1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Prayer clothes?

Discussion in 'Other Christian Denominations' started by steaver, Dec 6, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. annsni

annsni Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

I explained in a later post.

2. DHK

DHK <b>Moderator</b>

If Anne's statement is in the context of the OP, then you are simply bringing in a red herring which has nothing to do with the OP, and that is derailing the thread.
    Perhaps you may want to start your own thread on places of prayer, and/or comfort of prayer rooms, or something along that line.
    It is said that James, the half brother of Jesus, prayed so much that when he died his knees were calloused, akin to the knees of camel's knees. He didn't look for comfort. He simply got down on his knees and prayed.

3. WestminsterMan

WestminsterMan New Member

I can see that you've never experienced the fruits of arthritis. For if you had, you would not make such a childish implication.

WM

4. DHK

DHK <b>Moderator</b>

You can't assume that James never had arthritis either. They probably had more infirmities back then than we do, for they didn't have medicines, medical practices, or "qualified doctors." They endured.
    That is not the point.
    The point is that the subject matter that you are bringing is not related to the OP. It is off topic, a red herring, and has nothing to do with "prayer clothes" as related to the OP. Read the OP again. Then get back on topic. Stop trying to derail this thread.

5. WestminsterMan

WestminsterMan New Member

And a Merry Chirstmass to you too.

WM

6. Darrell C

Darrell C Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    LOL!

I think that is exactly what it means, brother Steaver. Just stopped by to say hello, my friend, it has been a while since I have been by.

The only thing I would say is that things can be accomplished by God through faith, and the faith of the individual, but I personally have my doubts to this practice.

We do see some of the charlatan "prophets" of televangelmania using this as a means of bilking those not grounded in the word, preying upon their ignorance and hopes. And as one said, when the power of God is falsely mimicked, it usually doesn't end well, or perhaps I should say...never.

Hope you had a good and Merry Christmas, brother, and best of wishes for the coming New Year.

God bless.

7. steaver

steaver Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    Greetings brother Darrell, I'm not here much lately myself, very busy with other projects, but I like to stop in when I have something new to bounce off the brothers and sisters in Christ here.

The discussion became pretty active after I posted that quote you used.

May God bless you richly as well!

8. Darrell C

Darrell C Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Hey brother, glad to see you staying busy.

I have been being lazy and blaming it on the holidays, but it will soon be back to the mill...groan.

God bless.

9. Walter

Walter Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    Both of the Goertner's (both Vernon and Marjoe) sold 'prayer clothes' as ways to cure the sick and dying. Years ago, after I became a Christian, I attended Trinity Christian Center in San Marcos, Ca and Vernon Goertner was an associate pastor there. Most of the congregation either wasn't aware of Vernon's shady past or didn't care. After watching the movie 'Marjoe' I found out that Vernon was Marjoe's dad. I had already started to question some of the so-called 'healings' taking place during the services but then investigating Vernon further convinced me to look for a different place to worship.

Anyone not familiar with the Goertner's and their fraudulent ways: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Marjoe_Gortner

#149 Walter, Jan 8, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 8, 2012
  10. Jerome

Jerome Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    For those incredulous about Baptists, especially the Reformed faction, involving themselves in this 'Stations of the Cross' business,

Here is Sojourn Church Louisville's 'Stations of the Cross' page from several years ago.
    This is glfredrick's former church, which he describes as "fully Baptist and Reformed":

http://www.the930.org/2007/02/13/tributes-for-kings-the-stations-of-the-cross-by-kevin-rolly/

As you can see, the Station VI picture is of St. Veronica wiping Jesus' face with her famous cloth.

11. steaver

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    Hey! A ressurrected thread on Ressurrection Sunday! :tongue3:

12. billwald

billwald New Member

All of you who have sent your ten bucks into a radio/TV preacher for a paryer pillow - 'fess up.

13. steaver

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    Not me! I :praying: directly to the Father via Jesus Christ.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.