1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Pouring for Baptism

Discussion in '2004 Archive' started by Phillip, Apr 18, 2004.

1. Phillip

Phillip <b>Moderator</b>

What are you thoughts for "pouring" for Baptism for persons who are handicapped. Say, for a parapalegic?

How about for an old lady in a rest home who will never come to church? The pouring took place in the whirlpool, she wasn't dunked, just had a pitcher of water poured over her head.

Just curious.........Input please...........

2. donnA

donnA Active Member

We had a man in a wheel chair get saved once and they carried him upstairs and then into the baptistery.

3. Dr. Bob

Dr. Bob Administrator
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Can understand the thinking, but really a "slippery slope". If pouring is acceptable "baptism" for ANYONE, then it is good for ALL.

And why pour? Just sprinkle a little (some may be too sick to handle pouring).

4. Phillip

Phillip <b>Moderator</b>

I agree. They have done it three times so far. Seems like a trend starting....

Their pastor was not Baptist before he went to seminary. He is reported to have told church members that he looked for the church denomination with the largest groups and number of churches. It turned out to be the SBC. The church recently started a building program where he had them pray for God's guidance. 48% of the people voted against it. The pastor is continuing. I think if I had that many people against it, I would pray a little more to find out why half felt it was against God's will.

My pastor (not the church that pours) told me that he feels if a church starts compromising on any of the two ordinances; baptism or the Lord's supper that they will compromise on the other one. He said this is the trend he has seen in his lifetime. His example was that the church that did the pouring also started giving out Lord's supper kits so anybody could take the Lord's supper who watched on TV whether or not they were a member of the church.

I think there appears to be a trend there with the entire doctrine. This is not a church I will identify or tell where it is; a friend of mine that I used to work with goes there; he tells me about it.

5. blackbird

blackbird Active Member

I saw a picture(I believe it was on BPNews---maybe SBCNet web) where this US Army Chaplain was "pouring" water on some troops---like Phillip discribed above---sorta disappointed me!

I know that a lot of people say---"Well, there they are in that hot Iraqi sand and desert---with lack of water---to which I say--

Ten years ago--during the first Persian Gulf war I had a buddy who happened to be a US Army Chaplain--rank of Captain--(don't cha just love rank??)who was there---and what they did was---they made their own baptismal tank out of old disposed fuel tanks or water tanks---or just out of old scrap lumber in which they would build a boxed up tank and line it with plastic liner---they'd fill those tanks up and baptize like the Bible says we're supposed to!!

Brother David

6. brobobby

brobobby New Member

I understand your dilemma but I would have to also say that it would not be scriptural baptism. You could not immerse by just pouring.

7. Deacon

Deacon Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Let me relate a humorous situation that happened about a decade ago.

We had a church picnic at a local park, during the picnic we had a service and also had planned baptisms in the nearby lake.

As the crowd grew by the lake, the pastor waded into the water. And waded, and waded, and waded....

Eventually getting up to his knees in the shallow muddy lake about a 75 feet from the shoreline (most of the depth was mud).

Well the baptisms went as planned anyway, we immursed the people as much as we could in the shallow waters, and splashed the parts that came up dry.

And they are just as baptized as I am.

And of course that is the last time we used that lake [​IMG]

Rob

8. Jailminister

Jailminister New Member

It appears to me that to much emphasis is being put on water baptism. Water baptism is a matter of obedience, not for salvation. If you can't do it properly(obediently) then just wait until you can. If you just can't arrange for it to be done properly, then just don't worry about it.

9. Baptist Believer

Baptist Believer Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Amen, brother!

10. Servent

Servent Member

I have to agree.

11. Phillip

Phillip <b>Moderator</b>

That is what my own pastor said about it. He thinks it is elevating it up to "salvation" which is a dangerous thing to do. Another example was a very old person in a nursing home who wasn't long on this earth anyway. He felt that the church could do just as much providing for her as a new Christian as they could if she were Baptised.

Do you Baptise someone lying on the side of a road dying after a car accident? No, but some people think you should.

Jailminister, we're in agreement. [​IMG]