1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Potentially dumb question, but here goes...

Discussion in '2004 Archive' started by Shammai, Sep 7, 2004.

1. Marcia

Marcia Active Member

Yes, the Mormons, and I believe the JWs, are taught to use specific verses to make their points. That is why if you respond by putting it in context, they often cannot argue with you as they don't know what to say. Mormons often James 2.24 to say, "See, we do need works plus Christ." They will bring this up if I say that salvation is grace alone, faith alone. I then talk about that James verse in its proper context and what James is about. It's about how true faith will result in works. "Justified" in that verse does not mean saved but rather that we are justified in showing the world our faith by our works. IF you read the verses before it, v 23 clearly says Abrahm was made righteous (that is salvation) by his faith. Once I do this, they usually try to go to something else but I don't let them. I say, "Wait a minute, you brought this up so let's discuss what this is saying." Then I might mention other verses that show we are saved by faith. This way, you are giving them the gospel and not letting them take things out of context. It's not really that hard.

Christians should attempt to talk to these people since maybe you will be the only Christian this person hears the gospel from! I know that some Mormon and JW missionaries have been saved this way, or at least a seed was planted.

Here are some testimonies of former Mormons. This should encourage Christians to witness after realizing that people ARE saved out of these false beliefs!
    http://www.exmormon.org/stories.htm

2. rufus

rufus New Member

3. Marcia

Marcia Active Member

Rufus, why not witness to them? Some have been saved this way -- I have friends who have witnessed to Mormon and JW missionaries and seen them saved. Of course, they committed time to it.

2 John is about not letting a false teacher have a platform in a church -- the churches then were all in homes. It does not mean you can't have an unbeliever in your house. Someone else on this thread pointed this out, too, I believe. But if you had a Bible study in your home, it would mean you should not let an unbeliever teach or lead the Bible study.

It saddens and discourages me to see on a Baptist forum that some Christians would rather send lost people away than witness to them. If they are not receptive, fine, end the dialogue. But at least ask God to use you and see if He will. At least make an effort to plant a seed.

Don't you ever wonder if maybe in heaven God will say, "Why didn't you try to share Christ with some of those Mormons and JWs who came to your door?"

Yeah, send those lost people away -- we're saved and we don't need to bother ourselves with them, right?

4. rufus

rufus New Member

Marcia asked:
    Sister, by telling them I'm a Bible-believing Christian, I am witnessing to them.

When you've lived a little longer, perhaps you will see the difference between a lost person and a person ensnared in a cult.

But thanks for reminding me that I ought always be ready to give a defense for what I believe!

5. Bob Colgan

Bob Colgan New Member

Sister, by telling them I'm a Bible-believing Christian, I am witnessing to them.

When you've lived a little longer, perhaps you will see the difference between a lost person and a person ensnared in a cult.

But thanks for reminding me that I ought always be ready to give a defense for what I believe!
    </font>[/QUOTE]What is the diffrence bertween a lost person and one in a cult?
    There both lost and on there way to hell. should you not witness to a person in a cult?
    They both need Jesus are do we get to pick and choose. Saying well this person is in a cult I'm not going to witness to him there is no hope. :confused:

Bob C

6. Marcia

Marcia Active Member

</font>[/QUOTE]You sure how presuming to know a lot about me. I am likely older than you are. I have a 22 year old son and I was not a young mother.

You presumed something else: that I don't know about cults. I know quite a bit about cults -- in fact, I have been going to cult awareness conferences and reading Christian literature on cults since I was a new believer. I have given talks on cults. I have many friends in cult outreach ministries, including the 2nd largest cult awareness ministry in this country, Watchman Fellowship, and another large one, Personal Freedom Outreach. I am with them several times a year at conferences, and with others who do outreach specifically to people in various cults.

I realize that a person in a cult has a mindset that is very blinded and that there is a spirtiual hold there that is sometimes different from what you might encounter in the typical generic unbeliever. However, that is no excuse not to witness to that person.

How can you discount people just because they are in a cult? How do you know God will not use what you say? How do you know that one of those people at the door is doubting what they've been taught? In many cases, this turns out to be true. There are testimonies of ex-Mormons and ex-JWs who have been saved because a Christian took the time to witness to them and it caused their doubt to grow and eventually led them to Christ.

