1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

PowerPoint/Multi Media

Discussion in 'Pastoral Ministries' started by TomVols, May 9, 2003.

1. TomVols

TomVols New Member

How do you pastors utilize this in worship? After some experimentation, our church is making the full plunge. I'd appreciate your experiences.

2. USN2Pulpit

USN2Pulpit New Member

We use it at our church.

1) If you're "taking the plunge," you know how expensive the set-up can be!

2) We put the words to hymns and other music up there.

3) Announcement slide show runs prior to service and after service, but eventually, people will stop paying attention, just like in bulletins!

4) Our pastor put the Focal verses up there, but in time he realized he was making his congregation lazy. People even stopped bringing their Bibles. He doesn't do that anymore.

5) Our pastor puts his outline (not detailed - in bullet format) for those that would take notes. If you make it too detailed, you're pretty much a slave to it, for the presentation's sake...be careful!

6) The challenge to all of this is not only to get someone that's proficient in running the system, but has become very familiar with the order of service for each week, including your sermon format, should you decide to use it. That way, when things accidentaly go "out of order" (and they will), that person can immediatly adjust the presentation to fit where you are, and by doing that avoid distraction.

Hope this helps...

3. Istherenotacause

Istherenotacause New Member

Resorting to mechanics makes robots out of people. :rolleyes:

Where's the demonstration and power of the Holy Spirit? :( :confused: :(

I remember those overhead projectors in elementary school in assembly, most boring experience in school I can recall, even more boring than any academics. [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

4. Gib

Gib Active Member

Sounds like your church has not had a very good experience with it.

5. USN2Pulpit

USN2Pulpit New Member

Let me clarify: When put together well and run by someone that knows what they're doing, it can really be good. The items I mentioned above are simply "lessons learned."

ITNAC, I don't think multimedia is not boring. Especially when combined with the thought over, prayed over program of a godly music minister and the sermon of a godly pastor. Granted, I don't particularly like it, but it is handy when you want to show a video or put up the words to a responsive reading.

6. Gib

Gib Active Member

Sounds like your church has got the hang of it. [​IMG]

7. Istherenotacause

Sorry, but I've just never been much for the mechanics, I've always been the type that enjoys true to life preaching. I'm sure it would have it's use in the "mega" churches, but we're too small to incorporate things that big.

I'm all for everyone having their part in the service, becoming engulfed in the worship.

8. Jonathan

Jonathan Member
    Site Supporter

Mechanics? You mean like the mechanics involved in expository preparation? Or the mechanics involved in establishing an evangelism plan (one that can be evaluated for effectiveness)? How about the mechanics like order of service, note structure in hymn books, etc...

The rolling eyes icon is well put.

When you preach, do you just get up in the pulpit, open your Bible to a random passage and then just fire away? Or do you actually spend hours in study, prayer, and other preparation?

9. Istherenotacause

I do my best to remain sensitive to the promptings of the Holy Spirit regardless of how much time I've studied and prayed in preparation.

We don't put out on a message board or in the bulletin the message for the day, we rely solely on the Holy Ghost for direction. Sometimes the Lord changes the order of things for the service, no matter how prepared I think I am. He's known to blow our little programs to smithereens! And thank the Good Lord for doing so many times before, and anticipating Him doing it again!

10. USN2Pulpit

USN2Pulpit New Member

Ain't that the truth! That's why if you use such a system for presentation, you have to use someone that's quick on their feet to operate it! (Generally, that means to pick someone in the college/career age category!)

11. Hardsheller

Hardsheller Active Member
    Site Supporter

This ain't like yore experiences in Elemetary School this is like modern day TV run by a Computer! [​IMG]

And I'll be you're not using the all the same tools that plumbers used 100 years ago either. I'll bet you have some modern inventions in your toolbox. :eek:

Shouldn't God's Church use the best tools available to help present the Gospel? You Betcha! [​IMG]

12. TomVols

TomVols New Member

Anyone else tired of this broken-down bifurcation that is solely the product of modern man?

13. Istherenotacause

Anyone else tired of this broken-down bifurcation that is solely the product of modern man? </font>[/QUOTE]Hey Tom, Do you mind defining "broken-down bifurcation"? I know what broken-down insinuates, but "bifurcation" isn't a very common word. Is it one of them thar refined words of the upper-intellectual class? Ussin' ol' backwoods fellars ain't got 'nuff sense but to follow God y'know.

14. Gib

Gib Active Member

We don't put out on a message board or in the bulletin the message for the day, we rely solely on the Holy Ghost for direction. Sometimes the Lord changes the order of things for the service, no matter how prepared I think I am.

I do agree that sometimes the Lord changes the order of things for the service. I have no problem making changes. When changes are needed, I always let my pianist know and the pastor if he is not otherwise involved in doing something else.

Does your church have a bulletin and if it does, do you list an order of worship. Prelude, Opening Hymn, Welcome and so on?

15. Ps104_33

Ps104_33 New Member

I am songleader in my church and we started using powerpoint a couple of years ago. I noticed that no one opens their hymnbooks anymore. Even on occasion when the system is down for some reason and the words to the hymns are not up on the screen people have become lazy and end up singing only the choruses to the songs because they dont know the words to the verses of the songs. I also noticed that they dont bother using their Bible anymore becaus all the relevent verses are up on the screen. Alot of the special music is sung to sound track tapes also. Pretty soon we will be watching the pastor preach on the screen and he can sit and watch himself preach. Everything seems so canned anymore.

16. Dr. Bob

Dr. Bob Administrator
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    I love power point for teaching. Have seen it used successfully in church services.

Our church is paying $28k for an entire makeover of a sound system, computerized power point facilities et al. Way too much money imho and it won't be done by June 15th so guess the new pastor will be blessed with it. I am envious.

Praise God for modern inventions. Power point is no more "evil" than electric lights, bulletins, overheads, et al. All enhance the communication of the Word.

17. Istherenotacause

"Sufficient unto the day is the evil thereof" You can mark it down! You're post reveals the symptoms of a dying church, or at least one slipping off into a sort of limbo.

Getting people more involved in the works and worship is what church is all about, it's what makes a church alive! [​IMG] not simplifying everything thinking we've gotten the message across any better. WE are creatures of habit, if we are trained on how the program works, we know how to be slothful and get around the system. And to think we preachers have preached against this sort of stuff for years now, and the people are becoming comfortably numb!
    :rolleyes:

18. Gib

Gib Active Member

If they don't open their hymnals or Bibles when the system is down, it sounds like a people problem. We don't use powerpoint or screens of any kind. Here, there a number of people who open their hymnal and do not sing. There are several who do not open their hymnals at all. We have a people problem. I don't think using powerpoint, bulletins or hymnal is the real issue.

19. Istherenotacause

If they don't open their hymnals or Bibles when the system is down, it sounds like a people problem. We don't use powerpoint or screens of any kind. Here, there a number of people who open their hymnal and do not sing. There are several who do not open their hymnals at all. We have a people problem. I don't think using powerpoint, bulletins or hymnal is the real issue. </font>[/QUOTE]That's what I love about the Lord, His system is never down!

20. Istherenotacause

We're just palin down home folks serving a down home Lord. We don't have the line of order system you're talking about, we tend to be more personal than so stiff and predictable, though we do have an opening song and a "How do you do?" greeting.

There I go! "Bifurcating" again! Ya'll 'scuse me fer that! [​IMG]