    Where are we going to put all those people?
    How are we going to keep them out of the country?

11. exscentric

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    These are people doing jobs americans won't do ..... That is why there was a long line of Americans standing waiting to apply for the vacated jobs today :laugh:

"That would be impossible..." If IRS would require employers to validate Social numbers to the name, which can be done easily, or the employer cannot deduct the employees wages and they would be out of work and self deport.

We have trains going south all the time along the west coast - funnel them west and send em south.

#11 exscentric, Jun 13, 2007
    Last edited by a moderator: Jun 13, 2007
  12. Baptist in Richmond

Nope - they would simply pay them under the table.

Then what happens when they come back to the country?

And by the way, who is going to pay for all these deportations?

Regards,
    BiR

13. Dragoon68

Dragoon68 Active Member

Put them back in their country.

Engage all levels on government.
    Expand the Border Patrol as necessary.
    Actively and aggressively patrol the borders.
    Inspect known work areas.
    Make it more trouble to come here than to stay home.
    Make it more risky and more expensive to hire illegal aliens.
    Deny all benefits to illegal aliens.
    Eliminate the "anchor baby" misapplication of the Constitution.
    Set quotas. Measure progess.
    Demand results! Fire Congress and Presidents that don't make adequate progress.

Have a positive attitude that it can be accomplished and stick with it until it is!

14. exscentric

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    "Nope - they would simply pay them under the table."

Let's see near 200 workers at 16,000 a year, and not claim that as a business deduction - don't think I'd run a business that way.

"Then what happens when they come back to the country?"

Uhh, don't allow it.

"And by the way, who is going to pay for all these deportations?"

Oh I don't know, maybe the governments that are now paying billions out in services for the folks that are leaving that won't be needing the services any longer.

15. Dragoon68

Dragoon68 Active Member

We should impose harsh trade restrictions on countries that permit or encourage illegal immigration into our country. Imagine what Mexico would do if NAFTA came to a halt until they worked with us to stop the illegal immigration. They might even stop printing instructions on how to avoid detection and capture for their citizens when illegally crossing our border.

16. billwald

billwald New Member

Two questions:

How many on this list want their kids to do field work and to work on the killing floor of a packing house? If not, whose kids do you want to do these jobs?

Why are some law breakers more honorable than others? For example, in Oregon, freeway traffic runs at a minimum of 10 mph over the speed limit when physically possible.

17. exscentric

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    "How many on this list want their kids to do field work and to work on the killing floor of a packing house? If not, whose kids do you want to do these jobs?"

Uhhh, its illegal in OR for kids to work in those places I think. We don't have illegal kids doing that work either unless they are doing it somewhere illegally. Are you indicating it is okay to abuse illegals because we don't want our kids doing something? :laugh:

Actually in OR kids traditionally had worked in the fields for extra money until wise mother government took that opportunity away from them.

"Why are some law breakers more honorable than others?"

Don't know who indicated they might believe that in this discussion. Anyway, if you speed you pay, clicket or ticket you know :wavey: However government is giving the illegals a free pass while holding citizens to the laws of the land. It is illegal for a state official, cop or employee to turn ANYONE they know is illegal in. Only if the illegal is arrested for a crime can ICE become involved from my understanding.

State employees run into illegals all the time, but are forbidden by law to turn them in. That is one reason the social system is so overrun here.

18. carpro

carpro Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    It's doubtful it would cost any more to deport them than to let them stay.

Funny how liberals only worry about the cost of something when it comes to enforcing the law or supporting our troops in our war effort.;)

19. Baptist in Richmond

Wrong - nobody even knows how many are actually here.

Who is going to pay, carpro? On CNBC this morning, the reporter was referencing a story that indicates that there is less foreign interest in our debt instruments. That means we are going to have to pay more in interest to entice the buyers who are financing this war.

20. Dragoon68

Dragoon68 Active Member

What's wrong with working in a lettuce field or a meat packing house? Many of us have done things just as difficult at one time or another in our lives and some still are. Honorable work comes in many different endeavors and some pays more than others but all are worthy of the labor.

What does this have to do with the status of illegal aliens? The only possible answer I can think of right now is that if we don't get a handle on the illegal immigration problem - stop it and reverse it - our grand children or great grandchildren may all get the opportunity to earn much less from the type work that your trying to describe.

#20 Dragoon68, Jun 14, 2007
    Last edited by a moderator: Jun 14, 2007