1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Praise and Glory be to God :)

Discussion in 'General Baptist Discussions' started by Allan, Dec 16, 2009.

1. Allan

Allan Active Member

This is for the general discussion not only as declaration of praise but also within it, an aspect to be discussed.

The PRAISE:
    My pastor was diagnosed with stage 3 Prostate cancer about a month and half ago (and even a second opinion). Since he was to go into surgury this week (last monday the 14th) I was to take all pastorial responsibilities over beginning that day till he was recovered enough to assume it again. Now, what makes this story such a praise is what happened prior and 'during' the surgery.

Last week during our Wednesday night prayer meeting we prayed over the pastor in accordance with scripture.

Pastor Mark Lafreniere who went if for surgery and it was during the beginning of the surgery the doctor noticed a problem. There was no cancer - at all. When Mark came to he doctor told Mark they found absolutely no trace of any cancer. He wanted to a few tests to make sure and after the tests came back stated to Mark - we can mark it up to 1 of 2 things. Either this is a miricle or it is the first time in medical history only (2 or 3 - I forget which) radiation treatments irradicated any and all traces of the cancer. We can't detect it on any of the tests we previously ran.

I'm not saying that we told God what to do but asked if God would to heal Mark supernaturally but if it be His will to take him fully through this ordeal to give him strength and understanding for trial ahead, let it not our will but yours that is done. Praise God, He fulfilled His will and blessed us in doing so.

The DISCUSSION:
    There is other praises from that night, but one thing that disturbs me greatly anymore is the fact that not only do most church people not pray enough privately but that we, as the church, don't pray enough corporately. It isn't important enough for most people. Secondly but just as disturbing and important is that most people don't even know 'how' to pray, which is due primarily to their lack of understanding about scripture.

Why do you think (what I call) the Americanized Church has forsaken the very means through which God bring us together, communicates with Him, empowers the church, obtains understanding, and brings peace and His blessing upon us? This is NOT speaking of those who some might question an individuals salvation (lack of any fruit) but I am speaking primarily of those who show the fruits of salvation but still sit in seeming apathy with regard to the seriousness of the above. ie. no real action regarding it or conviction about it

#1 Allan, Dec 16, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: Dec 16, 2009
  2. saturneptune

saturneptune New Member

That is a wonderful testimony. I can only believe it is God at work after reading your post. Now, as to why we do not pray as a church more, I do not know. We have had several threads on altar calls, usually in the mindset of coming to salvation or a rededication of ones life. It seems to me that would be a great time for a local church to come together, get on their knees and praise God, or just pray for others. I am as guilty as the next person in this regard, but there are times I have felt compelled to go up front and just pray, and nothing about myself. Another thing I notice, is that on Wednesday night prayer services, we tend to pray for one subject and one subject only, unless the pastor points out a need, and that is for the sick to get well. That is very, very important, but not the only reason to pray.

Since we are near Christmas, the song that speaks most closely to my heart, and is hardly ever sung in services, is "O Holy Night." The words such as "fall on your knees" and praise His Holy Name" really speak to me in regards to this subject.

I am no expert on prayer, but when I pray, I try to listen more than talk. When I do talk, the prayer includes praise and adoration, thanksgiving, requests for others, and talking to God about where I failed Him.

These thoughts may not have directly address your discussion, but it is what comes to mind.

Again, very excellent post. Thanks for sharing that.

3. Allan

Allan Active Member

Wow, I think yours was an excellent post :thumbs: and it rings true to my thoughts as well.

You know I remember as a youth the altar calls were not 'only' or even 'primarily' about the lost but about 'needs'. I remember as a kid wishing people would hurry up cause it was getting late and tv show was going to start :laugh: but when I got saved, those front steps or front pews in those precious saints of God were praying, I remember vividly those times of sharing, praying, and refreshing with them and they with me. It was a comfort to know that people were not 'just' watching me as I went forward, by the prompting of the Holy Spirit, that they were ready to move whether by compassion or the Spirit of the Living God to come along side me with prayers as well. Corporate worship didn't end at the close of the sermon nor at the last note played, but when the people of God knew the Fathers business for that time and place was done. Anymore, it takes nearly 30 minutes for people to come in and less than 10 for them to leave.

I also agree with you on prayer meeting getting in the rut of single-mindedness in praying only for the sick. I like to use the Lords Prayer as guide for prayer meetings sometimes. You break it up into it's basic parts and have people pray in like mindedness to that portion. Example: Our Father who are in heaven. Hallowed is thy name.. And ask for those who wish speak the praises of God or to praise and lift up His name in verbal prayer. Next is seeking His will while bring our lives into subjection.. give us this day/needs.. ect.. It gives a little structure to the praying but it also allows us to bring our hearts and mind into presense and subjection of our God by lifting Him higher and us more completely dependent upon His merciful grace.

4. Bob Alkire

Bob Alkire New Member

So true. How much of this is due to we think so much about our selves if it is personal or as a church? How much of it is due to the fact so many really don't expect an answer? I know I've got into playing a christian at times and my heart wasn't into the prayer, if it was mine or the churches, that I wasn't expecting an answer or not, just saying words. That's when I need to repent and get my life back in order, God, family and church.

5. zrs6v4

zrs6v4 Member

I love those kinds of testimonies. The pastor of my church had a similar event in his forty years of church. He was called by a deacon (or someone in the church) who was going in for a major surgery on his back. The person asked the pastor to personally anoint him with oil and pray over him for healing. My pastor did so with a scriptural mind and the man was healed. The best part was that the doctor (or someone from the hospital) was sent to question my pastor about the situation. I like how you made sure that you gave the testimony and making sure to avoid modern day notions of faith healing.

6. Aaron

Aaron Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    True

Alas, the pull of the natural man.

But the fires of persecution are being kindled in this land. We're going to find that true Christians will pray more and more.

7. abcgrad94

abcgrad94 Active Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    What a great testimony! Thank you for sharing.

This is one reason why we call our Wednesday night meetings "Prayer Meetings" at our church. It is not a preaching service, but a prayer service. My hubby gives a short devotional, then we split into groups and spend the rest of the time in prayer.

Instead of having a fall revival this year, we decided to have a prayer emphasis week. Each night we met to pray specifically for different people and/or situations. There was no guest speaker, no special music, no preaching, just prayer. My husband worked every day (his usual 10 hours) and got home in time to run to church. We did not dress up and we had no visitors attend, yet this was the FIRST time our church has shown some significant spiritual growth in the 4 plus years we've been here. Prayer really does change things!

I am convinced that true revival does not depend on which evangelist comes, who sings what music, what we wear or how tired we are. It doesn't depend on how exciting a sermon is, if a sermon is even preached, or whether or not we have a "good crowd." By simply focusing on prayer, we eliminated a "need" or desire to have any of those things this year, and we ended up experiencing the best "revival" we've seen in years.