1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Powell: Iran far from Nuclear Weapons

Discussion in 'Political Debate & Discussion' started by Ivon Denosovich, Nov 19, 2007.

1. 2 Timothy2:1-4

2 Timothy2:1-4 New Member

Are you under the misgiuded impression that the President is the only one who supports these sanctions?

To single the president out so that you can call him a name (bully) lacks credibility.

There can be different levels of threats it isn't an either or situation. Especially based on speculation by Powell.

2. 2 Timothy2:1-4

Now that we see no one said that there is an iminent threat from iran with nukes nor did anyone imply it ever we can move on.

3. saturneptune

saturneptune New Member

Oh, we all forgot, Bush is a credible conservative.

4. Dagwood

Dagwood New Member

I'll pit my English skills against yours any day Carpro. By the way, how old are you?

5. hillclimber1

hillclimber1 Active Member
    Site Supporter

I wouldn't be willing to bet the farm on Powells statement. The price for being wrong is far too high. GWB knows accountability is necessary.

The sanctions on Iran serve many useful purposes, one being, that it shows them we aren't going to stand for stonewalling on the state of their nuclear capability.

I'm sure (relatively) that Iran won't get into a nuclear exchange with Israel anytime soon. They know they couldn't possibly win that one. But rational thought is iffy with them sometimes.

6. saturneptune

saturneptune New Member

Lots disagree, but those weapons still exist, and are somewhere.

7. Ivon Denosovich

Ivon Denosovich New Member

No. I'm aware that many besides Bush support these sanctions. Nor do I necessarily consider them wrong. My point was (in a vain attempt to convince carpro to can the semantics) that Iran is considered a threat or we wouldn't be dealing with them this way. Ironically, I was the one actually giving Bush the benefit of the doubt by conceding that he probably does consider them an imminent threat and so is justified (A/K/A not a bully) to take action against them. Stranger things and all that jazz...

#47 Ivon Denosovich, Nov 20, 2007
    Last edited by a moderator: Nov 20, 2007
  8. carpro

carpro Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I feel the same way as I attempted in vain to get you to drop your semantics.

Iran is a threat. Just not an imminent threat. I don't believe so and neither does Bush.

Sanctions is the tool being used in an effort to keep Iran from becoming an "imminent" threat, one that we have to deal with militarily.

#48 carpro, Nov 20, 2007
  9. Ivon Denosovich

So, Iran's development of nuclear weapons is underway and has been for quite some time and because no one is allowed to inspect them there's no telling what they have or when they'll have it. Yeah, you are so right. My inference of implied imminence was completely wrong.
    Um... do you realize "is" is a present tense linking verb? Your partisan wrangling of English should read, "Iran will be a threat." Of course, with your not being in the loop and all I doubt you could say either.

<carpro>

Iran is a threat. Not an immenent one. Stop bickering semantics. Just because I think thery're a threat now doesn't mean I believe now counts as "imminent" by any stretch of the term.

</carpro>

#49 Ivon Denosovich, Nov 20, 2007
  10. carpro

carpro Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    You're the one that used the word and is still trying vainly to make it stand up.

As soon as you stop playing semantic games, we can move on.:BangHead:

11. 2 Timothy2:1-4

Actually Carpo is right. Iran "is" a threat. The process of developing nukes is the current threat. this semantical argument over "is" "is" not helpful.

12. Ivon Denosovich

Why is it that even when I give Bush the benefit of the doubt and agree with him I'm still taken to task by Republicans? I'm tempted to ask, 2 Timothy2:1-4, if you are even aware that I'm echoing the sentiments of the current administration. Do yourself a favor and reread the thread. Your (coincidentally?) ever present symbiotic echo, carpro, should reread the thread also. Geez...

ETA: I'm done with this thread. :)

#52 Ivon Denosovich, Nov 20, 2007
  13. carpro

carpro Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    That's just the problem

You were, I believe intentionally, mischaracterizing the position of the Administration on this issue, not echoeing their sentiments.

I appreciate 2nd Timothy's remarks. It is to be expected that you don't.

14. saturneptune

saturneptune New Member

No one agrees with me, but still believe that Iran was a much bigger threat to the United States in March 2003, and still is today. One day we are going to wish we had all the resources we need to deal with Iran that were wasted in Iraq.

15. carpro

carpro Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I'll agree that they were at least as dangerous.

The cold hard truth is that Iraq was "doable" at the time. Iran wasn't.

Just an observation...

How comfortable do you think Iran is with having a substantial American military presence on their opposite borders?

16. saturneptune

saturneptune New Member

No doubt they feel quite uncomfortable. They also know the Army and Marines are stretched to the limit. Anything against Iran would be Naval/Air Force operations.

What do you think would happen to Iraq and Afghanastan if we had to use the troops there to cross the border into Iran?

17. carpro

carpro Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I don't believe boots on the ground are seriously being considered as an option for Iran at the present. As the Iraqis continue to take over their own security, that could change.

I agree with you that we have air and naval access galore and that's what would be used if the need arises.