1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Prayer bracelets?

Discussion in 'Other Christian Denominations' started by nate, Feb 1, 2006.

1. NaasPreacher (C4K)

NaasPreacher (C4K) Well-Known Member

If all these things are is a method of remembering who to pray for than how can there be a problem? I remember someone teaching how to use your fingers as a way to remember to pray for people.

No claims these beads have any kind of New Age power.

2. nate

nate New Member

No no one in the Bible that we know of used prayer beads. But they also did not stand behind pulpits.
    Again these beads are used as a help during prayer to remember things and help one concentrate. It has no power. It's just a little strand of beads.

3. webdog

webdog Active Member
    Site Supporter

What would it be called to tie a string around your finger that helps you remember to pray for someone? If the bracelet is used similar to this, I have no problem with that. I also have no problem with rosary beads. I do have a problem with the object of the prayer while holding them. [​IMG]
    Next week we are giving out "prayer stones" to go along with the message to either put on your pillow or in your shoe as a different and fun way to remind you to pray daily.

4. nate

nate New Member

Actaully no there is a huge difference between using prayer beads in the manner we're speaking of and the RCC use of the Rosary! The RCC views the Rosary as a Sacramental. A way to purge sin. On the other hand Christian prayer chains are used to help one remember things to pray for and consentrate.

Crystals? No as I and others have repeatedly said these beads contain no power. There is no mystical force around them. They are used by some as C4K suggested as maybe a prayer list.

5. nate

nate New Member

Likewise. The prayers to Mary attached to the Rosary are unfortunate.Like the rock idea.

6. Johnv

Johnv New Member

Good point. BTW, Jews in Jesus' time used prayer shawls. Jesus, a devout Jew, would have used one. Scripture never once denounces them.

7. standingfirminChrist

The prayer shawl was to cover their heads to keep their eyes from being distracted. A far cry from beads in the hand.

8. Linda64

Linda64 New Member

Orthodox Jews still use prayer shawls

9. nate

nate New Member

How are using beads to help with concentration 'a far cry' from using a shawl to cover your eyes?

10. Linda64

Linda64 New Member

Jesus gave His disciples a "model" prayer in Matthew 6:9-13. In 1 Thess. 5:17 we are to "pray without ceasing"--which means to always be in a prayerful attitude. Read the words of this famous hymn by Hel­en H. Lem­mel, written in 1922:

TURN YOUR EYES UPON JESUS

O soul, are you weary and troubled?
    No light in the darkness you see?
    There’s a light for a look at the Savior,
    And life more abundant and free!

Refrain

Turn your eyes upon Jesus,
    Look full in His wonderful face,
    And the things of earth will grow strangely dim,
    In the light of His glory and grace.

Through death into life everlasting
    He passed, and we follow Him there;
    Over us sin no more hath dominion—
    For more than conquerors we are!

Refrain

His Word shall not fail you—He promised;
    Believe Him, and all will be well:
    Then go to a world that is dying,
    His perfect salvation to tell!

Refrain

We don't need "prayer bracelets, beads,etc" when we turn our eyes unto Jesus--the Author and Finisher of our faith!! (Hebrews 12:2)

11. Marcia

Marcia Active Member

I've read all the views here and I see what each side is saying.

I think that on the face of it, using beads as a way to concentrate could be alright. However, I see a danger with them as well:
    1. Using them daily could make prayer a rote thing
    2. Using them daily could lead to make one feel more "spiritual;" this is a common human temptation, I believe
    3. Using the beads daily could make one dependent on them

Personally, I would not want to use them as the prayer bead bracelets I've seen are Buddhist. They were real popular a year or two ago and were being sold in dept. stores. Prayer beads would just remind me of the buddhist beads, especially since I was involved in buddhism, though I did not use any beads nor did I pray to anyone except some Hindu gurus (I combined Hindu and buddhist and Taoist beliefs, pretty common with new agers).

I think if someone uses them and is praying sincerely, it's okay. But I still feel wary of it.

12. DHK

DHK <b>Moderator</b>

I try to remember to put a string around my neck each Sunday and am glad to take it off as soon as I get home. :D

13. standingfirminChrist

14. Melanie

Melanie Active Member
    Site Supporter

Well, I use my rosary every day as a rule. The word bead actually is derived from old English for pray or so I have been told.

Without getting all antsy about the rosary, I use mine to pray and reflect on aspects of the life of Jesus . Each bead can be used as a moment to reflect on the wonderfulness of the life of Jesus to save us from damnation.

The rosary can be used on a deep and intimate level of pray or it can be used as a grounding for a person in despair or great need. One of the reasons Catholics gain comfort from ritual. Again I do not particularly want to open up a derogatory discussion re this. Pray beads are used by non christians as well, (to my surprise).

Of course you do not have to have a rosary to pray the rosary (10 fingers will do it) but it is a comfort. I carry some on my person at all times...mainly to let folk know if I was in an accident I am a Catholic.

At times the profound nature of the rosary is lost by individuals and to non Catholics it can be seen as supersititious nonsense....but it is not designed to be that...it is an aid to deepen ones faith and intimacy with the Divine. It works for me and other Catholics never use it for a whole bunch of reasons......

[​IMG]

15. Melanie

Melanie Active Member
    Site Supporter

Hmmn, the beads slip thru the fingers, one is hardly aware of them, certainly not a distraction , you tend to be very focused, even in a group of folks all clutchin' their beads, heads bowed thoughts introspective....

16. Johnv

Johnv New Member

There's likewise no shortage of people who eschew prayer beads who think themselves more spiritual because of it ;)

Seriously, though, your points are well and good. So long as those points are avoided, I'm sure you're agree that prayer beads are permissible. Like I said before, I personally have no use for them. But that fact doesn't mean they're bad for all. And that's where I take issue with some of the posters: those who have decided that they're bad for all, based on a personal view instead of a scriptural view.

17. standingfirminChrist

Pray the Rosary?

Matthew 6:7 But when ye pray, use not vain repetitions, as the heathen [do]: for they think that they shall be heard for their much speaking.
    Matthew 6:8 Be not ye therefore like unto them: for your Father knoweth what things ye have need of, before ye ask him.

18. Johnv

Johnv New Member

Note the phrase "vain" repitition. Scripture does not forbid repetition in prayer, it forbids vain repetition in prayer. Big difference.

I agree (and I think most here do) that vain repetition is to be avoided. But repeating prayer? Not forbidden.

19. BobRyan

BobRyan Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    Catholics of the 20th century publish the connection to paganism for the world to see and understand.

Pagan prayer methods.

20. rbell

rbell Active Member

I have never owned a prayer bracelet.

My dad did own a "sin belt" though.

It made me pray. :eek: