1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Pray Virginia extends voting hours by 2 hours

Discussion in 'Political Debate & Discussion' started by YOUTUBECANBESAVED, Nov 4, 2008.

1. YOUTUBECANBESAVED

YOUTUBECANBESAVED New Member

Breaking news: at 10:30, Election Protection - the nation's largest nonpartisan voter protection coalition - will call for the voting hours in Virginia to be extended by 2 hours.
    Virginia is emerging as a major hot spot, with tens of thousands of voters at risk. Check out some of the reports here. If you are voting in Virginia, please do not get discouraged and leave the polls.
    We've received hundreds of calls to the Election Protection Hotline - 1-866-OUR-VOTE - from Virginia voters reporting a variety of problems:

Massive machine failures across the state

Over 2 dozen precincts opening late

Voters turned away from the polls

Reports of voter intimidation

This is a non-partisan group, Virginia needs to get its act together but the voters need more time.

2. rbell

rbell Active Member

(sigh)

And next post will lay blame for all this at the Republicans' feet.

Then, later, the accusations will turn out to be contrived.

However, the urban legends will continue ad nauseum, and will be repeated as though they are true for years.

Can you tell we've been through this before?

By the way...this organization, strangely enough, never seems to uncover any problematic issues from democrats. Why do you recon that is? :rolleyes:

This organization is about as "non-partisan" as the ACLU (which runs a banner at the bottom of this bunch's website).

3. carpro

carpro Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    :laugh: Yeah, right.

4. North Carolina Tentmaker

UTUBE, how can extending the hours help?

If you are in line by 7:00 they have to keep the polls open until you get your vote, no matter how long you have to stay in line.

One of my biggest fears is that someone will attempt to vote twice. I am afraid longer hours might make this more likely.

5. canadyjd

canadyjd Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Here is what I found on "Election Protection".

http://www.workingfordemocracy.org/ep_mission.php

http://site.pfaw.org/site/PageServer?pagename=homepagenew

http://www.lawyerscommittee.org/2005website/home/home.html

Focused primarily on African American issues and opposed both of Bush’s Supreme Court Nominees.

peace to you:praying:

6. carpro

carpro Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
  7. JustChristian

JustChristian New Member

My fear is that the elderly or disabled people in that line can't stand on their feet for 8 or 9 hours. We had people stand in line for 6 1/2 hours in Atlanta. (I need to change my location with my move.)

8. LeBuick

LeBuick New Member

Just don't blame ACORN, they weren't there...

And when you see the counties where the machines are broken and voters are being turned away, well, I don't think it will matter anyway.

9. Pastor Larry

Pastor Larry <b>Moderator</b>
    Site Supporter

Typical of liberals to encourage the breaking of laws. If the law says that the polls close at a particular time, then that is when they should close. We don't live in a country where we make it up as we go along. That is what you guys got all over Bush for in intelligence gathering that he was breaking laws. Now you want laws broken. You need to make up your minds.

10. LeBuick

LeBuick New Member

So why is it fair that the courts agreed to accept absentee ballots in VA until the 14th. Laws are made for us and not us for the laws. Just as we made the law, we can always change it.

11. Marcia

Marcia Active Member

I'm in VA. The elderly and infirm were able to vote early here. You had to meet certain requirements to vote early - - that you would be absent, that you work at least 11 hours, elderly/infirm, and physical problems. That's it.

But your choices on the paper ballots were supposed to be filled in and not checked. I didn't know that and checked my choices, so my ballot may not be counted!

12. LeBuick

LeBuick New Member

That really sucks, I look for the day when we have an election system in place that will assure and safeguard this precious right for all voices to be heard.

13. YOUTUBECANBESAVED

Virginia Is Blue Now

THE OLD DOMINION is now the NEW DOMINION

The judge looked it over and denied it but he did light a fire under some people and Obama with the help of the ghost of Robert E. Lee :wavey: marched to victory anyway. hahahahaha

God Bless you Mr. President Barack Obama for the 50 state strategy and taking the hard road, and so it happened a Red State comes back into the United States.:thumbs: hahahahaha

also the young people who came out in record numbers and Howard Dean and his genius in reaching out to all areas of America.

The Latinos in record numbers, we will get you your Amnesty the right way and welcome you into the Democratic fold , woo hooo! 20 million new Democrats! hahahahahaha

I think North Carolina went as well for Obama, so he won in all areas of the country.

The North , The South, The East, and the West
    America decided to choose the Very Brightest
    The Very Best.

Thanks Baptist Believer you are one to be admired, you and KenH you both were savaged on this board but yet you showed courage and persevered.

Blessings in Jesus name

14. Pastor Larry

Site Supporter

I don't think it is. You would have to ask someone who thinks that it is.

In the particular situation, however, I think the issue is that the state did not send ballots out in a timely fashion thereby preventing people from getting them back in time.