I have talked to people in cults and former members of cults many times. God can use us if we are willing -- it is Him anyway, not us, who opens the mind and heart to truth. So it does not matter if the person is a Mormon, an agnostic, a New Ager, a Wiccan, or whatever. God can reach anyone and we are only to be faithful to witness.

7. Marcia

Marcia Active Member

Forgot to mention that I took Contemporary Cults at seminary, taught by Dr. Ron Rhodes, an expert in this area. He has written several books on witnessing to Mormons, JWs, Muslims and others. His material for our class formed the basis of his latest book, The Challenge of the Cults and New Religions. I am also working on a seminary degree in Apologetics.

8. Irwin Hawkins

Irwin Hawkins New Member

Since we are talking about JW's, and witnessing to them, or not; and our age as I believe Rufus is referring to; I just want to say; I have had many experiences with JW's. I am a paptist preacher, and have told them that when they come to my door; and still have wound-up debating with them for as long as an hour at a time. To tell them you are a "Bible believing Christian" or Christian period doesn't send them away. Here is one that really cuts deep. I have a daughter that just turned 49 yrs. She was captured by JW's when she was in her mid 20's. I never stopped showing my love for her; when I had the chance, then about 8 yrs. ago she called me on the phone and said; "Daddy, I got out of the JW's, but I don't want you to think you are going to get me in the church." That cut like a dull, jagged blade knike, but I didn't let on to her how it hurt. I have now been able to witness to her the last couple of yrs. She has been "almost persuaded", but so far still lost. I would ask your prayers for her, and my three grandchildren. She raised all three up in JW's, and they all have fallen out of the "frying pan, into the fire". It seems kinda strange to me that since my daughter got out of that organization JW's have quit coming around. I did have a lady come up to me a few days ago as I was about to get in my car returning from a supermarket, if I wanted the material she had. I told her no, I spent my time studying my Bible; so she walked back and got in her car. I have always been nice to them when they did come to my home; I just never let them have control of the conversation. I have had some of them to leave quite angry, but there would always be some of them coming back until my daughter got out of the JW's. It;s hard sometime, but I think we need to be loving toward them, and whoever we have a chance to witness to.
    With the love Jesus gave me. [​IMG]
    irwin

9. rufus

rufus New Member

Marcia said:
    Is it a presumption that you are likely older than me, Marcia. From your posts, I now know I'm older than you? lol

Is is a presumption that I presumed you don't know anything about cults? lol

Seriously, I did not mean to offend, sister, but my experience with cult members, and you admitted it, is that it takes a long time to get them to listen to the gospel because they are so indoctrinated in the cult teachings.

Unless they are willing to spend some time with you, and most of them aren't, best to bid them "good day!"

10. Marcia

Marcia Active Member

Hey, I'm more than happy for someone to be older than I am! Be my guest! [​IMG]

Yes, true, but you never know when they are at your door at what point they might be. It could be that someone else has witnessed, or they've read something in the Bible under God's conviction, and they need to hear the gospel again. You could be the one to do that. This is why I posted that link to testimonies of ex-Mormons -- some of them heard Biblical truth when they were missionaries going door to door and that cast a seed of doubt about the Mormon faith in them. Then later they were saved. Others had some doubts and needed to hear it confirmed.

But my philosophy is, "Why not try?" What does it hurt to talk a little and give the gospel? At least they hear it receptive or not. God can use it. Or if you show concern and the love of Christ, God can use that, too.

11. R. Charles Blair

R. Charles Blair New Member

Dealing with JW's (if you are comfortable talking to them at all - but ABC - ALWAYS BE COURTEOUS):

Ask if they have their "New World Translation" handy. Of course they do. Ask them to read Revelation 14:9-11 from it. Their own version teaches an eternal hell where at least some people will suffer for ever and ever consciously.
    Then ask: "Are you wrong in your translation, or in your doctrine?" (They will say, "Yes, but who are those people?" And your answer can be, "Who ever they are, they are lost people. Are you saved?" Their answer may be, "I'm in a saved state at the moment, but we cannot know about eternal salvation until later." Ask them to read "The First of John" (I John) from their NWT,
    5:10-13. It teaches that we CAN know now that we are really saved, not just "in a saved state."

Dr. Bob's approach is good. We had a 3rd genera-tion JW who had been saved and is a Baptist pastor
    serving in Reidland, KY, at one time. He testified that in all the visits he made, from childhood with his parents, no one ever shared the true way of salvation with him. They like to be persecuted - makes them believe they are right!

Best to all - Charles - Ro. 8:28