1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

PowerPoint/Multi Media

Discussion in 'Pastoral Ministries' started by TomVols, May 9, 2003.

1. Gib

Gib Active Member

Wow! 2 times the Bifurcating! [​IMG]

We do have an "order of worship." We are one of those sophisticated, stiff and unpersonal churches. Our problematic people would not know what to do next if we did'nt tell them. I wish we cud be mo like yo chuch and brake thru the chains that shakel us. [​IMG]

2. j_barner2000

j_barner2000 Member

you know.... I am a certified computer nerd, so I know who would be stuck dealing with the powerpoint. And as the pastoral intern I would be expected to do it. For our VBS we will use powerpoint to show the kids the pledges etc, and the parents photos during the picnic on family day. However, I really doubt it would work at our church.
    Now in another church, it may be great to use. I think it has to be determined by each individual congregation.
    As far as laziness is concerned, our society is in general lazy. And we tend toward easier, more convenient ways to do everything. I doubt we will go in the other direction.

3. All about Grace

All about Grace New Member

We live in a media-driven, visual day and age. Statistics reveal that people learn more by seeing and hearing it. Enough said.

Confronting culture where they are at is not an option. It is a must. We have no right to expect our missionaries to contextualize the gospel in their fields and refuse to do so on the homefront.

We use PP every Sunday in songs, Scripture reading, sermons, etc.

4. Griffdog

Griffdog New Member

We use Powerpoint for everything in the student ministry, it will happen soon enough for the church I suppose. It is a HUGE benefit, but simply a tool in the toolbox.

One criticism of a member was what would happen if we didn't have it for a night - we're we SO dependent on it that it was the only focus for the night?

Funny story - had an amazing night last week, taught disciple's HABITS of accountability with another believer, and involvement in ministry. Amazing times - all with the screen OFF. The power went out during songs so we went "old school" and acousticed everything. I heard rumors that the Holy Spirit was there, too.

[​IMG]

Get Powerpoint, people. Just make sure you've got some real depth when the power goes out. You know, the Real Power.

Josh

5. Dr. Bob

Dr. Bob Administrator
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Amen, Josh. We rely on all the gadgets and gimmicks and forget that it is
    p.s. LOVE the handle, dude! [​IMG]

6. J.C.

J.C. New Member

Our church has been using LCD projectors and powerpoint for the following:

- announcements
    - chorus/hymn words
    - sermon outline

The GOOD
    Announcements are more fun because they have pictures of past/upcoming events so people tend to pay attention to them

The best thing I have found in this new technology/method is that it has aided our worship. For me, if my nose is buried into a hymnal "frantacly" searching for the words to make sure I am on the right verse as well as the right note, I am spending all my energy and focus on how to sing the songs. My focus should be on the words and how those words move my mind to worship our Heavenly Father, Saviour, and Spirit. It's also difficult to raise my hands in worship when holding a heavy (I'm a skinny weakling [​IMG] ) hymn book on one/both hands.

The BAD

My pastor used to get carried away with cute animations where the words to the next "bulleted" point would come sliding in or spinning in. I think he must have figured out that it was inappropriate and unnecessary because he stopped doing it.

As does any pastor, he prays throughout the week prepairing his sermon for Sunday. He, at some time, prepairs the outline and puts in in PowerPoint. Sometimes he does get halfway through the sermon and the Spirit moves him in another direction and then when he tries to figure out where he is on the slide show, it is awkward for a moment.

It is a tool and a useful one, but can be a distration at times.

7. TomVols

TomVols New Member

Sounds like an order of service to me! [​IMG]

8. TomVols

TomVols New Member

Can anyone get into specifics about the projectors? How many lumens? What kind of software? Etc.?

9. j_barner2000

j_barner2000 Member

Tom... There are many different aspects to discuss. I know of 3 or 4 good presentation packages out there. Depending upon the size/layout of the sanctuary... the particulars vary as do the cost. Some of the manufacturers offer special pricing options for Non-profit organizations... This includes MS.. 3M and IN-focus... PM me and I will see what I can do to get you a list of manufacturers who offer special pricing to non-profit orgs.

10. Griffdog

Griffdog New Member

Simply put, you want the highest resolution and the highest lumens you can afford. Ours is 1200 lumens for the student ministry, and SVGA resolution ($1800). But I would say for many that want full auditorium lighting as well as a projector should use a HDTV resolution and 5000+ lumens ($7000).

Josh

11. Paul of Eugene

Paul of Eugene New Member

Before the service, we have announcement slides that cycle. Also we have shots of the congretation from the week before. Announcements get 12 seconds, the candid shots get 2 seconds each - there's about 30 of those. Then when ther service starts, we put up the words for the music. That's all.

12. j_barner2000

j_barner2000 Member

sorry. I am so used to providing support that I try not to get specific until I hear the conditions. I work for a large reseller, so, I am concerned that I get as much info as I can before I make a reccomendation. Again many of the technology manufacturers offer special pricing for non-profit orgs, which may translate into significant savings on many technology needs/ wants of a church.