1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Practical Bible College

Discussion in 'Baptist Colleges & Seminaries' started by Dan Todd, Apr 23, 2004.

1. Dan Todd

Dan Todd Active Member

Practical Bible College is located in the Binghamton, NY area.

It was founded around 1900 as Practical Bible Training School. It was established as a ministry school, and continues as such to this day.

Dr. Woodrow Michael Kroll (Back to the Bible) is one of Practical's graduates and returned some years later to be it's president.

Practical became Practical Bible College about a decade ago. It continues to offer a one year Bible certificate and a three year Bible Diploma - as it has for most of it's history. It now also offers a two year associates degree and a four year Bachelor of Religious Education degree. By summer's end - the school will be known as Davis College, named after it's founder, Evangelist John A. Davis.

Practical continues to be an excellent school for preparing for Pastoral Ministries and the Mission Field. It also now offers a concentration in counselling as well as music.

Notes of interest - Barnabas Halo's daughter is married to Gilbert Parker's son. Dr. Parker is a vice-president of the school and an excellent professor and pastor/preacher.

Our son Kelly graduated from Practical in 1999, and his wife Elizabeth in 2000. My dad graduated from the school in 1949 - just about the time I entered the world.

A few of the jokes about Practical - PBC = Practical Bridal College - or Practical Baby College. (I often say the our son found a wife and two babies at Practical.) My parents met at Practical - and I often introduce myself to "Practical People" as the result of a Practical Romance.

Practical does have a web site - which can easily be found on an internet search.

Dr. Bob asked me to tell a bit about Practical - and I am happy to do so!

Dan Todd - having a Practical father and a Practical son - graduating 50 years apart!

*** Edited by Barnabas to correct data about who is married who on the Halo and Parker family side. [​IMG]

[ May 14, 2004, 10:06 PM: Message edited by: Barnabas ]

2. Dan Todd

Dan Todd Active Member

3. Dr. Bob

Dr. Bob Administrator
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Thanks, Dan. Love Woodrow Kroll (have traveled a long way to hear him speak and his book on "The Vanishing Ministry" is on my top 10).

What churches, state or national association would support PBC? Is it mainly a regional school for New York/Pa?

4. Dan Todd

Dan Todd Active Member

I would say that it is mostly a regional school. Many of the students are from the "General Association of Regular Baptist Churches" - but not all. There are quite a few from independent Baptist churches - as well as other conservative churches from other denominations!

Current president is Dr. George Miller - who started his higher education trail at Practical.

Before Dr. Miller - Dr. Dale Linebaugh was president - he also started his education at Practical - in fact he was on the "garbage crew" with my dad - back in the late forties!

5. Dan Todd

Dan Todd Active Member

6. exscentric

exscentric Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    There are a couple other similar schools in the mid-west if anyone is interested.

One is in LaGrange, WY which is a three year program (may have fourth now, haven't heard) and also offer a one year certificate. http://www.fsbible.org/

Another is in South Dakota, it is more conservative than the Wyoming school. http://www.cornerstonebibleinstitute.com/