As I have said, early voting and absentee voting should stop. It should be ruled unconstitutional. The constitution provides for an election on the first Tuesday after the first Monday in November. Everyone who doesn't cast their ballot on that day is voting unconstitutionally.

15. YOUTUBECANBESAVED

I disagree

Progressive Election change is coming to include more and not exclude or suppress . Early voting will be nationwide, technology and more absentte voting and not less will happen, hopefully we will be voting on weekends as well. Change is good in a democracy ,when it comes to including more and not less.

Michigan went blue very blue, hope you are blue too, in a good way :laugh:

16. Mexdeaf

Mexdeaf New Member

We will all be blue soon enough.:tear:

17. Pastor Larry

Site Supporter

No it's not. Including more is not better when the civil discourse goes down. I am not in favor of everyone voting. I think there ought to be education required to vote. We don't do anything else in life with the haphazardness and ignorance that we do elections with. You wouldn't trust your life to doctor's who make decisions like voters do. Why would you trust the country to them?

I am sad for this country, and sad for the millions who will never see the light of day thanks to the pragmatism of people like yourself.

I am glad that we elected a black man for a president. I am sad that it is such an inept, inexperienced man who shows no ability to be anything other than a good speaker. There are far better black men and women who could have broken this color barrier.

The economy will recover, even if you or I were president, because it has little if anything to do with presidents. The courts will take longer to recover. The millions of babies will never recover.

18. NaasPreacher (C4K)

NaasPreacher (C4K) Well-Known Member

Is that in the constitution? I thought it was US code. On a break at work so don't have access, but would appreciate it someone could check out the constitution and find which article that is in.

19. sag38

sag38 Active Member

Where does the constitution even extend to us the right to vote? Can you show it to us please?

20. rbell

rbell Active Member

Wow.

"Progressive" is code for liberal. Why not just be honest, that more government control in every facet of our lives, and that you are more interested in "fairness" than "justice?" Those "code words" fool no one...

More of this "election fraud" garbage, huh? As usual, the lie gets repeated with no documentation. You cannot find ONE documented case of voter intimidation in 2000 and '04. Of course, you can find on your favorite site, youtube, video evidence of black panthers standing at a door to an election site, brandishing a stick. But THAT'S not "supression" :rolleyes:

Oh. I forgot. Certain groups cannot be guilty of such.

You know, reality is a nice concept. You should check it out sometime.

Let me see...no paper trail...yep, that works for leftists. Then, nothing can be proven when homeless men vote 72 times after being paid with cigarettes. Hmmm....yep, early voting will allow the media to call a race before election day. THAT works. While you're at it, don't forget the other vital concept of leftist voting reform: Don't require any ID. That way, no one is "disenfranchised" (in the 1960's, a valid worry. Today, it means we need untraceable votes. Doubt me? Look up Perry County and Bullock County, Alabama. Unlike some, we have documented issues of voter fraud here...but it's done by leftists, and challenges to those elections always bring up "racism" charges.)

Why are you scared of votes with paper trails? Why do you fear the simple concept of going to the voting site and casting a traceable, paper ballot on the day that is by law set aside?

I think we all know the answer to that.

First, we are not a democracy. You probably got that concept from a government school, and I'm sorry, but you have bad info. Look it up.

Secondly, if something works, and you insist on "changing" it...well, if you can't understand that logic, get back with me, and I'll explain.

I'll repeat the truth again...you are obsessed with this idea that folks are not getting to vote, or not getting their vote counted. Once again, if you have proof, then put up. Otherwise...take a break. :D

And I'll say it: Some people shouldn't vote. Below are the folks I think should not vote (notice I did not say should be prohibited by law, although I think the first one should...but the following is my opinion):
    • Most felons (that one's being fought most places).
    • If you don't even know who your representative is (Dem OR Repub) you shouldn't vote. You're too uninformed.
    • I know that some voting places are not provided with good instructions...and that's their fault. (BTW, it has NOTHING to do with race or class. Wise up). But...IF you're provided with clear instructions, and you still can't fill out a ballot properly, then you shouldn't vote...or at least you should have a helper.
    • IMO, if you are on government assistance long-term, then you shouldn't vote. Conflict of interest. You'll simply vote who will give you the biggest "raise." Pensions, SS, veterans benefits, etc., do NOT qualify here. I'm talking about people who take from the system and are not (have not been) contributing.
    • Non-citizens. I can't believe I have to put this in here, but many in the People's Republic of Kalifornia seems to think it's a good idea.
    That was classy.

Both sides need to move on. Election's over. Time to pray for our leadership--now, and those taking over in January.

Those who are disappointed need to show grace, and lift up Obama, and cease with the character attacks.

Those who voted for Obama need to lay off the gloating.